Three from another closed gap

Stillwater

Great shots Gerold. :)

Say... maybe you & Brad & TeeCee and some of the guys could help me out a bit. (Please.) I am working very hard at trying to decide what airports and possibly regions to purchase in the current sale.

I have NZNI & NZSI and I think I will buy both NZMF & NZQN to go with them.

But I am not as definite in other areas.

I have EU England, Scotland, & Wales. I also have EGHR, EGKA, EGTR, & EGHI within England. I think I will probably buy EGTF. I would like to pick out 1 to 3 more to go with that because most of the remaining EG ones (save for EGPB which isn't included in the sale) are priced at less than $10 US but I'm not sure what. Any recommendations?

I am also semi-seriously considering Ireland but I have seen so little in the way of customer shots not to mention very few shots from ORBX and I don't think I've seen any videos on it... guess I should do a search in the Community Video forum and perhaps on YouTube to see what I've missed... anyway I will probably pass on IRL this time around but I would still welcome input.

But what I am mostly wrestling with is Australia. I have SP4 and the free airports but that is all. Most of the Y___ (Aussie) FTX airports are < 16 US Dollars in the sale. I think I can maybe sneak 2 to 5 past my wife at that rate depending on how good a mood she is in when I go to make the purchase. But there are so many I don't know where to start. One strategy I have considered is to go for the larger cities... another possibility would be to go for the pretty resorts and harbors... and I guess there are probably a whole lot of other approaches to picking a few.

The US Navy once offered me a chance to compete for a job slot in Australia for a couple of years but I didn't even try because there was only one slot and I didn't figure I walked on enough water (meaning I wasn't enough of a god in the eyes of the higher ups... or put another way... I hadn't kissed enough fannies) to get it so I went to London instead. So I do not know much about the place and I could use some advice from satisfied ORBX users. Oh I have seen "Crocodile Dundee", I eat at the Outback Steak House probably 3 to 5 times a year (the do great babyback ribs), and I have the collected works of The Seekers in iTunes but that is about the limit of my knowledge.

So if anybody could toss me some advice I would be very grateful... no promises as to if I'll take that advice but I do promise to give it careful consideration. Either here (provided Gerold doesn't object to me hijacking his thread) or in a private message.

I think I have North America pretty well covered for the purposes of this sale. I have PNW, NRM, CRM, & NCA not to mention a the vast majority of the payware airports within those regions up to and including Redding. I will eventually get CYSE & KMRY but not for a while... I'm going to wait a while on them so I can afford some of this other stuff. Besides I have no doubt I will not be able to restrain myself and will purchase Half Moon Bay & Tahoe as soon as they become available so I need to put aside a few pennies for those. :)

Thanks for any and all input,

Tom Wunder

Thanks to all of you kind replies!

Great shots Gerold. :)

I have EU England, Scotland, & Wales. I also have EGHR, EGKA, EGTR, & EGHI within England. I think I will probably buy EGTF. I would like to pick out 1 to 3 more to go with that because most of the remaining EG ones (save for EGPB which isn't included in the sale) are priced at less than $10 US but I'm not sure what. Any recommendations?

But what I am mostly wrestling with is Australia. I have SP4 and the free airports but that is all. Most of the Y___ (Aussie) FTX airports are < 16 US Dollars in the sale. I think I can maybe sneak 2 to 5 past my wife at that rate depending on how good a mood she is in when I go to make the purchase. But there are so many I don't know where to start. One strategy I have considered is to go for the larger cities... another possibility would be to go for the pretty resorts and harbors... and I guess there are probably a whole lot of other approaches to picking a few.

I eat at the Outback Steak House probably 3 to 5 times a year (the do great babyback ribs), and I have the collected works of The Seekers in iTunes but that is about the limit of my knowledge.

Either here (provided Gerold doesn't object to me hijacking his thread) or in a private message.

