The Olympian from yesteryear.

VH-KDK

It seems an age since the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000.

One of the saddest changes on the Aviation scene here was the demise of Ansett which was always my first choice of flying in Australia, a truly great airline.

This flight is from Adelaide to Melbourne.

1.m2x1v.jpg

VH-ANA Climbing out of Adelaide. This 774 was leased from Singapore Airlines.

2.yM5Nr.jpg

Over Lake Alexandrina. Delivered to Ansett in August 1999 in the Olympic Livery.

3.PNsjJ.jpg

Flying along the Coorong. Ansett was the official airline of the 2000 Games, one of several investments which proved to be unwise.

4. X9vbA.jpg

Both its first(1999) and last flight(2001) for Ansett were as AN888 Hong Kong to Sydney.

5.GTezR.jpg

On Ansetts collapse in Sep 2001 ANA returned quickly to Singapore.

6.B1yQq.jpg

Rounding Mt Macedon. VH-ANA reverted to 9V-SMB and was later leased to Air Fiji as DQ-FJL.

7.aEXe.jpg

Served with Air Fiji before being scrapped in the USA last year.

8.SNst.jpg

It retained the SQ colours on the winglets.

9.ZtBk.jpg

First flew in 1989 and delivered to SQ as 9V-SMB.

10.AFTyR.jpg

This the default 774 with a freeware texture.

Oh, yeah - did some flights with that paint some time back because I really liked it :)

But I had no idea about the background of this plane and what became of it. Thanks a lot for all the information...

Cheers

Mallard

A wonderful set!

Thanks Ziggy

Very interesting set. I just find it curious that I see your set now, that it was posted yesterday, and I posted a shot with the same company leaving from the same place (among all the possibilities in the world).

Ha ha, quite a coincidence. Flew on their 727 VH-ANA and several SQ 747-412s but not the Ansett leased from SQ VH-ANA!!!!

Oh, yeah - did some flights with that paint some time back because I really liked it :)

But I had no idea about the background of this plane and what became of it. Thanks a lot for all the information...

Cheers

Mallard

My favourite Ansett livery, the Sydney 2000 logo making it better. I imagine there will be few or no more Ansett textures coming out which is a shame(hope I am proved wrong!) Histories of some aircraft are quite interesting.

excellent set

Many thanks Azkid

Very nice

Thank you 56

Nice set

Thanks Taph

Beautiful set of shots Martyn !

Cheers Mike.

Many thanks to you all for the comments. Glad you liked the set.

Archived