Out of memory

rubster

Hi,

I installed Vector today and since then I get an out of memory error in prepar3d 1.4. I haven't had an out of memory with p3d 1.4 ever. So what could be the problem?

I run PMDG 737 and Aerosoft Amsterdam, Global and Vector en Pilots terrain mesh. 

Greets

Ruben

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was having the same problem running FSX with all sliders maxxed out after installing Global Vector, that is I kept getting continuous out of mem errors. It was my left computer shown below with 16GB of memory. I tried making the page files larger on the computer and that made no difference. I then changed the LOD in my fsx.cfg file from 9.0 to 6.0 and haven't got an error message since. However it might just be a coincidence, who knows?

I was having the same problem running FSX with all sliders maxxed out after installing Global Vector, that is I kept getting continuous out of mem errors. It was my left computer shown below with 16GB of memory. I tried making the page files larger on the computer and that made no difference. I then changed the LOD in my fsx.cfg file from 9.0 to 6.0 and haven't got an error message since. However it might just be a coincidence, who knows?

Hi,

I installed Vector today and since then I get an out of memory error in prepar3d 1.4. I haven't had an out of memory with p3d 1.4 ever. So what could be the problem?

I run PMDG 737 and Aerosoft Amsterdam, Global and Vector en Pilots terrain mesh. 

Greets

Ruben

Same Problem here - Same Aerosoft EHAM and after instaling FTX Vector

Same issue here on FSX.  Cannot complete a flight since installing vector this morning.  No issues for months prior to that,  Using the PMDG 777 default LFPG, less 10 NM after take off FSX crashes.  No uninstall I can find so have to roll back the PC ... ARGH!!!!!  Hope there is a fix soon since that's $60 spent but the product cannot be used.

Update: Rolled back the PC prior to the Vector Installation ... all is well again.  The OOM is certainly related to installing Vector.

Same Problem here - Same Aerosoft EHAM and after instaling FTX Vector

I think that the out of memory that you both are getting are NOT related to how much physical ram you have installed on your computer, but rather a limitation of a 32 bit program such as FSX, and Prepar3D. Unfortunately, 32 bit programs can only access up to 4 gigs of ram, and only if that 32 bit program is running in a 64 bit operating system, such as Windows 7. To be clear, and more specific, the 4 gigs I mentioned above is not the physical ram per say, but what Microsoft calls virtual address space (VAS). Based on the design of 32 bit programs, only up to 4 gigs is addressable. In the case of FSX the most probable reason you had no out memory errors before installing Vector is probably, because you have tweaked your CFG file, which increases the VAS from about 3 gigs to 4 gigs. In the case of Prepar3D even in version 2 where the developers have tightened up and improved the memory issues that FSX has, it is still limited to the 4 gigs of VAS. So in both cases by adding Vector your are simply overwhelming the addressable space permitted in a 32 bit program. The only workaround that I think is possible is maybe to disable areas that you are not flying in, because FSX, and I think also Prepar3D automatically allocates VAS to all active areas regardless if you are actively flying there. I know the developers may not want to hear this, but I believe the limits of these 32 bit programs are being exceeded with all of this increased workload being placed on them, such as Vector. The only real solution in my humble opinion in XPlane, which has the potential to be a great flight simulation, since it is a 64 bit program, and as such has NO limits when it comes to memory.  One final thought if I may. FSX unfortunately also has a problem of releasing any unused memory, thereby creating a shortage of memory when in fact there may actually be some left. I hope I helped.

