Anyone live near Bakersfield, California?

Tim Harris

Rather see Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, or Santa Barbara.  Same area, scenic, mixed use with commercial flights, control tower, instrument approaches.  Paso Robles would be nice too...no tower but everything else and surrounded by some nice wineries. Not that I'd complain.

Dangerous business you're asking here, Tim. 

The American Lung Association ranked Bakersfield as the most ozone-polluted city in the nation in 2006.[46] It was also ranked as the second-most polluted city in terms of both short-term and year-round particle pollution.[47][48] In Peter Greenberg's book Don't Go There!, Bakersfield is mentioned for its high ozone levels, and postulates that its rapid increase in size is causing the increasing rate of pollution from new construction.[49]

As of 2013, when measured by atmospheric particulate matter—specifically PM10, particles of 10 Âµm or less—Bakersfield is listed as having the worst air in the United States.[50] 

<cough> :wacko:  <cough>

The American Lung Association ranked Bakersfield as the most ozone-polluted city in the nation in 2006.[46] It was also ranked as the second-most polluted city in terms of both short-term and year-round particle pollution.[47][48] In Peter Greenberg's book Don't Go There!, Bakersfield is mentioned for its high ozone levels, and postulates that its rapid increase in size is causing the increasing rate of pollution from new construction.[49]

As of 2013, when measured by atmospheric particulate matter—specifically PM10, particles of 10 Âµm or less—Bakersfield is listed as having the worst air in the United States.[50] 

As long as Orbx will not create a new pollution flow it should not be a prob to virtually visit this area ;-)

As long as Orbx will not create a new pollution flow it should not be a prob to virtually visit this area ;-)

Remember, the goal is to be "as real as it gets". So, we will have a HazeFlow and a SmogFlow. The SDK can handle particles all right. 

Remember, the goal is to be "as real as it gets". So, we will have a HazeFlow and a SmogFlow. The SDK can handle particles all right. 

::)  Hospital flow...ambulance flow...the list goes on and on.....

Rather see Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, or Santa Barbara.  Same area, scenic, mixed use with commercial flights, control tower, instrument approaches.  Paso Robles would be nice too...no tower but everything else and surrounded by some nice wineries. Not that I'd complain.

Another developer has already done Santa Barbara.

Stew

That's why most of my friends who can do so have moved out of B-field and over to the coast, Morro Bay, Cayucos, San Luis, etc.

Let me know if you dont find anyone in the next week, I'm not close particularly close, but I can always use an excuse to fly up there for you. 

Thanks Jordan, we'll see how we go with the leads so far

Rather see..

Btw its not Bakersfield haha ;)

That could very well be the one -- it is most likely going to involve a pretty stunning natural setting, if ORBX is interseted in doing it, so that means mountains or coastline, generally speaking. They might surprise us and do something out in the desert, like in Mojave, but I wouldn't bet on it. Probably Stew's guess is my guess, now that he has pointed it out.

EDIT: But isn't guessing half the fun?

• 3 months later...

Yep!  The place is still there--flew there the other day on a longish tour of the whole area to see how it looks with SCA enabled.  Not bad at all!  I have a friend who lives in Bakersfield who might be willing to fly up there and take some pictures, but he hasn't responded to my inquiries to do so.  Not a good sign......

25 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Yep!  The place is still there--flew there the other day on a longish tour of the whole area to see how it looks with SCA enabled.  Not bad at all!  I have a friend who lives in Bakersfield who might be willing to fly up there and take some pictures, but he hasn't responded to my inquiries to do so.  Not a good sign......

well, I wouldn't hate to have to choose between Kern Valley and PNG 2 :lol: !

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic/thread, but yes +1 for living in Bakersfield CA. Born and raised, and in the maintenance/construction industry for 15 years. I can tell you damn near every architectural/engineering specification of this town you'd ever care to know, from the 178 to the 58 to the 204 from the 99 into what will be the westside parkway down to the grapevine back around to the Killer Kern Canyon coming home to oildale after hanging with the rich folks at  7 oaks who got off work at the refinery *big gasp for air*....  I think ill just land a chopper on the valley plaza mall. They called and said their A/C is broke down.

what do you need?

4 hours ago, KernRussCo said:

I know this is an old topic/thread, but yes +1 for living in Bakersfield CA. Born and raised, and in the maintenance/construction industry for 15 years. I can tell you damn near every architectural/engineering specification of this town you'd ever care to know, from the 178 to the 58 to the 204 from the 99 into what will be the westside parkway down to the grapevine back around to the Killer Kern Canyon coming home to oildale after hanging with the rich folks at  7 oaks who got off work at the refinery *big gasp for air*....  I think ill just land a chopper on the valley plaza mall. They called and said their A/C is broke down.

what do you need?

The airport has already been released.  Nice job, btw.

On 9/3/2015 at 10:37 AM, Stewart Hobson said:

It's situated near Lake Isabella, a beautiful area and worthy of Tim's efforts.

Stew

ORBX Kern Valley is already available and it is beautiful. (L05).

Archived