Better Grass

Bassman

Have just reinstalled FSX, FSGlobal 2008, and my Orbx scenery including Scotland and England.

I am at Baldoon  UK09 and am not happy with the grass. It has been a while since I reinstalled my FSX stuff and I recall a program called Picnic which I think I had installed 

on my last FSX installation. Before installing Picnic, is there any better product to use at fields that have noty already been improved by various Orbx airfields?

Cheers  Dan

mMugL.jpg

Yes the ground textures are a pain! I have also complained about this!

I hope that Orbx can take care of better ground textures in the future. FTX-Global textures look very good once you are up in the air at altitudes of 500 ft or more. But even FTX-Global look washed out when you fly at low alittutes. So for the real low and slow flying or for flying helicotrers for rescue missions it is not very nice.

I hope that it is possible to use a technic that allows to have detailed ground textures (including buildings, grass, trees, crop fields and other agricultural sceneries) maybe using mipmaps and to fade them out completely once the spectator has reached a certain distance. That would be fantastic!

You could always run the FTX Aero tool (from FTX Central) and choose q New ground detail texture, but these are not designed to look like grass...

The problem with the way FSX "details" your ground textures at lower altitudes is that there is only one "detail texture" available... It basically overlays all the textures in FSX with some form of extra detail (like grass, or concrete bumps etc), but if you use a grassy version, you'll have airport surfaces that look like grey grass. Use a concrete version, and your grass looks flat and unrealistic.

Its a case of choosing what you like best or will notice the most.

There are some good versions out there though... Picnic is good if you want grass, or perhaps do a search for FSX ground detail texture...

I tried a free grass texture update by Drzewiecki (the New York City X guys) which worked quite well for me. Can't remember the name of it but should be easy to find. I also improved the trees with Tree Environment X at the same time and vegetation looks great now!

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tell me,please.Why my OrbxControlPanel can't start?

Not in the general discussion forum, with NO SUPPORT. And certainly not in a topic which has nothing to do with your question.

Consider that that may indicate where the problem lies, or post in the correct place with the necessary information - an FSS order number is compulsory.

Please familiarise yourself with the forum before jumping in. Who knows? You might even find your answer...

Archived