I think that the out of memory that you both are getting are NOT related to how much physical ram you have installed on your computer, but rather a limitation of a 32 bit program such as FSX, and Prepar3D. Unfortunately, 32 bit programs can only access up to 4 gigs of ram, and only if that 32 bit program is running in a 64 bit operating system, such as Windows 7. To be clear, and more specific, the 4 gigs I mentioned above is not the physical ram per say, but what Microsoft calls virtual address space (VAS). Based on the design of 32 bit programs, only up to 4 gigs is addressable. In the case of FSX the most probable reason you had no out memory errors before installing Vector is probably, because you have tweaked your CFG file, which increases the VAS from about 3 gigs to 4 gigs. In the case of Prepar3D even in version 2 where the developers have tightened up and improved the memory issues that FSX has, it is still limited to the 4 gigs of VAS. So in both cases by adding Vector your are simply overwhelming the addressable space permitted in a 32 bit program. The only workaround that I think is possible is maybe to disable areas that you are not flying in, because FSX, and I think also Prepar3D automatically allocates VAS to all active areas regardless if you are actively flying there. I know the developers may not want to hear this, but I believe the limits of these 32 bit programs are being exceeded with all of this increased workload being placed on them, such as Vector. The only real solution in my humble opinion in XPlane, which has the potential to be a great flight simulation, since it is a 64 bit program, and as such has NO limits when it comes to memory.  One final thought if I may. FSX unfortunately also has a problem of releasing any unused memory, thereby creating a shortage of memory when in fact there may actually be some left. I hope I helped.

Thanks VIRGEY for such a great descriptions. The only thing that I can not understand is WHY SOME OF FTX Vector CUSTOMERS HAVE NO PROBLEMS ??

Thanks VIRGEY for such a great descriptions. The only thing that I can not understand is WHY SOME OF FTX Vector CUSTOMERS HAVE NO PROBLEMS ??

Well first of all maybe others have had problems, but are more concerned with all the anomalies that they are experiencing. Some simmers have even come to accept the memory limitations of FSX, and are probably trying different workarounds such as I have suggested in order to mitigate the memory issues. I know that memory issues are a fact of life with FSX, and many others have experienced this problem as well, whether they say so or not. Also these memory issues are mostly tied to the length of the flight, because it seems FSX in particular does not always release all unused memory. As a result the longer the flight, the more chance for an out of memory error. Another possibility is how have they tweaked their CFG file. There are some tweaks that are very good, and beneficial. Also it also depends on how many other addons you have installed on your system, such as airports, regions, cities etc. Also all systems are different. Other things you can try, are disabling shadows, light bloom, reducing traffic density for example. What I have found is that having a very fast computer does very little to overcome VAS limitations. Also having say 64 gigs of ram for example is no better then someone who has say 16 gigs of ram as it relates to VAS in FSX. The biggest benefit to an overclocked machine is that you can turn up all the sliders to the max, and you will have good frame rates, but if that you hit that VAS limit, you will experience the same out of memory error as someone with a slower machine. Finally, nothing is absolute. Everyone's machines are different, and their setup are also different. So what works for you might not be perfect for someone else.

Well first of all maybe others have had problems, but are more concerned with all the anomalies that they are experiencing. Some simmers have even come to accept the memory limitations of FSX, and are probably trying different workarounds such as I have suggested in order to mitigate the memory issues. I know that memory issues are a fact of life with FSX, and many others have experienced this problem as well, whether they say so or not. Also these memory issues are mostly tied to the length of the flight, because it seems FSX in particular does not always release all unused memory. As a result the longer the flight, the more chance for an out of memory error. Another possibility is how have they tweaked their CFG file. There are some tweaks that are very good, and beneficial. Also it also depends on how many other addons you have installed on your system, such as airports, regions, cities etc. Also all systems are different. Other things you can try, are disabling shadows, light bloom, reducing traffic density for example. What I have found is that having a very fast computer does very little to overcome VAS limitations. Also having say 64 gigs of ram for example is no better then someone who has say 16 gigs of ram as it relates to VAS in FSX. The biggest benefit to an overclocked machine is that you can turn up all the sliders to the max, and you will have good frame rates, but if that you hit that VAS limit, you will experience the same out of memory error as someone with a slower machine. Finally, nothing is absolute. Everyone's machines are different, and their setup are also different. So what works for you might not be perfect for someone else.

Thanks again Virgey for your time to answer.

I understand that but what I can't understand is why its hapend now, after FTX Vector instal!? I guess it is also a bug or something that ORBX have to manage becouse this meens that allmost nobody can use FTX Vector...

PS: I am using just a few addon scenery, I am not the kind who install 300+ addons, photo real, and 1000+ free scenerys. I had instaled, before reinstaling now the Windows and FSX,P3D v2, just FSX, FTX Global, FTX Vector max 10 Aerosoft Scenerys and 5 UK2000 Scenerys, REX 4 Direct and FS Real Weather and everything it was perfect before instaling FTX Vector...

