Out of memory

rubster

Just to add something - running same pack as in previous post, reduced autogen density to normal as with ftx global you really don't need more, set airport vehicles to none as I have gsx

Average FPS: 36

Very far from OOM :)

It is a matter of settings and tweaks. I went through thousands of threads, I am a new simmer(started just 4 months ago), but trust me - you can have top rig and You won't max out this sim with top quality addons.

believe me.

Ftx vector is one of them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Marius,

I really apologize, as I've been away from my computer and out of the country on business.

Yes, I use Steve's DX10 Fixer.  I would say some of the best money I've ever spent.

What I did with your cfg file was to make changes to run the same graphics settings as they can be applied to your machine.  Your cfg is otherwise unchanged, so all of your addon's will work. I changed your bufferpools to match mine, and some other small tweaks.  Everything should work except your multiple screens or screen order might change and you would just have to fix that.

Here's an idea:  Remove the affinity masking and revise the bufferpools only.  Use the values I sent you.  Just try that at first, and then make incremental changes by comparing what I sent you with what you have. PLEASE, make a copy of your cfg as it is now and put it in your documents folder so you can easily change everything back.

I now have all of my system restored and ALL of my add on airports installed.  My FPS is as low as 19 or 20 sometimes, but still smooth enough that you don't really notice it.  I am not having any issues with my machine or setup.

Physically, how is your FSX set up, as in does the OS, user files, and FSX all reside on one drive?  Or is FSX and ALL of the related programs and add-ons on a seperate drive?  Are you using mechanical drives, or SSD's?

I did discover something interesting 5 minutes ago while typing this - I removed my second video card that is being used as a dedicated Physx processor in my SLI setup. My memory usage in flight almost doubled.  Had I been using the 777, I probably would have had a CTD or OOM eventually.

Hi kattz,

I have an Ssd256 with win7 64 on it and an Hdd 3000 partitioned in 3. 1000G for FSX, 1000G for P3Dv2 and one more with my personal files. I use this pc just for flight sim. No other big programs not even skype or facebook used on it...

I putchased SteveDX10 and it was a tottaly mess in my FSX, NO pmdg enymore and a very ugly texture arround world, sky.... I just reinstaled FSX without dx10 and just Highmemfix tweak in cfg.

No OOMs now but starting a flight with PMDG737, EGLL-aerosoft, UTX, REX4, FSGRW, FSGlobal2010, FTX Global, GSX I have just 1600000 memory remaing(fsuipc monitor)...and landing on LXGB after 3 hours with max 800000 mem remaining(fsuipc monitor).

I performed further testing with dx10...

I can literally max out everything - autogen, scenery, mesh and it does not influence FPS under my config. The real issue are clouds. Because fsx under dx10 doesn't run msaa (well it does but there is shimmering) I needed to set 4xsgssaa to get rid of it. Now guess what happens with 4xsgssaa, Rex clouds and active sky next with enhanced overcast...

So under dx10 AA is the biggest problem as sgsaa also works on clouds causing 99% Gpu usage in my case and killing performance. I'll either go Titan or shimmering :)

On the other hand I also used interesting setting in mytraffic2013 which shuts off jetways for AI planes - this one helped my CPU performance a lot and now I can max out sliders in game, set Lod to 8.5 and still have decent performance. Will need to perform further tests under dx9...

But as a result - for now vector is not affecting my perfo.

Hi kattz,

I have an Ssd256 with win7 64 on it and an Hdd 3000 partitioned in 3. 1000G for FSX, 1000G for P3Dv2 and one more with my personal files. I use this pc just for flight sim. No other big programs not even skype or facebook used on it...

I putchased SteveDX10 and it was a tottaly mess in my FSX, NO pmdg enymore and a very ugly texture arround world, sky.... I just reinstaled FSX without dx10 and just Highmemfix tweak in cfg.

No OOMs now but starting a flight with PMDG737, EGLL-aerosoft, UTX, REX4, FSGRW, FSGlobal2010, FTX Global, GSX I have just 1600000 memory remaing(fsuipc monitor)...and landing on LXGB after 3 hours with max 800000 mem remaining(fsuipc monitor).

Hi Marius!

I just read about Your issues regarding DX10.

