FTX Library Entries when changing regions

Rhett

Hi there,

I have NA regions, EU regions, most FTX airports, and FTX Global (all layers) installed. When I select, for example, the NA region (not using hybrid mode), I noticed the following scenery library entries remain:

1. All FTX Vector entries,

2. All FTX OpenLC entries for Europe,

3. ALL FTX full regions (including EU regions),

4. ALL FTX airports (including EU airports),

It does not appear to make sense (i.e. everything remains active). Is this correct? If it is correct, what is the point of selecting different regions? If it is not correct, how do I fix this? I am using the latest libraries and the FTX Central 2. Everything appears to be working ok (i.e. no apparent errors).

I have tried several times swopping active regions and the above is always the case.

Thanks and regards,

Rhett.

Rhett,

Switching Regions with FTX Central v2 has no effect on FSX Scenery Library entries that show when you access the Library.  The changes are internal to FTX/ORBX files and do not change what is displayed in the Scenery Library just various files within the ORBX folder on your hard drive.

That's not quite correct, changing from Global to a region

does add entries and from a region back to Global removes

them.

If this were the only change, you might have a point, however

there are numerous others, such as renaming files and replacing

autogen descriptions.

I think, Rhett, that you will have to trust that the developers of

FTX products do know what they are doing and that this is the best

way.

Thanks all,

I just need to confirm that indeed FTX Central 2 is working as it should. I do trust the developers fully - but I am not sure it is working correctly on my side.

Kind regards,

Rhett

That's not quite correct, changing from Global to a region

does add entries and from a region back to Global removes

them.

If this were the only change, you might have a point, however

there are numerous others, such as renaming files and replacing

autogen descriptions.

I think, Rhett, that you will have to trust that the developers of

FTX products do know what they are doing and that this is the best

way.

Nick,

can you enlighten me further on your post?  I am speaking strictly of the FSX Scenery Library when I say that switching regions in FTX Central does not alter the entries in the FSX Scenry Library.  I am aware that entries in various FSX/ORBX folders are altered but these do not change anything in the "Scenery Library" displayed with WORLD/Scenery Libraries while in FSX.

Nick,

apparently were not on the same page here.  I use FSX (DX9) (no P3D or DX10) and no matter what I set in FTX Central v2 for "Group" Global, Europe, North America, Oceana there is no change of anything displayed in the FSX Scenery Library.  I am not speaking of what changing regions changes internally within FSX only what you see when accessing the FSX Scenery Library.  All the entries are present, none are ommited or added.  What does chage is the Scenery File Indexes and Database which is re-written when you start FSX after a region change.

As an example in my FSX Scenery Library I have a total of 418 different entries and that number does not change no matter what region I select with FTX Central V2.

Hi there,

I have NA regions, EU regions, most FTX airports, and FTX Global (all layers) installed. When I select, for example, the NA region (not using hybrid mode), I noticed the following scenery library entries remain:

1. All FTX Vector entries,

2. All FTX OpenLC entries for Europe,

3. ALL FTX full regions (including EU regions),

4. ALL FTX airports (including EU airports),

It does not appear to make sense (i.e. everything remains active). Is this correct? If it is correct, what is the point of selecting different regions? If it is not correct, how do I fix this? I am using the latest libraries and the FTX Central 2. Everything appears to be working ok (i.e. no apparent errors).

I have tried several times swopping active regions and the above is always the case.

Thanks and regards,

Rhett.

And, Rhett, I have just learned that you have to (manually) put OpenLC below all other FTX entries to enjoy the full landclass work of the region packs...: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98227-many-of-my-norway-airports-have-a-grey-brown-default-surrounding/ 

Nick,

apparently were not on the same page here.  I use FSX (DX9) (no P3D or DX10) and no matter what I set in FTX Central v2 for "Group" Global, Europe, North America, Oceana there is no change of anything displayed in the FSX Scenery Library.  I am not speaking of what changing regions changes internally within FSX only what you see when accessing the FSX Scenery Library.  All the entries are present, none are ommited or added.  What does chage is the Scenery File Indexes and Database which is re-written when you start FSX after a region change.

As an example in my FSX Scenery Library I have a total of 418 different entries and that number does not change no matter what region I select with FTX Central V2.

With apologies to Rhett, whose topic is being derailed,

but who might find it interesting......

I can only conclude that your installation is not working properly.

This is how mine works.

Default scenery.cfg file

Default.jpg

FTX Global set

Global.jpg

FTX North America set

Areas.jpg

And, Rhett, I have just learned that you have to (manually) put OpenLC below all other FTX entries to enjoy the full landclass work of the region packs...: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98227-many-of-my-norway-airports-have-a-grey-brown-default-surrounding/ 

My understanding is that the installer will place the FTX OpenLCs automatically where they belong.  I think Holger's point was that a third party LC won't be placed properly (below all FTX entries) by its installer.  There should be no problems with the various FTX Open LC entries.

Stew

Thanks everyone for your input. I have just checked and can confirm on my setup :

1. that selecting any area (eg NA) adds all the full fat regions in that area as well as other areas (eg EU). All airports and Global entries remain.

2. that selecting FTX Global only removes all the full fat regions. All airports and Global entries remain.

For any active area (eg NA, EU, Global), the VECTOR, OpenLC and all airports entries remain regardless.

This seems to be in line with what Nick observed on his setup so I will assume it is correct. However, ....

Interestingly, in order of highest to lowest order of priority, this is the order of scenery library entries :

1. OpenLC,

2. FTX Airports,

3. Full fat FTX regions (only if NA or EU is active)

4. Tongass Fjords,

5. Some Default FSX Entries (Edwards AFB etc.)

6. Pilots Global 2010 mesh entries

7. Other default FSX Entries (base entries etc.)

7. FTX VECTOR entries as per correct insertion points

It does not seem right that OpenLC entries are at the top, above the full fat regions when, for example, EU area is active.

Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Rhett,

your observations are correct and the activation/deactivation of the FTX entries is as intended.

Note that the entries for the Global product series (Vector and openLC) are independent of the FTX block of regions and airports and thus are not influenced by switching groups in FTX Central. And, indeed, openLC needs to be at lower display priority than the FTX block; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81831-setting-your-openlc-entries/

Also, a reminder that the scenery "layer cake", priorities, etc., are described in detail in our "definite guide": http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Cheers, Holger

Archived