Best Regards

Thanks again Virgey for your time to answer.

I understand that but what I can't understand is why its hapend now, after FTX Vector instal!? I guess it is also a bug or something that ORBX have to manage becouse this meens that allmost nobody can use FTX Vector...

PS: I am using just a few addon scenery, I am not the kind who install 300+ addons, photo real, and 1000+ free scenerys. I had instaled, before reinstaling now the Windows and FSX,P3D v2, just FSX, FTX Global, FTX Vector max 10 Aerosoft Scenerys and 5 UK2000 Scenerys, REX 4 Direct and FS Real Weather and everything it was perfect before instaling FTX Vector...

Best Regards

It would seem that you have besides FTX Global, FTX Vector, you also have 10 Aerosoft sceneries ( which are beautiful and detailed) but many of them are resource hogs, 5 UK2000 Sceneries which are also one of the best, but some, not all are hard on resources, Rex has some of the best weather graphics, but also resource hungry. I guess what I am saying is that Vector just might have been the tipping point for some as it relates to out of memory limitations. Have you tweaked your CFG file in FSX? Are you using an external frame limiter? Are you using antialiasing, antiastropic filtering within FSX or are you turning those off, and letting your graphics card handle those options? Are you offloading any other programs such as your weather engine onto a second computer in a networked configuration? Do you have PFPX , and if so is it networked on a second networked computer? All of these suggestions will improve your performance, and help with memory issues. Last, but not least, maybe turn down some of the sliders in FSX such as traffic, and shadows. So to answer your question about nobody being able to use vector, that is NOT what I meant. I just pointed out some facts about FSX, and its limitations. Also every persons situations is different. I also agree that this could also be an issue caused by Vector itself, but I tend to doubt that would be the main problem as it related to memory. I used to have out of memory issues until I made some changes as I suggested above. I run some addons as well with no issues for the most part, but after I tweaked my system. I assure you out of memory issues are NOT as rare as you think, even with all the tweaks.

a good tip to monitor VAS usage into P3Dv2 or FSX is (source: http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/)

Ahmet says: 21/11/2013 at 04:02

"Here is the solution to VAS Usage display through FUSiPC. Thanks to Canada Avsim member

Here is the instruction:

1-Open the FSUIPC setup screen. Go to the “logging†tab, and in one of the “specific value checks†enter the value 024C (first character is zero, not the letterâ€Oâ€).

2-Change the “type†for that value from S8 to S32.

3-Click on the checkboxes to display the value either at the upper window bar, or within the main FSX screen.

Now save and exit. Going forward, you will have a continuously-updated readout in-game of free VAS remaining.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1033/tc51.jpg

My remaining VAS memory before OOM 1,403,260 Kb/1,4GB"

This is the best monitor, for me, to follow (windowed mode) VAS USAGE (How lower is the number, worst). Can be use by Full Screen mode, just adding a windows (see FSUIPC instructions).

And, as a suggestion, read this awesome Guide from Kosta http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/ with the link into the top of this post.

So, test, test, test and find a better "calibration" to your specs. Just for your info, i use i7 4960 with 690GTX 32 Gb and i already reach OOM, sometimes, specialty with Sceneries and Hard (Several Clouds) Met. conditions.

King regards,

I disagree with the statements that other addons are causing the OOMs. It is clear in my experience that installing vector rendered FSX unusable. Uninstalling it instantly fixed the issue.

There is something with this product that is causing OOMs for certain users. The question is why not all? I really would have thought that FTX Global would cause issues, not vector. But what do I know

a good tip to monitor VAS usage into P3Dv2 or FSX is (source: http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/)

Ahmet says: 21/11/2013 at 04:02

"Here is the solution to VAS Usage display through FUSiPC. Thanks to Canada Avsim member

Here is the instruction:

1-Open the FSUIPC setup screen. Go to the “logging†tab, and in one of the “specific value checks†enter the value 024C (first character is zero, not the letterâ€Oâ€).

2-Change the “type†for that value from S8 to S32.

3-Click on the checkboxes to display the value either at the upper window bar, or within the main FSX screen.

