Favorite Aircraft Innovators

Benjamin555

Evening All, 

I figured this would be a great place to ask, because the community feels very rich in the sense of aviation enthusiasts, experts, and so forth. A quick question for the community running on Prepar3d. What's your favorite aircraft vendor (e.g. PMDG, A2A, iFly, etc.), and which equipment do you love from them? I'm hoping to come across a few I've never heard of :), as I've seen some pretty awesome community screenshots!

- Benjamin

G'day Benjamin

My favourites are:-  Ant's Airplanes -  great value for money and just top class all round aircraft (Eaglet, Sierra Drifter  and T-28D.)

Carenado - excellent range of GA some a little dated now but I still love them. (Most single engine Cessna and Piper. Cessna 340 and Beech Baron.)

Alabeo - top class aircraft with great sound. Excellent support too. (Cruz Piper Sport, Cessna 195, 188, Beech D17 and Waco YMF-5)

Virtualcol -  cheap, plenty of liveries and simple systems (EMB170,190, ATR 42, 72, SAAB 340,2000)

I have put in brackets the ones I have.

If I had to choose just one plane it would be the Ant's Eaglet.

Over the years, I bought about a score of payware aircraft from various vendors. Mostly GA and war birds with a couple of liners.

The only ones I 've never being disappointed with, in any way, are A2A's (Cub, Cherokee, Skylane, P40, P51, B377) and RealAir's (SF260, Spitfire, Scout/Citabria package in FS9, the Lancair Legacy in FSX, soon the Duke T for P3D). Excellent physical/systems modeling and flight dynamics, great framerate (optimization), awesome support including documentation and updates. As we say in French, you can buy anything from them with your eyes shut. I hesitated a few months before buying the Cherokee as I felt the aircraft a little lame. Stupid of me. After buying her I exclusively flew her for months ! These vendors make their aircraft grow on you. I also love the quaint Sibwings An-2 even if the product is unfortunately dead as the developper's gone AWOL .

Evening All, 

So I took the step forward, and decided to purchase RealAir's Duke V2 for Prepar3d (mainly based on recommendation within). Talk about a beauty! I'm sincerely blown away by the quality of this aircraft, and how FAST she rockets to 20,000ft lol. Shot below from the PNW. I sense many many months enjoying this equipment. 

I'm curious if anyone has heavy aircraft vendor recommendations, beyond PMDG? While I LOVE my PMDG 777, it's quite difficult to find comparable quality elsewhere. Of course PMDG has my business for future Prepar3d equipment beyond the 777, but wondering if there are any other vendors for Boeing, Airbus, etc. 

Thanks everyone! 

Benjamin

2015-2-28_13-38-57-723.jpg

It really all depends on what you're into :)

For simple, "get in and fly" aircraft that look great and fly pretty well too, you can't beat Alabeo or Carenado... they actually started out as just Carenado but now it seems that Alabeo focuses on the light to mid range GA aircraft (their first multi engine plan is coming out soon), and Carenado now focuses on the high end turbine GA aircraft. Either way, they're very good and can't beat the prices for what you get.

Realair also are one if my faves... extremely well presented and accurate aircraft. They take a little more getting used to, and are not quite the simple "plug and play" addons, but if you're looking for accuracy and great looks in one package for a decent price, Realair has that.

A2A is probably the pinnacle of realism... and it's hard to fault that aspect of their products, but like all things in life, you have to pay... they're not cheap so buying A2A means you're probably serious about learning that specific aircraft.

Majestic are another one of the heavy hitters where realism is concerned. But they take that realism and apply it to commercial aircraft. Soecifically, the Bombardier Q range. Their latest Q400 is stunningly accurate.

Of the smaller developers, I quite like Ant's Airplanes... he does a very nice freeware Tiger Moth and the T-28 Trojan package is very very nice.

