The building of a new Simpit

Kilstorm

So I've started buying new hardware for my new simpit I will start building in early Oct. I will be updating this forum as the progress continues.  For now Im just getting all the stuff I will need to complete the new build.  While it will all be random, once complete it will all make sense.

My current setup will be rebuilt and placed in a box truck with all the added new hardware and new design.  I'm going from a two place with only one set of flight controls in an executive flight deck feel to a four place with dual flight controls and Beaver/bush feel.  Heres a list of the items I've brought to add to my already built Simpit.  

* Two new Brown and Tan seats

* Rust colored bench seat cushion for the back row

* New Beige Computer Keyboard

* Desktop Aviator Fuel lever switch

* New GoFlight Inc Landing gear, flap, trim module (replacing my old one that doesnt have aileron and rudder trim)

* Metallic Diamond Plate runner mats for the pilot and Co-pilot floors

* New CH Products Yoke

*New Satek Cessna Rudder Pedals

*Arctic Air 52 Quart a/c unit

* Honda 2000watt Generator for off grid simming  

* 6 gallon gas tank for extended generator running

* New Headset

* Tennis Leather replace wrap (to make the yoke look like it belongs on a beaver)

1602007_10154623969445385_18529220474634

So I received my desktop aviator Fuel panel and painted the knobs yellow and red.  The package of dots is pvc dots that are stick on.  No idea what they are to be used for , but I will be using them to replica rivets on the fuselage.  Finally they are on top of my new seat for the pilot and co-pilot.

I also scored with getting some free sounddown paneling.  Used on boats its light weight vinyl on foam on pvc flex board which will become my side and roof paneling.  I found out that a 4x8 sheet cost about 170 USD and some boat at where I work got rid of just enough for me to do my sim which is about 5 sheets.  Except my sheets are 2x7 as they were already used but that will work for me.

Went shopping today for the carpet and what will be vinyl for the dashboard and other things.  Heres a video of them all with the sounddown which i will dye tan and it will become the ceiling and side paneling for the upper half.  You can see how it is a yinyl over foam on pvc hardboard making it light and flexible. I also found some pins that will look more like rivets.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154626441515385

More stuff arrived today and I brought some additional hardware as well.  Now have the Arctic Air a/c, the two door latches, sliders for the keyboard which will be mounted under the dash panel, a replacement GoFlight Module as I wanted to have rudder and aileron trim and a few exit signs for the doors.
|106142_n_zps58b746bd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the box truck and built the shed that houses a 5'x7' room inside and it looks awesome. Outside looks like an Alaskan Bush shed and inside is done like contemporary American Southwest. I'll post pic's soon as I am finished with detailing it but I feel you guys are going to be highly impressed.

Now I'm setting my focus on the simpit and here are the final plans I'm using for the build.  Keep in mind I have an idea of what I am looking to build so these plans are just for me to keep in mind crucial measurements.

sim_zpse91c0ec0.jpg  

Well I started the build today.  Here is a picture of the floor (which is 2 feet off the floor of the box truck and got the 60" screen hung as well.  The chair and panel is from my old simpit to get an idea of location of where things will fit.

simpit_zpsde8fc549.jpg

You going to be able to see over all your instruments, to get a good view of the big screen?

I ask because I ran into that and I'm wrestling with it now.

Yeah, thats not an issue.  a slanted dash board helps but this time I'm making it flat with a slate in back.  However, its all about chair height and location to the panel.

what type of tree is that out there?

Never really figured that out. Its like an Oak but the branches grow downward. meh.

Made a fair amount of progress yesterday on the simpit.  This has been a two part project.  One is the 5x7 room to allow me to over night in the box truck allow me to use this as a van I can drive to shows in etc and the simpit.  For the room I wanted to create a bush feel so from the moment you step in the box you feel like you are up in Alaska in the bush.  To do this I painted the outside walls of the room to look weathered and stained the door and trim distressed as well.  I added a few detail things like a water spigot just for looks and put down artificial grass.  On the inside of the room I wanted a more Santa Fe look.  

Yesterday I got the port side fuselage wall up and did a dry fit of the dash and seats.  Today I will focus on cutting out the dash holes for the modules and controls and get some stuff painted.  There is plenty of work to do in the sim still and the room is not finished yet either but feel now is a good time to start to show you guys some real progress shots. Enjoy.