Now save and exit. Going forward, you will have a continuously-updated readout in-game of free VAS remaining.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1033/tc51.jpg

My remaining VAS memory before OOM 1,403,260 Kb/1,4GB"

This is the best monitor, for me, to follow (windowed mode) VAS USAGE (How lower is the number, worst). Can be use by Full Screen mode, just adding a windows (see FSUIPC instructions).

And, as a suggestion, read this awesome Guide from Kosta http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/ with the link into the top of this post.

So, test, test, test and find a better "calibration" to your specs. Just for your info, i use i7 4960 with 690GTX 32 Gb and i already reach OOM, sometimes, specialty with Sceneries and Hard (Several Clouds) Met. conditions.

King regards,

Thanks Luiz for you time to explain. 

Best Regards

All installed add-ons installed contribute to memory usage, so it's always the last installed add-on that causes OOM errors and is made responsible for it. I can't think of any way that VECTOR could cause this issue other than just by the fact that it's an additional mempey consumer.

Bernd

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

All installed add-ons installed contribute to memory usage, so it's always the last installed add-on that causes OOM errors and is made responsible for it. I can't think of any way that VECTOR could cause this issue other than just by the fact that it's an additional mempey consumer.BerndGesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

My last installed add on was Fly Tampa Montreal. Did a flight using PMDG 737 from Fly Tampa Boston to Fly Tampa Montreal no issues.

Could this be a bug in Vector???

Of course I meant the last add-on installed and in use (= loaded into memory) when an OOM happens.

Again, I don't know how a BGL file could contain a bug like this. Of course VECTOR increases memory usage (more vector data, higher resolution textures) but calling it a bug that can be fixed is somewhat misleading.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

So I just finished a couple of hours of testing, here are my results ...

• Installing Vector on top of my existing FSX installation with all settings as they were prior to Vector, results in OOM crash within a few minutes of take off from any default airport.
  • Disabling all Scenery add-ons, using the PMDG 777 at a default airport, (Paris or Tokyo), still results in OOM shortly after take off.
  • With the Scenery add-ons still disabled using the default 737, still results in OOM after take off.
  • Rolling the PC back, prior to the Vector Installation, and just for kicks using my worst add ons, FSDream Team KJFK and Captain Sim 763 in overcast weather, no issues

My LOD_RADIUS is set to 4.500000, not some crazy number like 9.  TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is either 1024 or 2048 depending on what I am doing.  None of my scenery sliders are maxed out.  Ed, good question on traffic, haven't looked at it until you brought it up.  Airline and GA Traffic density are set to 10%, all other traffic settings are on 0 including land and sea.  Autogen is set to Normal.

There are several people with this issue, although I realize not everybody is having problems.  I still believe there is something wrong with Vector that causes OOMs.  For now this remains uninstalled until a solution is found.

My system is:

I7-3770 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB memory

Win 7 64-bit

Considering that vector adds more roads, what is your road traffic setting? Maybe that could be a cause?

This is logical.

Autogen is a killer on some systems. I`ve setuped Normal and OOM is disappeared.

Also true.

You´re welcome

1th of all, monitor your VAS ;)

Monitor, yes. But it is still not a solution.

I think the explanation 'may' be related to DX10. Some use it, some do not. I did not use it until I started to learn about Steve's DX10 fixer, and then I got that and never looked back. Solved my OOM issues, and I run gobs of add-on memory hungry payware mega-airports and planes.

Interesting. I do not run the best computer, but I had tweaked it with no problem at all. Just can add all sorts of scenery with no problems with OOM. Especially in p3d I had never had an OOM.

UTX does the same thing and has no problem. Settings of traffic is 10% all the density levels are normal for my computer. Add vector and boom OOM.

I don't like to hear from ORBX that I don't have a problem with Vector. It is to easy to say the problem is mine to solve. I bought a 62 aud dollar program. So the least ORBX can say to me. We are looking into it.

Thank you in advance.