Tom Wunder

Hi Tom, this needs a detailed response...  ;D

1. I do not mind hijacking the post - you are in serious trouble, I understand!
  2. We all know the challange passing our bosses to make expenses here. I have been working hard in the last months, and purchased Global & Vector this morning. If you do not read anything from me in the next weeks, you might guess I got severe pressure... :ph34r: .
  3. I was not too satisfied with the England performance, so I am no good adviser for UK.
  4. I had never seen an Outback steakhouse in Australia, but I visit them 1-2 times per each US trip. It needs to be the Ahi Tuna and the New York Strip for me, medium rare, please!
  5. As regards OZ: I would suggest a good regional distribution of bases for your flights. That means Cairns and Broome are a must, as well as Alice Springs - and one of the Melbourne airports (for me YMML, to use with all kinds of aircraft). Perth is a difficult thing, as Jandakot is a bit outdated (in ORBX scale). OK, and then you may add some of the beautiful harbors at the east coast, keep an eye on size & beauty of the enhanced terrain. Just keep them distributed geographically, so that you can make some nice hops.

Hope this helps!

Hi Tom, this needs a detailed response...  ;D

1. I do not mind hijacking the post - you are in serious trouble, I understand!

We all know the challange passing our bosses to make expenses here. I have been working hard in the last months, and purchased Global & Vector this morning. If you do not read anything from me in the next weeks, you might guess I got severe pressure... :ph34r: .

I was not too satisfied with the England performance, so I am no good adviser for UK.

I had never seen an Outback steakhouse in Australia, but I visit them 1-2 times per each US trip. It needs to be the Ahi Tuna and the New York Strip for me, medium rare, please!

As regards OZ: I would suggest a good regional distribution of bases for your flights. That means Cairns and Broome are a must, as well as Alice Springs - and one of the Melbourne airports (for me YMML, to use with all kinds of aircraft). Perth is a difficult thing, as Jandakot is a bit outdated (in ORBX scale). OK, and then you may add some of the beautiful harbors at the east coast, keep an eye on size & beauty of the enhanced terrain. Just keep them distributed geographically, so that you can make some nice hops.

Hope this helps!

Hi Gerold,

I mentioned the purchase I intend to make to my wife tonight and gave her a guesstimate type range of what the cost will probably be. She said "Oh that is nice" and started down the hall... then gave me a double take. No further comment but I expect I'll get one tomorrow. I could very well be wrong on this but I suspect my best approach is to let her talk me out of it and mention that we have been spending too much on Amazon lately anyway so perhaps I shouldn't buy a bunch of stuff right now. This is where it gets tricky. I think she will get to thinking that 95% of the stuff from Amazon is for her and that we do have a little more money than we expected right now anyway then (hopefully) she will come back and talk me into going ahead with my FTX order. Of course when one gets to plotting too much sometimes he will shoot himself in the foot... figuratively speaking that is. I'm hoping to place my order on Sunday the 29th.

England is good for me but I have noted a few problems myself. Like some quirks at Heathrow... a A380 that you can hear taxiing around but at times you can only see the landing gear or at other times other parts but not the whole. Also with all the options turned on at EGHI I need to use a very basic aircraft if I want decent frame rates.

I'm not the least bit surprised to learn that Outback Steakhouses aren't to be found in Australia. When I lived in London there was a couple of "American restaurants" (The Great American Disaster & Strikes) that are not to be found in the US. We were last at Outback on the 14th which was our anniversary. I had a New York Strip plus a 1/3 order of ribs. That tuna does sound good... may have to try that next time.

Hervey Bay, for a stunning coast resort and Alice Springs as it is so different from anywhere else ^-^ Just been watching Coast Austrailia which is great

Hi Taph... thanks for chiming in on this. :)

Gerold & Taph,

I am still wrestling with what Australian airports to purchase during this current sale but I will figure it out in the next day or so. I have no choice but to sort it out by then or the sale will be over.

I thank you both for the advice.... it all seems to be well founded. And I am sure it will be helpful in coming to a decision.

Thanks guys,

Tom Wunder

Archived