FSX Steam? I'm sticking with FSX Legacy for now...comments please

Just got my new rig - see specs below. Still got my boxed FSX/Acceleration DVDs. Installed them (separate myfsx folder on their own drive)...no problems.

Then...started reading all the posts in the Steam Forum. Thinking...before installing all Orbx stuff should I bite the bullet, forget Legacy, DL Steam, install it on my second - empty - hdd, then install all my Orbx stuff on Steam???

After much thought I've made my mind up, I think! Bearing in mind:

1:Likely problems now that FSX Legacy is already installed;

2:Problems - albeit probably relatively short lived - a significant number of Steam users seem to be having with their Orbx addons;

3: The superb results Iain Emms still achieves with FSX Legacy...

I've decided to stick with Legacy - for now.I've always got the second drive for,Steam if I decide to go down that route in the future.

Hope all you guys think that's reasonable...even sensible!

Don

Beginning to consider reinstalling FSX legacy, or going down another route for my Scenery upgrades. ORBX England will not install into my FSX SE despite being assured that it would. Spent three days of hoking and poking and still no further on. Very frustrated.

Running FSX:SE and DX9 here and it looks super, I just can't seem to achive the same look with FSX:SE and DX10. I'm also running P3Dv2.5 but I'm going to have to spend megabucks on a new system that will run that the way I want it and to get it looking good.

All my scenery has installed perfectly, apart from CYSE and I'm hoping a re-install will fix that,

Simon

FSX Steam runs brilliantly on its own, after installing, I've never seen FSX looking so smooth, but in my case I can't clear my reg of original files after uninstalling FSX, so my orbx etc addons wont install into steam, without horrendous tweaking,

so I'm running P3D v 2.5, on default settings, and only in Orbx UK regions, with quite good results, even on my modest rig, so I'll wait for FSX SE, to be sorted out re: addons, and then I'd re install like a flash!

Cheers,

Further to my previous, after days of ups and downs, finally succeeded and cleared a path to installing FSX SE, with Nick and Ed's advice, I now have FSX SE up and running smoothly, with ASN and REX Soft Clouds, now comes the long dread of re installing all my Orbx addons!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished installing all my Orbx addons, took me a full week!...so far very pleased with FSX SE, very smooth with a decent FPS increase in all places over FSX gold, even over the usual hot spots!

Cheers,

Nice one Mal, top marks for perseverance.

cheers Reg

Hi Guys,

Further to my previous, after full installation of FSX SE and my complete collection of all Orbx, add-ons, today has been my first day of flight testing the sim', and unfortunately I have experienced a number of the dreaded CTD's, and OOM's! At the moment I appear to be using more VAS, with FSX SE, than I did with FSX boxed..I was under the impression that FSX SE used less, hence the less chance of OOM's, strange!

So more testing will continue, before any further decisions are to be made...disappointing!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I have switched to FSX-SE on a new PC with a Pentium G3258 processor on a Z97 motherboard with a GTX570 video card.  Looks and flys better than FSX on a X79 motherboard and a GTX 970 video card.  I'm flying right now between Juneau and Skagway in Ant's Drifter loving mountain and cloud reflections in the water.  Never saw that in my FSX installations.  ORBX, REX Softclouds, FSX-SE and the Carenado PC12 have made flightsim fun again without any tweaking.  I was going to go to P3D but don't see the need for that right now.  Got to go, it is time to land in Skagway.

If you're flying happily with FSX and have no issue with it's performance, then perhaps FSX Steam Edition is not an investment worth your time. However, there does appear to be a great deal of misunderstanding, and even some outright misinformation circulating about FSX Steam Edition... At the end of the day, it's a personal choice, but I for one have seen many benefits since my move to Steam Edition and while I'm not trying to be a salesman, dismissing FSX Steam Edition because of a sense of "legacy loyalty" may be holding your sim world back considerably...