• Installing Vector on top of my existing FSX installation with all settings as they were prior to Vector, results in OOM crash within a few minutes of take off from any default airport.
  • Disabling all Scenery add-ons, using the PMDG 777 at a default airport, (Paris or Tokyo), still results in OOM shortly after take off.
  • With the Scenery add-ons still disabled using the default 737, still results in OOM after take off.
  • Rolling the PC back, prior to the Vector Installation, and just for kicks using my worst add ons, FSDream Team KJFK and Captain Sim 763 in overcast weather, no issues
My LOD_RADIUS is set to 4.500000, not some crazy number like 9.  TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is either 1024 or 2048 depending on what I am doing.  None of my scenery sliders are maxed out.  Ed, good question on traffic, haven't looked at it until you brought it up.  Airline and GA Traffic density are set to 10%, all other traffic settings are on 0 including land and sea.  Autogen is set to Normal.

There are several people with this issue, although I realize not everybody is having problems.  I still believe there is something wrong with Vector that causes OOMs.  For now this remains uninstalled until a solution is found.

My system is:

I7-3770 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

Win 7 64-bit

Indeed...Exactly the same problems I had and we have the same PC hardware.

I repeat for ORBX team: No crashes before FTX Vector instaled !!! ( no other addon scenery instaled after FTX Vector instal ).

Before reading through all your posts I was curious what most are running when experiencing the OoM. I will share that I have seen an increase in VAS as well which ultimately contributes to an OoM, but I have not reduced any setting or prescribed to the suggestions above.

Here is what is going on in my sim.

Aircraft : NGX, T7 pmdg, Level-d 767, CApSim 727, wilco/feel there E-jets (enb/erjs), QWINGS 757/BAe/Avro, pmdg 747, and so on.

Scenery : over 400 -all flytampa, fsdt, a-flight, aerosoft, flightbeam, latinvfr, tropical sim, orbx, FTXG ( obviously) UTX w land class only, etc, and all left on in the sim ( checked active with the exception of about 10 - 15 explained later)

Using also acars with va, sometimes FS flight keeper, ASNXT - active sky next, shade, GEX4 ( which has contributed to increased fans speed- noticed this before installing Vector.

All of this + the others not mentioned are running off of 2 HDD drives in the same tower and single monitor. A typical OoM experience for me would be T7 from Fsdt CYVR to orbx eu / uk2000. First would happen 100 miles out from EGLL uk2000. Most all other uk2000 has been turned off when not in use. Later I chose to fly with hybrid off when flight to or over eu as it saves me immensely from experiencing the OoM until under 10 miles from touch down.

I have only tweaked my cfg with highmex and fftf at .12 and LOD @ 5.5. I just recently increased road traffic to 15. And I typically fly with 37% GA , 62% commercial, boats and yachts at 5and 7% respectively.

My most recent OoM was in the airbusx extended from flytampa's KBUF to FSDT KJFK, but no OoM from default to addon scenery yet. Will have to keep testing and revert. My next flight is from KJFK TO Olso v2 in aerosim 787.

I disagree with the statements that other addons are causing the OOMs. It is clear in my experience that installing vector rendered FSX unusable. Uninstalling it instantly fixed the issue.

There is something with this product that is causing OOMs for certain users. The question is why not all? I really would have thought that FTX Global would cause issues, not vector. But what do I knowI never

I myself never stated that OOM issues were for sure related to Vector. I responded to a relatively common complaint by FSX users for a long time  concerning this well known limitation of 32 bit programs. It is true that not all people are having the same issue, but then again every system is different. People also configure their systems differently. People also have different addons installed. People also tweak their system differently as well. What I also stated was that just maybe Vector was the tipping point for some as it relates to OOM issues. I was not claiming other addons were to blame at all. I also stated that just maybe there is a memory leak issue. Actually I think the opposite concerning Vector, and FTX Global, when it comes to issues. I guess the only way to be sure is to test your system in relation to VAS usage with and without Vector. Maybe Vector is not releasing unused memory address space, but then it could be argued why does it not happen to all users. Your argument could be applied for any issue. The reality is that all systems are different, and what might be right for one, is not necessarily gong to fix a problem for someone else. Most of the reported issue do seem to be directly related to Vector, but a memory issue is NOT necessarily a Vector specific issue. It is a well known FSX issue.

Disabling all Scenery add-ons, using the PMDG 777 at a default airport, (Paris or Tokyo), still results in OOM shortly after take off.

