Inaugural flight Avro RJ85

patrickjorand

The inaugural flight on the Quality Wings RJ85s with my finalized 30% zoom wingview settings.

From push-back and engines start up in Ajaccio (LFKJ) to the final approach at Nice along the bay des anges (LFMN). 

Just to forgive me for a far too exccessive use of the native Baron and the Caravan in my previous picture posts (smile).  Enjoy !

WVt5w.png

1xXWB.png

IGvu.png

fUZMs.png

5qsDS.png

ufLmp.png

2ZjvU.png

To kiwistu: you converted me with your beautiful pics !

Hard work to set these wings views for the 3 models. Nice to fly, a bit difficult to understand ILS landing procedures (I still miss something with the glidescope - may be its linked to the frequency despite the fact that I have entered the right course, the Nav 1 and nav 2 for autoland, it aligns well but no glide scope but I will carry on with the excellent and well documented manual. Have a nice day.  Patrick

To kiwistu: you converted me with your beautiful pics !

Hard work to set these wings views for the 3 models. Nice to fly, a bit difficult to understand ILS landing procedures (I still miss something with the glidescope - may be its linked to the frequency despite the fact that I have entered the right course, the Nav 1 and nav 2 for autoland, it aligns well but no glide scope but I will carry on with the excellent and well documented manual. Have a nice day. Patrick

I found that if you enter the glide slope to high the aircraft just won't capture it..and you will retain altitude and just fly straight and level over the glide slope....,and you must be a lot lower than say a 737.

Try entering it about no higher than 1800/2000 feet and be about 5 miles out.

Also you cannot come in at too much of an angle like a NGX.

Try entering it no more than 10-15 degrees off the centre and it should capture..after that sit back and just watch.

Because there's no reverse thrust all you have to do is apply the brakes when you go below 80kts on the rollout..it's very cool.

Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought the general principle in capturing the glideslope was to fly below it (at a steady altitude) until you intersect it. That way, you'll never be too high. I'll fly a test in the 146 just to check, but I don't remember having problems with it.

Adam.

Good luck with 146 Adam.. Never done it in that..I'm strictly an RJ boy

The Avro has a better MCDU, I'll admit!

Well ... I tried a few approaches in the BAe146-300 - no problems.

@patrick - I think you may be starting a little too far out. Maybe the G/S is weak at that distance <??>. You can engage the *localiser* from that distance though. Try the more usual 3,000ft AGL, which would put you a lot closer when you (finally) intercept.

Also - you really need to monitor your speed. There's no auto-throttle, so you have to compensate slightly when the aircraft acquires the G/S and makes its pitch corrections.

Adam.

Thanks Adam, I will train tonight, this place is really great, rarely I had a so immersive session....and the wedding between nice places and Open LC textures is really great. I have the Majestic Dash8 too, but that's another story to make her fly and land properly.....

Thanks for all your comments. Adam and Stu, I tried ILS landing and it works fine, I catched the glide scope from above (as usual) at around 2500-3000 fts around 10 miles to runway. Aircraft was on autoland with NAV1 and 2 but aircraft did not seem to auto-flare so I managed a normal landing. In fact, I dont like autolanding, except when crosswings, I find more fun in realeasing the AP one mile before the runway and let the lady naturally go down on runway .Have a nice day.

I have a friend in RL that flies the 146 (or is it an Avro? - not sure). He says it's a tremendous aircraft to fly because it doesn't have *full* autoland - so you actually have to fly the last few feet manually.

From what I've heard (and I don't know this for sure) many airlines/pilots recommend flicking off the A/P just before flare and doing the touch-down manually. I'd be interested to know what others have heard about this.

The MJC Dash-8 is similar in that respect, I think - in the autoland goes a little "strange" around the flare and tends to smash the aircraft down rather hard, so pilots do the last bit manually on those as as well.

Either way both FSX aircraft are quite challenging (and fun!).

Adam.

If you want to auto land the RJ...once you are happily flying down the glideslope

Dial in your touchdown speed and leave auto throttle on.

Select APP on glare shield

On the FMC select ARC and V/L on your selector switches.

Make sure you got both APs on and both NAVs set to the ILS freq..and that's it.

Auto land will happen...there is a flare light on the captains side of the glare shield which will light up when flare commences.

Spoilers will deploy automatically and auto throttle will auto disconnect at 80 kts..all you have to do is brake !!!

Give it a go..this works on all models of the RJ?.

I know nothing about the 146,

Stu

I'm not entirely sure why, but I seemed to get stuck in a BAe rut. After a quick test flight in the Avros, I think they do seem to have more advanced avionics. I don't think they have a "Flare" indicator. Either that, or my landings have been so bad that my "flares" have been non-existent. I don't think "Controlled crash" would fit on the dashboard :lol:

So ... some Avro time scheduled! It'll be a pleasure. The QW model is a stunner - inside and out. Now I remember ... the JF exterior model is (I think) *slightly* more detailed than the QW, but I think the QW "Office" is better.

Adam.

I have tried Autoland with the RJ100, not perfect, runway course information in FMS is not always accurate, for LFRS (Nantes Atlantique) runway 03, FMS course indicate 029 while fschart shows 031....a little difference that made me autoland too left of the runway.... Just for info.

Archived