Welcome to Sumburgh Intl. Airport, the Shetlands!

This is Martin and my second project for ORBX after Southampton Intl. Airport.

Usually projects are being introduced after they already entered the beta testing stage.

Please note that Sumburgh just passed the alpha testing phase and no buildings are present in the flight simulator at the moment.

John and I decided to share these first impressions with you anyway, so enjoy! :)

I've been to the Shetlands for a couple of days in last October taking photos and doing research for this project.

Thanks to the amazing help the airport manager, the terminal manager and the fire brigade offered me I've been able

to take photos of the entire airport, the runways, taxiways etc. resulting in a very accurate reproduction for FSX and P3D.

The most important features of this project will be a custom made 1m airport terrain mesh,

sloped runways and aprons and the option to switch back to a flat airport layout allowing the use of AI-traffic. And new highly

performant volumetric grass.

Sumburgh airport is known for very challenging approaches mostly due to high winds and bad weather.

But even if you're lucky enough to catch a perfect day there's still runway 33 which has one of the most challenging approaches

in all of Europe. Reminds me of Madeira.

moMnv.jpg

>http://youtu.be/lz5_7gXkqgs

And here are the screenshots of the current stage of the project in FSX:

KS04e.jpg

0Rngq.jpg

t80aH.jpg

52bQM.jpg

jiPN5.jpg

B9JVX.jpg

nice slope, don't you think? 

Waiting for it: first FTX airfield in the North of England!! can you say a little bit about a planning Lars?

<LOL> - "wavn", they might be able to get you into the Witness Protection Plan if you are really, really nice to someone important, for that remark :D . Otherwise, you might want to lay low for a bit :P .

Looks great Lars. I'd be real interested in this one myself. Good luck with the project!

Glenn

Those previews look outstanding. I love island airports, since the only terrain detail transition usually occurs at the waters edge.

The Shetlands, northern England, Scotland, they're all the same thing anyway, right? :::runs for cover::: ;)

Isn't it interesting to see a picture of the real airport when it's being introduced for FSX/P3D?

Otherwise thanks for your kind comments everyone! :-)

Please don't take me wrong. Of course it is interesting to see a picture from the real airport, but I made that comment because I was really astonished of the Quality of this addon, because the rest of the pictures of this same airport, looks exactly like the real one. Because of the Quality that ORBX is bringing to the simming world, I am a proud customer. Thank you.

Hi Lars,

Stuning scenery indeed. Looking forward to enjoying it !

I'd like to know if it will be standalone addon such as Canberra cityscape?

Hey, now - please note that Willem (WAVN) is from the Netherlands, and although his English is probably very good, he still might not have realised that he could have more correctly said TO the north of England. This is a quite different angle. I seem to remember syntax similar to this in, say, German. In any case, I'm sure he meant no disrespect to the Scots, or to the Shetlanders. Even if he really did slip up a little in his geography, it's no cause for sniping. As soon as Willem planned a flight to Lars' beautiful version of Sumburgh, he'd very soon know exactly where it is! But really, I reckon this is just a trivial linguistic glitch, rather than the start of an international incident.

Cheers all. From Ian (in 'Oz' -  way, way south of Sumburgh, Scotland and England.)

Hey, now - please note that Willem (WAVN) is from the Netherlands, and although his English is probably very good, he still might not have realised that he could have more correctly said TO the north of England. This is a quite different angle. I seem to remember syntax similar to this in, say, German. In any case, I'm sure he meant no disrespect to the Scots, or to the Shetlanders. Even if he really did slip up a little in his geography, it's no cause for sniping. As soon as Willem planned a flight to Lars' beautiful version of Sumburgh, he'd very soon know exactly where it is! But really, I reckon this is just a trivial linguistic glitch, rather than the start of an international incident.

Cheers all. From Ian (in 'Oz' -  way, way south of Sumburgh, Scotland and England.)

Thanks Ian.

I know off course the Orkney's (read x-times the story of Prien / Scapa Flow) and the Shetlands; indeed in Holland, we are a bit used to say "England", when we mean the whole Island; at the same time, I realize that there are sensitivenesses, but I regrettably forgot that when I wrote the specific sentences: again many excuses!!

By the way: also in Holland there are the same sensitivenesses: when you speak of an island at the north of Holland: for example "Terschelling": the people of Friesland say (in Dutch): "Me thinks a geography lesson is needed" :)

Well, while we are at it...

Aiiii, is what Ali G says.

Aye, is what the Scots say!

Aye ................ learning all the time :); we were in Scotland in 2010: made a motorcycle camping tour (with my wife on the backseat): Island Arran, Skye, Applecross: so you would say: I should know .....................

I wonder how flying can be done in wintertime in these regions with all these gales:

- how often can a flight be done ?

- and with which aircraft?

We have BN2 Islanders here for our inter-island flights (Orkney), only fog tends to stop them. It's very rare for flights to be cancelled because of wind, and it gets up to Force 9 and 10 here at times.

Steve

Thanks Steve: I see that you have these runway's:
15/33 1,426m Asphalt
09/27 1,500m Asphalt

so most of the time, there is a runway in the wind direction available, I think; nevertheless that must be good pilots ................

The BN2 is on my wishlist; have so far the Aerosoft Twin Otter (extended): do you see Twin Otters there? 

Applecross, mad road but great fun!

On our way to Applecross (the road with the hairpinns), we had low temperatures, rain, fog and wind: my wife asked me: where are you bringing me now??; later on, fortunately we had beautiful weather!!

Thanks Steve: I see that you have these runway's:

15/33 1,426m Asphalt

09/27 1,500m Asphalt

so most of the time, there is a runway in the wind direction available, I think; nevertheless that must be good pilots ................

The BN2 is on my wishlist; have so far the Aerosoft Twin Otter (extended): do you see Twin Otters there? 

I'm actually on Sanday, and I can see them landing through my home office window where I sit for most of the day. I'm often amazed at the conditions that they cope with.

We only have the Islanders using Sanday, apart from the occasional private plane in the summer, and I have no idea what they are, my aircraft recognition isn't very good.

Steve

Archived