With the Scenery add-ons still disabled using the default 737, still results in OOM after take off.

Rolling the PC back, prior to the Vector Installation, and just for kicks using my worst add ons, FSDream Team KJFK and Captain Sim 763 in overcast weather, no issues

My system is:

I7-3770 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM

Win 7 64-bit

It appears you did the right thing by testing your system with, and without Vector, and also with, and without your other addons. It would appear that Vector is the most likely candidate on your system. I say your system, because unless the OOM error is more widespread, it would seem logical that in your case, and the others who have the same issue, Vector is probably the culprit, but that it is not Vector alone, but rather the interaction of Vector and something specific to your system. I am not defending Vector, but trying to logically figure out the problem based on the current evidence being presented. Let me also add that shadows is also a killer, as well as traffic, but at 10% for traffic you should not have any issues.

I have a fresh win8.1 installation with a fresh P3Dv2 installation. My only Addon is FTX Global. All works very well - until  I install FTX Vector. OOM after max 10 min (start from EDSB Rwy 3) with very moderate settings. Furthermore - plenty of black patches in lakes and rivers. After recover the image before FTX Vector installation all is well again. Install Vector - same issue again. Have a look at the LM Forum - there are many people with the same problems.

I have a fresh win8.1 installation with a fresh P3Dv2 installation. My only Addon is FTX Global. All works very well - until  I install FTX Vector. OOM after max 10 min (start from EDSB Rwy 3) with very moderate settings. Furthermore - plenty of black patches in lakes and rivers. After recover the image before FTX Vector installation all is well again. Install Vector - same issue again. Have a look at the LM Forum - there are many people with the same problems.

Well it is certainly looking more and more like a Vector related problem. It seems that Vector is not ready for prime time.

Someone said it before peoples. It's not vector that incites the OoM on its own but the combination of addons. For me I just confirmed the VAS usage with Vector on and off.

Leaving sliders max except the autogen (@ very dense)

I flew from (FSDT) KJFK to (FLYTAMPA) KBUF and back

Results with Vector on VAS climbed to 3,673,813 k on departure

Results Vector (orbx vector) menus off and UTX on ( vector Ace/ aec not permitted by user to uncheck in menus) 3,198,782 k

I would say that I'm seeing almost a 400 - 500,000 k for vector usage.

This would certainly push the envelope for most using their respective settings

Someone said it before peoples. It's not vector that incites the OoM on its own but the combination of addons. For me I just confirmed the VAS usage with Vector on and off.

The only AddOn I have installed is FlyTampa St Maarten and there I have no problems with OOM. But in Germany (and I have in Europe NO Addons installed) max 10 min to OOM. I think IT IS vector that incites the OoM.

Interesting. I do not run the best computer, but I had tweaked it with no problem at all. Just can add all sorts of scenery with no problems with OOM. Especially in p3d I had never had an OOM.

UTX does the same thing and has no problem. Settings of traffic is 10% all the density levels are normal for my computer. Add vector and boom OOM.

I don't like to hear from ORBX that I don't have a problem with Vector. It is to easy to say the problem is mine to solve. I bought a 62 aud dollar program. So the least ORBX can say to me. We are looking into it.

Thank you in advance.

I agree with you.  It seems like more and more users are posting here saying that after they installed Vector they started to see issues with OOM.  On top of that all eerily similar experiences, few minutes after take off ... OOM.  

As a paying customer of ORBX, whose support is provided through these forums, I expect my issue to be investigated and not so quickly dismissed as it must be your settings or a different add on.  So ORBX, please look into this issue, and not dismiss it so fast.

P3d v2 user here. Had my first ever OOM yesterday, using VECTOR, with very high autogen settings. Reducing them to normal seems to have fixed it.

Until the SIM is converted to 64 bit, these issues won't go away.

P3d v2 user here. Had my first ever OOM yesterday, using VECTOR, with very high autogen settings. Reducing them to normal seems to have fixed it.

Until the SIM is converted to 64 bit, these issues won't go away.

OOMs are not directly related to VECTOR, but rather your autogen density settings and the combination of other memory-intensive addons. If anything, VECTOR will reduce your autogen density rather than increase it. Please remember to not push your PC too hard with any addons, Orbx or otherwise.