Some things you need to know about FSX Steam Edition:

1. The core program is the same, but it has been recompiled using newer generation software

2. Multiple "old time" bugs have been squashed

3. The usable data provided is the same

4. The price (during the frequent sales) is very low

5. It requires Steam client to be installed and running

6. Addon structure and functionality is the same or very slightly different

What this all means to you, the end user:

1. The recompile has provided many advantages behind the scenes. FSX Steam Edition runs much more efficiently and now provides much higher frame rates for any given scenario than the same would provide with Legacy FSX. More important than FPS however is the recompile has made memory management much more streamlined so used Virtual Address Space (VAS) is now released back to the pool for reuse far more efficiently, the upshot of which is a drastic reduction in Out Of Memory Errors (OOM). This may not matter to some legacy users if OOM is not an issue, but some of the sacrifices that legacy users have to make in order to keep the OOM at bay can now be recovered... This means higher detail with no VAS penalty.

2. In addition to basic compilation improvements, several bugs in the core sim engine have been addressed, mainly texture handling and use. The upshot of this of course is better terrain loading and aircraft loading. FSX Steam Edition also has a few changes to the way the FSX.cfg defaults are set... Now, there is no need to tweak (except if you wish to use the "Affinity Mask" tweak for multi core processors) as you can set the texture load between 1024, 2048 and 4096 directly from the settings page, and Highmemfix is incorporated automatically now.

3. The scenery and aircraft are the same as that provided in the Legacy version. Not much to say about that other than you can expect the same world as the legacy version.

4. Steam has frequent sales, during which FSX Steam Edition is often as low as $5. If nothing else, it's a small price for a permanent backup copy. Additionally, it's not a lot to lose if you don't like it.

5. Steam has, for some reason, developed a strange reputation among simmers. Often viewed as a sinister entity, or a casual "gamer" program. While it is indeed true that the vast majority of titles on Steam are indeed true games, Steam does stock every type of software you can think of... from 3D design packages, to music studios, to simulations, and yes... games. Further, Steam is really nothing more than an online store front with added security. Purchasing FSX Steam Edition does not mean you are going to be bombarded with advertisements. The Steam Client sits quietly in the system tray and keeps to itself. Major advantages of Steam are the fact that you will always have a backup of FSX ready if you need it, it has built in integrity checkers to fix a broken installation, and does not require activation codes or CD Keys.

6. A very prolific misunderstanding about FSX Steam Edition is that existing addons will no longer function and you will be "locked in" to purchasing Steam Edition versions direct from Steam. This is simply not the case. The addons system is 99% identical to Legacy and the vast majority of addons will work immediately by simply running their installer. For those few addons that do not work right away, patches and new installers have already been created. For example, Active Sky Next, Orbx products, PMDG, Majestic Q400, Flightbeam Airports... All the "heavy hitters" known within the addon community have already been converted for full compatibility. You will not lose any current addons.

All in all, the move from Legacy FSX to FSX Steam Edition is only daunting by the fact that you need to reinstall things... Once they are reinstalled, FSX Steam Edition runs better, faster and has a future of regular updates and enhancements ahead of it, the same of which can't be said of legacy. At the very least, those who use lower settings in Legacy as an attempt to recoup some FPS or VAS (to make it usable) can now crank the setting up higher and have a better sim world to enjoy... After all, if someone released a magic payware upgrade for Legacy that promised much higher preformance and no more OOM, I'm sure everyone would be interested... And that is essentially what FSX Steam Edition is.

Again, when it comes down to it, it's up to the end user... Brand loyalty is a wonderful thing... But understanding the benefits of Steam Edition and not falling for the "it's a terrible idea!" feelings may just yield a sim experience that you never knew you could have ;)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been running fsx steam with no problems I have rex installed and active skynext and also I have installed flight 1 ultimate traffic 2 today.

And I have not have any problems at all with ultimate traffic 2 I did not know if it would work or not glad I installed the program and it goes well with my

Aerosoft airports I have installed .

Archived