Wine Country: Introducing KSTS Sonoma County Regional Airport!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sorry but yeah I have to agree. There are way too many issues I'm seeing in this one Misha. First of all in the P3D shots you posted, those red and white checkered tablecloths are nowhere near accurate. When I was there the cloths had pictures of Snoopy drinking a glass of wine. Its a quality restaurant not a picnic table. Second, in that same picture the two guys look really suspicious like there's some kind of drug deal going on there.

Also, I saw what looks like a fingerprint smudge on the terminal glass. The airport cleaners would never, ever go for this. And last but not least, whats up with the guy with the long deep pockets on his jeans??? Is he hiding a shotgun in there? This is Sonoma not Compton.

How am I supposed to enjoy the scenery with all these errors????

Thanks again all!!

In that case, sorry for my ignorance. Your work is ontop, A+ as always. 

It's absolutely fine, I can understand the impulse that many people have to have everything as accurate as possible, particularly when it is their home airport. But after 9 months of researching and developing this, you can be sure that anything that is seemingly missing or omitted has been done so with reason, either because of time constrains or problems with development/resources. The runway extension certainly would have been included if I could've secured the resources for it :) but we have both a development budget, and I also have a personal deadline for the project (which has already spilled way over what it should've been).

Cheers

All of these types of nitpicks are why previews from developers become less and less.

Also why good developers are becoming fewer and fewer, they get tired of working close to a year on a project, only to have it picked apart by armchair developers.  We can't afford to lose Misha too, so ease up.

There are way too many issues I'm seeing in this one Misha. First of all in the P3D shots you posted, those red and white checkered tablecloths are nowhere near accurate. 

I also believe the tablecloths are made out of a laminate poly-blend material. These look like they are cloth. My immersion is broken. 

Seriously though, this is like a mini-full fat region in a single package. After browsing around google maps at the coverage area, it hurts my head to imagine what it must have been like to model, hand place, and verify all of those buildings, roads, and neighborhoods. This may be the greatest ORBX product to date. 

*Edit* - I just realized this is my 200th post. So I'll be hosting a party online at this airport when its released. Meet me by the wine bar next to the restaurant for celebratory glass or merlot. 

Also why good developers are becoming fewer and fewer, they get tired of working close to a year on a project, only to have it picked apart by armchair developers.  We can't afford to lose Misha too, so ease up.

Agreed, Bruce :)

Gee thanks again guys! Did not expect such a big response. Working hard at it to get it out very soon, hang in there :)

Well you deserve it Misha, you have already given us some great airports to enjoy and there are plenty of us that are looking forwards to Sonoma.

Misha, this is totally astounding for me. I just dropped by after being away for a while and seeing STS come to life for the sim completely made my week! I met the amazing woman who is my wife of almost 39 years at the restaurant by the tower. My first flying job was at STS at the old Nation Flight Service (about where Kaiser Air is), and my first job as a part 135 Chief Pilot and DO was across the airport at the old Let's Fly (where Sonoma Jet Center is now). Soloed a couple of dozen students there and taught ground school in a classroom at the base of the tower too. Oh, the memories! Of course it looks a bit different now, but it's still the airport where I went from a newby to a pro pilot. I was a newly minted commercial and instrument rated pilot when I first taxed out there. My final tie-down was as an ATP/Commercial/Instrument/Private Pilot and CFI examiner for all singles and most all Cessna and Piper piston twins before heading to the FAA.

Seeing the added detail of Santa Rosa and even the treat of the detailed Mt. St. Helena perfectly caps this for me. I'll bet I'll be able to hover-taxi from the airport to the three different homes we had while I worked there. For someone who spent several exceptionally happy years flying out of Sonoma County, you've captured the "look and feel" well. Congratulations!

Hello Misha,

Your work so far has been absolutely phenomenal! Keep up the good work. You don't know how grateful I am that someone has finally put in some time and effort to model KSTS, I've been waiting for years! I've lived in Santa Rosa my entire life, and I've loved growing up here. As such, I'm overjoyed that you decided to model most of the city as well! Well done, truly.  :D

I do have a request for you, if it's not too much trouble. (I'm sure you're very busy.) Do you think you could post another coverage map, but this time as a top-down view, instead of at an angle? I'd just like to get a better idea of what areas of Santa Rosa are being included in the scenery. Thank you, and once again, keep up the good work!  :)

All of these types of nitpicks are why previews from developers become less and less.  Misha, your work is great and please keep it up.

It's not a nitpick to mention the length of the runway has changed.  It's a valid point.  

Thank you again so much everyone!

Herman and Brendan, I'm glad I could bring back memories :)

It's not a nitpick to mention the length of the runway has changed.  It's a valid point.  

And I have given a valid response as to why it has not been included. So can we please just leave it at that  ::)

Misha! Amazing...right in my back yard! Thanks so much. Your works is gorgeous as always. Your NA 3 fields set before you hooked up with ORBx was my intro to ORBx stuff, so I have a soft spot for your work. I'll be jumping all over this one when it is released.

Any chance I can talk you into doing Angwin Parret (2Oscar3) right next to St. Helena there? It is sweet little GA asphalt strip on a ridge, with a college observatory on the field? I would be happy to photograph any of the local fields for you if you have a mind to do more in the area.

Cheers.

Matt

Great work Misha!

I got a lot of hours in my logbook from KSTS and am quite familiar with Santa Rosa and west Sonoma County.  Most of my flying at KSTS was in a Comanche of all planes.  Looking forward to flying the A2A Comanche back to this old stomping ground.  I also worked at KSTS as a ramper for a little while.

Cheers

TJ

Misha, as always I'm kinda concerned about performance in this. I see that the terminal has an interior that looks to be quite detailed. Will there be an option to disable the interior?

Hi Outrage,

See post #48 in this topic :)

In any case, the terminal will be the very least of performance impacts. I've tested and there's literally no difference between having it on or off. In fact this is my best performing Orbx scenery for me, with completely maxed out settings I'm still getting upwards of 30-40fps, and that's with a bunch of advanced animations that I've also developed which I'll be previewing today.

Cheers

In any case, the terminal will be the very least of performance impacts. I've tested and there's literally no difference between having it on or off. In fact this is my best performing Orbx scenery for me, with completely maxed out settings I'm still getting upwards of 30-40fps, and that's with a bunch of advanced animations that I've also developed which I'll be previewing today.

Cheers

Previewing yesterday is Developer code for releasing tomorrow?? ::)  ::)

Amazing work.

Will be a day 1 purchase for sure.

TTM

Not sure how shorter runways qualify as a nitpick, it is a valid point.  He (through Orbx) is selling a product, and one that should be open to fair scrutiny.   There was a valid concern, and it was voiced. He had a valid reason, and gave it.  Good enough, and no need to treat Misha with kid gloves here.

My Q400 landings are always at about -650 fpm, so runway length is not an issue for me.  Count me in, it looks great.

FSS0323638 FTX: NA Gold USA Northern California, and many others

Fantastic work Misha. I will add this to my wishlist and move it to the top.

Not on the Wishlist for long, I'm away but bought it a couple of days ago in readiness to fly there when I get home tomorrow. I look forward to this very much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived