Overload in San Francisco

bradley27

The only problem I can see with having a "universal recommended Settings" agreed upon by all developers, is that no one person has all those developers products.

Some lucky few may wish to fly the short hop from Seattle to Vancouver and have Orbx PNW, Taxi2Gate KSEA, Aerosoft Airbus X, REX 4, ASN, FS DreamTeam Vancouver and on and on and on, but I doubt that would be the majority. To suggest a recommended setting scenario for all addons being installed may well provide very good protection against OOMs and good performance, as the settings would be very low. But for those users not having all those packages, those low settings are essentially allowing resources to go to waste.

Then we get into the territory of "suggest a range of settings for different users based on their installations"... Except the degree of customization this would need is staggering. Not to mention some users prefer visuals over performance, so catering to every user preference and every user configuration is simply not possible.

Additionally, no developer wants to say to their users "Hey! look at these amazing details we added to our product! We recommend you use lower settings so you'll never see them, but they're there and they're awesome!"... Product features are there to be used, and developers want users to be able to do so. 

All in all, with all things considered, most developers will therefore suggest settings based on how to get the most out of your system assuming that this is your only addon installed. For users installing multiple high fidelity addons for simultaneous use, the onus of determining what sacrifices to make and where to make them fall to them and them alone. 

But what I don't understand is that the developers do KNOW about the problems and the limitations of FSX/FSX SE/P3D; however, still choose to use options that are not really "fit" for FSX/SE/P3D, maybe Xplain is a different story. I would love to know the story behind FB KSFO using textures (adding flowers in front of the main terminal...really?) and a lot of other unnecessary things when they are really well aware that they will only cause problems. What good are those flowers to me when I will only OOM?

Archived