And don't forget Iris... they make some great military aircraft. I only have their PC9 trainer package, but it's a stunner... be warned though, familiarize yourself with the controls BEFORE trying to run the startup checklist... I ran the battery down and couldn't start it while I fumbled around looking for switches ;)

A2A is probably the pinnacle of realism... and it's hard to fault that aspect of their products, but like all things in life, you have to pay... they're not cheap so buying A2A means you're probably serious about learning that specific aircraft.

A2A price seem fair and altogether reasonable (50 bucks !) as they develop not only aircrat but also a partial simulation engine running out of the sim (accusim). And the upgrade, sometimes substantial,  are free.

I think I would go by the aircraft produced, rather than any particular developer. A2A and PMDG are superb, with their philosophy regarding accuracy, realism and systems functionality, but the aircraft itself has to interest me. I'd never bought anything from Just Flight, but two of their releases last year ( the Chipmunk and Canberra PR9 ) were aircraft that I'm particularly interested in.

So, for me, it's primarily the aircraft, secondly the developer.  :)

Obviously it depends on what you want to fly, but I have to second (or third?) the Majestic Q400, easily at least on par with PMDG, stunning realism.  Very apparent are their pains to accurately model the systems, so it is complex which may or may not be what you're looking for.  The sound is spot-on, I love just taxiing it around to hear that Dash-8 growl, spectacular (they even modeled the control column chain subtly rattling with the taxi vibrations).  I wish Aerosoft had done their Twin Otter sounds like this.  Oh, and the FMC, that is yet another beast to tackle, completely different from Airbus or Boeing.  Fun stuff.

Two developers I buy whatever they make no matter what it is.  A2A and RealAir...have bought addon's from both going back to FS9.   The type of plane doesn't really matter, it is the experience that I am after that both these developers capture so well.  If I were a big tubeliner fan, I would probably say the same thing about PMDG.   Really enjoy a lot of CH and Aerosoft releases too.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks for the feedback and contributions everyone! Awesome stuff :) and clearly some overlap (which is GOOD). 

I typically start with the equipment while shopping, though what's been produced and developed by a vendor in the past weights heavily on my initial decision and impression. I love flying the larger commercial jets, and PMDG is a household favorite. I can't get enough of the 777, and now the 737 is my new investment. I'll definitely checkout the new Aerosoft A318-319, thanks Mikelab. Debating what region pack to buy next for an oceanic flight... either going with Australia or somewhere in Europe.

Have a great weekend!
Benjamin

PMDG is going to bring us a DC-6 *soon, this should be a very wonderful addon, I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to those thundering R2800s....better invest in a good sub-woofer lol.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=las86zvsMY4

PMDG is going to bring us a DC-6 *soon, this should be a very wonderful addon, I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to those thundering R2800s....better invest in a good sub-woofer lol.

nice video :) ... Have you installed the A2A B377 COTS in P3D ?

Oh my, the DC-6 will certainly be in < guy's hangar :) Awesome video... what a beauty. Can't wait to use this 7.1 sound system. I was blown away by the 737 sounds actually... especially after adjusting sound settings within PMDG's FMC menu. The reverse thrust sounds are spectacular. 

Dom, is the A2A B377 compatible with Prepar3d? I only have the 182.

Dom, is the A2A B377 compatible with Prepar3d? I only have the 182.

I don't know as I 've yet to install it in P3D, not sure that the COTS package will work there and I don't want to mess up my new 2.5 install.  Few posts on the A2A forum. Hence my question to TJ.

I don't know as I 've yet to install it in P3D, not sure that the COTS package will work there and I don't want to mess up my new 2.5 install.  Few posts on the A2A forum. Hence my question to TJ.

Ah gotcha... Yea, I haven't been too willing to install software not marketed directly as compatible with 2.5. So far, 2.5 has been a breeze for me, and performance is kicking and lighting the tires. My only issue lies with my CH joystick being recognized within Prepar3d, though it still functions and I can map buttons using other methods.

Archived