OOMs are not directly related to VECTOR, but rather your autogen density settings and the combination of other memory-intensive addons. If anything, VECTOR will reduce your autogen density rather than increase it. Please remember to not push your PC too hard with any addons, Orbx or otherwise.

This is a cop out BS answer!  See my above post, default scenery and default aircraft with Vector cause OOMs.  

If this is the "support" you provide, what are my options for a refund?

Guys (and gals should the case be), as a very long-time computer builder, IMO based on my experience with hardware and FSX, a lot of simmers are barely getting by with their rigs. No insult intended, but it may be time to think about an upgrade path. I respect John's input as the developer, but Vector is loading the memory pool, and if you had a marginal rig (you may be running an Alienware rig, but I'm speaking as far as FSX is concerned, and she (FSX) is a whiny mistress) before and just didn't know it, I think Vector will in fact let you know your rig isn't <quite> there, and you might have to dial it back a little as John recommended.

Yesterday, I reported that my VC and outside views were stuttery. I pushed this rig to it's limit again this morning flying ImagineSim KATL to FlyTampa KTPA Rebooted with the settings maxed out, FS2Crew running, Aivlasoft running, RadarContact4.3 running and ran 27-29 FPS at lowest, FPS locked at 30, and never got over 3.2Gb of the memory pool used. Pushed this rig from 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz on a i7-3770K with Sandy Bridge architecture last night, and both the OS and FSX with all addon's are each running on a 256Gb SSD at 6GB/sec rates. My 1Tb user drive that is mechanical only has my program data and cfg on it, nothing else for FSX. The faster you can feed that core data and process that core pipeline, the less likely you will get an OOM. I have never experienced the OOM - EVER... on any of my rigs.

So, no offense intended, but this is my experience and what I had to do to prevent stutter and <maybe> an eventual OOM, although I never had one, just a CTD when running the sim at 16X sim rate yesterday. I had this issue several months before, but traced it to a bad video card that had a failed fan and was overheating. The fan exhaust from the dual GTX760-OC SLI setup could've been used to heat the house yesterday while running the outside views.

Just my opinion...

EDIT: ASN and REX4 Texture Direct at 2048 X 2048 textures were also running at the same time for the last test.

Very interesting feedback. By experience, I notice ooms and stutters come whenever system over heat. Errors in memory ram then increase and can not be resolved. So it is very important to enhance cooling and removing dust inside the box. Another point to inbestigate is the power supply: dispatching power connexions to devices through maximum of cables from the power unit instead of serialling few ones.

Very interesting feedback. By experience, I notice ooms and stutters come whenever system over heat. Errors in memory ram then increase and can not be resolved. So it is very important to enhance cooling and removing dust inside the box. Another point to inbestigate is the power supply: dispatching power connexions to devices through maximum of cables from the power unit instead of serialling few ones.

Excellent point and a great post. One of the best pieces of advice to get more performance out of your computer - keep it clean.

Just a note - wanted to toss this up so nobody thinks I'm BS'ing them.  Another jewel of info; this board reports that it is an Ivy Bridge northbridge, which is a system hog and runs hot.  It is in fact a Sandy Bridge Z68-E (Enhanced) northbridge, which is updated to handle Ivy Bridge processors.  It is far more efficient at OC'ing and running operations.  If you do decide to build a new machine, please consider the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z MB.  It is a rock-solid, bulletproof gem of a board, and is rather reasonable.  Also, IMO and IME, ASUS boards are the most stable and most feature-rich.  I've used EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and AsRock.  ASUS is it.  I will never use anything else. 

CPU-Z Validator 4.0.pdf

Best,

Kev

As a test with the latest tweaks to the fsx.cfg, I just flew a departure from FSDT KJFK to ImagineSim KCVG.  This was with all addons running, ASN running in heavy rain/winds, 2048 REX cloud textures.  My sliders are set per the DX10 setup guide, so they are set to very dense autogen and texture complexity.  At no point did the sim stutter or do anything but run smoothly.  I used the FSUIPC title bar readout to show the size of the memory pool.  At no time did it go above 1.48GB.  I would post some pics, but when you take the screenshot, that title bar info is not recorded.

Archived