Gaming graphics have come a long way....

Mark Abdey

......... in the last decade... This is a new indie game available via Steam called 'The Vanishing of Nathan Carter', which is a 'first person mystery adventure, with supernatural elements'... and I think it is the most stunning game I've seen, at least in its portrayal of the natural environment, which is painterly but highly detailed, and deeply atmospheric.

Just wandering around is quite an experience... though you get a few jumps thrown in.

I hope John and staff don't mind me posting these? as its way OT to FS... even if this is a 'lounge' section.

Some images from the opening location... naturally, it looks way better in uncompressed, fluid motion.

XncZu.jpg

dIExF.jpg

9mWc.jpg

GNvT.jpg

1JdMo.jpg

ylsG.jpg

hPAWd.jpg

I think so: such examples are to be followed and surpassed!

Really such a thing presented here requires skilled artists and inventive developers!

The world of sceneries for fs follows this line ...

That's how it goes ...

Thanks for sharing!

The world of sceneries for fs follows this line ...

This is certainly evident with the Orbx development team, some of the team push for highly detailed environments within the smaller airfield packages... the nature of the bigger picture, that is the FS platform, means constrains are imposed. A game like the above has a tight world and little going on outside of the scenery... which helps. Its still amazing though.

Hi Mark,

that looks stunning, thanks for sharing this information.

I guess that my link to the WDS (White Digital Simulations) website wasn't appreciated by the moderators. Well, may I offer my apologies for doing this delict? I didn't think about this too much.

Spirit

AARRGGHH! Bought it. It happened again, last time it was Skyrim pics. I'm a sucker for great graphics!

LOL

Sue

Ha-ha... sorry Sue ^-^

I'm sure you will get some pleasure out of it, even if it is just admiring the wonderful graphics. I'm a sucker for them too O0...

BTW... you have to explore every inch of the environment for clues, as I'm sure you have found out... its worth it too just to examine all that detail.

Jsapair, try Skyrim from Steam, not quite the graphics above, but extremely good,and the programming is stunning.. a very realistic environment..Teecee.

PS: there are demos of both these games available .. just do a search..

I think I am going to end with this one as well ???

Sorry If I'm making you spend your hard earned penny's... luckily its quite cheap ^-^

I thought I would revisit my Skyrim install, which was not working very well, and stripped it of all mods and enb, and then started building it with some new mods and updated enb.

Looking quite tasty I think ^-^ and the scope of this game still amazes.

kQG5.jpg

hHKTf.jpg

xOS2.jpg

Looks GREAT but why do games like that always (so it seems) focus on 'supernatural', 'occult' and 'blood'... Such a shame.

This is about graphics, not violence/occult/blood in games please... but, there are plenty of titles that do not involve such things  (though there are less of them)  such as other simulator titles, racing games, and indie titles that attempt different mechanics. There are also many stealth games, that allow you to avoid ALL confrontation if you wish to play that way.

"Looks GREAT but why do games like that always (so it seems) focus on 'supernatural', 'occult' and 'blood'... Such a shame."

It's called Fantasy J, gives us a break from the bleakness of reality, a chance to use our imagination, a bit like FSX and Prepar3d really.  Teecee.

I have just tried running The Vanishing via DSR [ http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/85724-dsr-for-kepler-now-working/ ] at a res of 3360 x 2100 and it is still as smooth as butter, which is quite a feat for my PC... this is at maximum settings, apart from AA which is at 2x... at this internal res 2x is all you need*.

Click to get the full size... *but remember, this res is being downsampled to the native monitor resolution to give amazing IQ and the smoothing layer [like adjustable FXAA] is not taken in screenshots.

w6UB9.jpg

qKAr.jpg

Nxwuc.jpg

I've always been resistant to the graphics fetish, but I've been assimilated as some of the work now are so awesome.  Pre FS2004/FSX it was hard for me to suspend belief and emerse myself.  FSX now with all the great developments, ie Orbx scenery and F1 avionics and lots of great addon aircraft, is just great.  Also worth checking out is the work being done in the WW1 aviation genre at Over Flanders Field, great work there.  There is so much imaginative and incredible work being done beyond the big studios building on basic commercial releases to immensely increase their quality.  Really a very interesting development in several ways.  Oh, and speaking of Skyrim, I recently modded-up the much older Morrowind and it looks great.  Interesting times.

I have both Morrowind, and Oblivion modded up. Still play them both. Using the "Nexus Mod Manager"

Those games both looked amazing in their day... less so now, even modded to the hilt, but they do have a unique beauty.

A taste of things to come... a few screen grabs I made from the Unreal Engine4 realtime demos, which you can download and fiddle with here http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2369/unreal-engine-4-five-tech-demos/mirrors

ayiGu.jpg

3SOal.jpg

HuzlC.jpg

I85ZA.jpg

dcuZx.jpg

5acBQ.jpg

eHoT7.jpg

Those games both looked amazing in their day... less so now, even modded to the hilt, but they do have a unique beauty.

A taste of things to come... a few screen grabs I made from the Unreal Engine4 realtime demos, which you can download and fiddle with here http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2369/unreal-engine-4-five-tech-demos/mirrors

Congrats to your post 2000, Mark (though an unusual flight screenshot  ::) )...

Congrats to your post 2000...

Ha!.. thank you Gerold. That had passed me by.

I know, it should have been an FS screen really, oh well, too late now... We all need to look at other things now and again... it stops us becoming jaded with our true love ;D

Ha!.. thank you Gerold. That had passed me by.

I know, it should have been an FS screen really, oh well, too late now... We all need to look at other things now and again... it stops us becoming jaded with our true love ;D

Seems you got to head for # 2222 for a adequate anniversary post....!

Archived