DSC01880_zpsb29ac931.jpg

DSC01917_zpsee223ffc.jpg

DSC01874_zps13b06801.jpg

DSC01890_zpse9c36f45.jpg

DSC01930_zps13cd1cbd.jpg

DSC01929_zpsc4ba4f81.jpg

DSC01924_zpsfd46e520.jpg

DSC01921_zps2b9e7b17.jpg

DSC01920_zps2389a889.jpg

DSC01918_zps1f23fc26.jpg

Looks good but I'd like to draw your attention to something you may not be aware of. 

Derek Spears has a range of Switch units as a circuit board that can easily be used for any flight control, they will handle rotary switches great for heading bug and many other things besides , Visit  http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/ and while his stuff is aimed primarily at the Sim Racer you may find something of interest there. 

The beauty of his circuit boards is they can be hidden and a control panel designed and set out as per the real thing.   One day soon I hope to embark on my own Sim pit Dual simpit actually  with Race Car and GA Flight Sim using the controller's I mentioned and utilizing  some of my own hardware as well. 
I have built a dual control for a chap and used some salvaged components from an original aircraft and one of derek Speare's early controller's , With the addition of FFB from a race wheel and damper's courtesy of a motorcycle accessory shop it had the right behaviour. I cannot say more due to my NDA sorry.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/64-button-no-matrix-controller.html

Ideal for a lot of switches

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/32-button-no-matrix-controller.html

Second choice if you need a few extras 

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/12-bit-controllers.html

Throttle and pedal input controller.s 

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/race-king-r12-led.html

Secondary pre made panel . 

With the room almost finished, I am spending more time on the sim build.
DSC01970_zps9f9ba0a1.jpg

DSC01975_zps5e6f323b.jpg

DSC01978_zpsd588af7a.jpg

DSC01983_zpsb3aa02ca.jpg

DSC01986_zps8d897eb3.jpg

DSC01987_zps65fc97bc.jpg

DSC01989_zps30e29c59.jpg

DSC01991_zps8b4c29ac.jpg

DSC01992_zpsfc66db72.jpg

A LOT of stuff is still dry mounted or missing so parts or needs to be painted and such so there is still plenty of stuff to clean up and add but its getting close.

Thanks guys for all the support!

I agree with the crowd. You've done a wonderful job, mate.
Nice atmosphere there and really looks the goods.

Have you thought about butt-kickers for the seats?

Frank

Frank I have thought about butt-kicker and almost brought one. However, I'm going to wait until the sim is built and look back into that as an option for a later addition. being the whole sim is on a wooden deck it should allow for all occupants to have a feel as to being there for my rough landings! :)

Got a huge amount done today and the sim is really starting to come together.  I'm posting pics now but will have a video up in a bit.  It late so the video is dark outside of the sim but I will put together another one once it is completely done.

DSC02000_zpsaa141665.jpg

DSC02001_zps0790ed94.jpg

DSC02002_zpsa570ab3c.jpg

DSC02004_zpsabe19332.jpg

DSC02006_zpsea61a838.jpg

DSC02007_zps2b2ca4ec.jpg

DSC02008_zps0f21fbe8.jpg

All kinds of details are starting to show now in the sim. Decals, Data Plate and the Generator box are just some of the things I'm working on.  The Data Plate is a show piece for the sim and is the real deal custom engraved.  

DSC02023_zpsc33e7d0a.jpg

DSC02017_zpse203c557.jpg

DSC02016_zpsb8c6b6a4.jpg

More progress on this rainy day. Got my Data Plate mounted, my timer/clock mounted on my yoke, added a shelf under the rear set for storage of guides and sectionals, and got my night lighting all set up. The red and green lights are on two different switches so I can them both on or just the red or greens.

DSC02025_zps1a85497e.jpg

DSC02027_zps7ad91868.jpg

DSC02028_zps22513535.jpg

DSC02029_zps2aee8aad.jpg

DSC02030_zpsa82245e8.jpg

DSC02034_zps4a9bfea8.jpg

DSC02035_zpsd3d29683.jpg

Thanks guys for all the words of support.  This has been a dream build for me for some time and its nice to finally see it coming to life. 

Tonight I decided to try out the PFD screen.  Just a fact of switching out the GPS screen with the Panel screen prior to starting the computer.  I decided to use the Dash8 as my test plane.  I can have it set as my PFD or FMS with the click of a button.  Additionally I am now using the Tablet to view my pdf of my flight info from Simbrief where before I would print them.  I'm really happy with set up.  If I am flying GA I will have the GPS screen on and if I am flying a more complex plane will use the Panel screen.

DSC02036_zps755246db.jpg

DSC02037_zps447d3197.jpg

DSC02038_zpse836c46d.jpg

DSC02039_zps41a4d048.jpg

DSC02040_zpsf9745d1e.jpg

Archived