OpenLC NA - Penticton, BC...

Wow. That is amazing. I live in Kelowna and of course know Penticton well enough to say that is truly bloody real. Great work Rob and orbx.

I'll have to wave next time I'm on a Kelowna overnight... I fly the Horizon Q400s in there from time to time :)

And yes... the OpenLC version of the area is reallY extremely good.

Great shots!

Just a question- will OpenLC make NRM/PNW  obsolete? Asking because NRM was done 5 years ago with the texture pallet back then .This looks  like an even better rendition of the area with the new textures. Maybe source data is better than what it was back when NRM was being developed (2009/2010)?

Great shots!

Just a question- will OpenLC make NRM/PNW obsolete? Asking because NRM was done 5 years ago with the texture pallet back then .This looks like an even better rendition of the area with the new textures. Maybe source data is better than what it was back when NRM was being developed (2009/2010)?

The full regions (no matter the age) will still be the cream of the crop... in the full regions, you not only get the land class and custom textures (as you get with OpenLC), but you get hand crafted vector data, special vector landclass areas, select photo real areas, custom mesh and every airport is upgraded.

The combination of FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC and global mesh product get you about 75% of the way to a full region standard.

Please please do not see this as a criticism for the sake of such. It is but a request for the advancement of realism.

I own the Full FTX region for this area, and it is my favoured area to fly. Indeed, Kelowna - Penticton - Vernon is my regular flight area as I hope to move there from Saskatchewan at some time. Last week, I was in this area for real, and one of the most obvious landmarks for Penticton is the two beaches, one to the north of the town (Lake Okanagan) and the other to the south (Skaha Lake). Indeed, I was on each of these wonderful beaches less than two weeks ago!

I have yet to see these important local features reproduced in FSX by any developer. As I love to fly ORBX, I welcomed the announcement of the upcoming product in the hope that it might add this missing factor to the Penticton area. However, I don't see it.

Of course, the screenshots do look good, (and as I still live in Saskatchewan I look forward to shots of various locations in this province), but I'd sure like to see someone add those beaches at Penticton.

Keep up the good work, my intent in pointing this out is for the good of the product, either an addition to the full FTX version, or something added in this Global product.

Best Regards

Kenneth J Kerr

Please please do not see this as a criticism for the sake of such. It is but a request for the advancement of realism.

I own the Full FTX region for this area, and it is my favoured area to fly. Indeed, Kelowna - Penticton - Vernon is my regular flight area as I hope to move there from Saskatchewan at some time. Last week, I was in this area for real, and one of the most obvious landmarks for Penticton is the two beaches, one to the north of the town (Lake Okanagan) and the other to the south (Skaha Lake). Indeed, I was on each of these wonderful beaches less than two weeks ago!

I have yet to see these important local features reproduced in FSX by any developer. As I love to fly ORBX, I welcomed the announcement of the upcoming product in the hope that it might add this missing factor to the Penticton area. However, I don't see it.

Of course, the screenshots do look good, (and as I still live in Saskatchewan I look forward to shots of various locations in this province), but I'd sure like to see someone add those beaches at Penticton.

Keep up the good work, my intent in pointing this out is for the good of the product, either an addition to the full FTX version, or something added in this Global product.

Best Regards

Kenneth J Kerr

Beaches are outside of the OpenLC scope. OpenLC is mainly a Landclass update. It does have some limited vector additions, but no beaches.

However, FTX Vector does add beaches. I would suggest creating a support topic in the Vector Support forum requesting the beaches to be added to a future update.

Similarly, you could put a report in the FTX Product Support forum to report the missing beaches in the full FTX regions.

Thanks Rob

I am not yet a user of the GLOBAL products, so I appreciate your reply and clarification as to what openLC does (and does not do), and where Vector comes into it.

Should I buy the new North America North products, I would primarily do so to improve the areas of Canada outside the FTX regions, but the Penticton shots obviously stirred my interest too.

If I may ask, is there a "beginner's guide" to using the Global products, for those who might already have an FTX region that could overlap the Global area covered?

Thanks again.

- Kenneth J Kerr

Ps.... Any chance of some screenshots round Regina CYQR, and also Yorkton CYQV Saskatchewan)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in East London (UK) and moved to Westbank, or West Kelowna as it's called now, in 2007.  I travel to Penticton every day to work and those shots are amazing.  Just waiting for my next pay cheque and will purchase this weekend.  Rob Newman, you probably fly right over my house heading out on Westbank 389 YWB.

Regards

I used to live in East London (UK) and moved to Westbank, or West Kelowna as it's called now, in 2007.  I travel to Penticton every day to work and those shots are amazing.  Just waiting for my next pay cheque and will purchase this weekend.  Rob Newman, you probably fly right over my house heading out on Westbank 389 YWB.

Regards

Good chance, yes!

I probably drove past your old house in London once or twice too... Used to live in Ruislip (based at RAF Northolt for 9 years ;) )... Very very small world!

Good chance, yes!

I probably drove past your old house in London once or twice too... Used to live in Ruislip (based at RAF Northolt for 9 years ;) )... Very very small world!

I used to work for the F.A (Football Association) at Wembley, slightly East of RAF Northolt.  Many times I used to plane spot on the A4180 by parking up in the gas station and walking to runway 25 approach.  It is indeed a small world.

Archived