Forgotten France

bornlowflyhigh

The Openlc EU and Vector combo is a considerable improvement over default. Real good within the limits of a large generic scenery. And Maurizio is working on a Côte d'Azur cityscape which should be released soon I guess. Now I agree that we miss some regional airports. I recently suggested Cannes Mandelieu to go along with the cityscape. To have a fat region for Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur would be even better but lets not dream :) !

Everything comes to those that wait.. or so the old proverb says..I guess that eventually all the European areas will be full fat, but just when is a matter for others to decide.. It's all a matter of economics, and let's face it Global and Vector are far better than the default. Teecee.

There is no state of the art region scenery for the complete countries of France or Germany in FTX quality available at present, neither at Avsim & Co. nor as Payware, at least not for Prepar3d. There isn't anything in development as far as I am aware of either.

The best you can get is France VFR (Photo based), but this only covers smaller parts of France so far, it's expensive if you add areas and development is going sloooow. Aerosoft (former maker of FSX VFR Germany) obviously lost any interest in development for Germany and is more and more focusing on X-Plane today. 

This said, the latest upgrade of FTX OpenLC brought much improved cities for the Southern Europe area, and I am looking forward to this style of cities in the rest of Europe. Agricultural/Rural/Wooden areas have been excellent already in Version 1.0. But you're still missing prominent landmarks and more detail in OpenLC.

I hope teecee will be proven right: We'll get it when we wait.

Kind regards, Michael

I think a full region for France or Germany is a ways off.  I also think the LC Europe with Global and Vector is very nice even if it doesn't have everything exact.  There are landmarks available for France, Germany and other countries as freeware.  There are cities.  There are many nice looking airports.  Put all this together and you have the nicest looking France, Germany and Europe that I've ever seen in flight simulation.  For FSX at any rate.

lol.  I didn't say that.  What I said is something you can do until there is a region for France or Germany because it will probably be a while imo.  It will look very nice until then.   But I am very much looking forward to LC North America.  I think it will greatly enhance the US, Canada, Alaska and other covered areas.  I think this will be out within a few months. 

Let us hope that Maurizio's cityscape sales are large enough to convince John V that there's a market there and to upgrade it to a fat region from the Rhône estuary to the Italian border and up north to the Durance river valley :) ! I wouldn't mind Corsica either. 

Let us hope that Maurizio's cityscape sales are large enough to convince John V that there's a market there and to upgrade it to a fat region from the Rhône estuary to the Italian border and up north to the Durance river valley :) ! I wouldn't mind Corsica either. 

Let's hope :D

I agree with all those who say OpenLC and Vector already gives us a really good France and Germany scenery. And for landmarks in France there are other payware addons that add an immense number of those if one is interested. I think continous improvement of OLC and Vector will give us something very close to an FTX Europe and beyond, in fact it pretty much already is.

And the freeware EU airports packs already has improved alot of french and german airports, and probably more will come. If Mandelieu is one of those I would certainly not complain  8)

Michael,

There are also a couple of nice additions to FTX OpenLC Europe for France by Simulation Data : TRUElandscape and Obstacles & Repères http://www.simulationdata.com

Jean-Jacques

Jean Jacques

My understanding is that TrueLandscape is a competitor to OpenLC, same kind of products, not an addon.

For Obstacles et Repères (Obstacles & Landmarks), which would be indeed a great addon for OpenLC, there is the compatibility issue. Have you tried it in OpenLC+Vector ? It was designed for the VFR France photosceneries and before buying it I'd rather be sure that all the models are precisely positioned in OpenLC+Vector.

Michael,

There are also a couple of nice additions to FTX OpenLC Europe for France by Simulation Data : TRUElandscape and Obstacles & Repères http://www.simulationdata.com

Jean-Jacques

I own both of them them. I have Obstacles & Repères in use (Prepar3d), and this definitely improves things by landmarks like churches  etc. I can confirm it works in general, while I didn't make an in-depth investigation (and don't know France well enought) to judge if all objects are placed properly in OpenLC EU.

Concerning True Landscape Dominique is right, This is kind of a competitor to OpenLC EU. At least I don't have it in use at present.

Kind regards, Michael

I own both of them them. I have Obstacles & Repères in use (Prepar3d), and this definitely improves things by landmarks like churches  etc. I can confirm it works in general, while I didn't make an in-depth investigation (and don't know France well enought) to judge if all objects are placed properly in OpenLC EU.

Concerning True Landscape Dominique is right, This is kind of a competitor to OpenLC EU. At least I don't have it in use at present.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, Obstacles & Repères job is to give turning points for VRF flying they'd better be in the right place :)

EDIT no issues with bridges for instance ?

We are working on SCA now and will return to Europe for another full fat region after this summer. It won't be France.

My money is on Italy, now thatFrank Dainese has teamed up with ORBX it would be a treat to incorporate his Dolomites and have him develop some more alpine regions for such a package.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no state of the art region scenery for the complete countries of France or Germany in FTX quality available at present, neither at Avsim & Co. nor as Payware, at least not for Prepar3d. There isn't anything in development as far as I am aware of either.

The best you can get is France VFR (Photo based), but this only covers smaller parts of France so far, it's expensive if you add areas and development is going sloooow. Aerosoft (former maker of FSX VFR Germany) obviously lost any interest in development for Germany and is more and more focusing on X-Plane tod

France vfr sceneries are not only photo based .They utilise the 3D automation technologie for differents regions;Britanny,Nord Pas de Calais ,Normandy,Alsace,Aquitaine and soon Provence cote d'azur and Paris and suburbs(the buildings are represented with they realm form).For the others  not yet ready regions for 3DA,they are delivered with autogen factory wich gives a very dense and precise vegetation.Obstacles et reperes adds thousand of objects.Castles churches,windmill,powerlines antennas   etc.

With all that,France is very complete and attactive

Not too long ago, I took a Sunday full-day flight in a Tiger Moth from Athens to Heraklion in Crete. Along the way, I visited a number of the Aegean islands. The new Europe Open LC made the trip a really enjoyable one, with the various islands looking great. I am therefore tempted to suggest that Italy and Greece might be worth further ORBX attention. These are countries where many go for vacation anyway, and for us who live in cold, dark, confining winter weather, it would be nice to have an even more real winter-break flight sim alternative. Just a thought.

My understanding is that TrueLandscape is a competitor to OpenLC, same kind of products, not an addon.

Keep dreaming. TrueLandscape doesn't add many new textures like OpenLC does and that makes a huge difference! It's clearly stated on their web site, I quote:

"TRUElandscape does not change :

• Ground textures or class definitions."

I've got the whole of France in VFR scenery.  Its not bad at all, the only problem being that many of the airports are default and not flattened.   I also have the Netherlands and Belgium in freeware photo scenery both of which are excellent with all their airports flattened and, in most cases, modelled.

I would dearly love to have Spain but with the many regions and the fact its payware, sadly the pocket doesn't run to it.

I do wish Orbx would continue to develop the USA as in my opinion the photo scenery available there is definitely 'iffy' with some being very good and some not good at all.  

John

Archived