If You want to give DX10 another chance then maybe ask for help at the DX10 subforums, as they are kindly provded by ORBX here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/171-dx10-discussion/

... or also ask at the official DX10 fixer forum at AVSIM!

Steve and Paul (and many others) are really providing great support for the DX10 fix there!

Setting up DX10 is not that hard, but sure - it has do be done properly and this can be a challenge indeed in the beginning.

So maybe consider aksing for help either at the DX10 forums here, as mentioned, or at AVSIM.

I am sure Your issues can be solved!

I am just saying so because i also had troubles to get DX10 working correctly at first, but now i can fly anywhere in DX10 - even with PMDG's great 777 - it looks super great - and i never ever experienced any OOM since i use the DX10 fix!

I am mentioning all this, because many users (and not just me!) really had great success to avoid OOM's by switching to DX10 - sure:

No 200% guarantee can be provided as FSX (and P3D) are 32bit programs, but using DX10 in FSX can really help a lot.

So if You ever want to give DX10 a try again in the future and should need some support, i am sure You will find it at one of the forums here or at AVSIM.

Cheers, Christoph

And just in case:

Maybe also have a look at this most informative and helpful blog-entry about FSX, OOM's and VAS here:

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

You may already know about this article, but if not, then please consider reading through it!

It is most useful!!

Moonman: what Gpu do you run and what anti aliasing settings you have in NI when in dx10 mode?

Hi Mephic!

I may have to make it more clearer in my signature, but i am using a GTX580 - almost three years old by now, but still very happy with it! :)

My basic NI settings are almost the same as those kindly provided by

Adam aka "Adam_NZ" provided at #22 here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65134-new-dx10-fixer-feedback/page-2

... or those as kindly provided by Kilstorm in #57 here

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65134-new-dx10-fixer-feedback/page-3

... or those as kindly provided by J van E, which can be seen here at AVSIM:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421674-dx10-and-fsaa-some-personal-observations/

I then fiddle around a bit and try out every now and then, so i don't know my exact settings at the moment, but overall the NI settings above are almost the same as i am using.

At the FX10 fixer GUI i have set "DX10 Anti" to 32

ay3kM.jpg

(This is an older image here above, but basically these are my settings)

Not sure if this helps, but i hope it does and i can just again invite everyone having issues switching to DX10 to really check out the the DX10 subforums here at ORBX or - even better(!!) - the dedicated DX10 fixer support forums over at AVSIM!!!

Because that's certainly the best place to receive proper, useful and detailed support for it! ;)

Cheers, Christoph

Well... As I said - I can max out literally everything in game using complex addons as Rex direct, active sky next and PMDG + all the terrains from fsglobal and ftx but in dx10 in order to get rid of shimmering and jaggies I need to set at least 4xSGSSAA which kills my performance when there is overcast. In clear sky - 30-40 FPS. With overcast conditions - it dropped to 10 yesterday. 4xsgssaa and active sky next with enhanced overcast + Rex direct is a no go to me as my 660ti usage hits 99% on core (memory is fine, usage below 1gb). I will try to play with cloud shader cull/clip in fixer today and if this won't help I will just need a new Gpu. I didn't try 32x AA though yet,but it won't help with PMDG i guess as only transparency AA works on it

Hi Marius!

I just read about Your issues regarding DX10.

If You want to give DX10 another chance then maybe ask for help at the DX10 subforums, as they are kindly provded by ORBX here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/171-dx10-discussion/

... or also ask at the official DX10 fixer forum at AVSIM!

Steve and Paul (and many others) are really providing great support for the DX10 fix there!

Setting up DX10 is not that hard, but sure - it has do be done properly and this can be a challenge indeed in the beginning.

So maybe consider aksing for help either at the DX10 forums here, as mentioned, or at AVSIM.

I am sure Your issues can be solved!

I am just saying so because i also had troubles to get DX10 working correctly at first, but now i can fly anywhere in DX10 - even with PMDG's great 777 - it looks super great - and i never ever experienced any OOM since i use the DX10 fix!

I am mentioning all this, because many users (and not just me!) really had great success to avoid OOM's by switching to DX10 - sure:

No 200% guarantee can be provided as FSX (and P3D) are 32bit programs, but using DX10 in FSX can really help a lot.

So if You ever want to give DX10 a try again in the future and should need some support, i am sure You will find it at one of the forums here or at AVSIM.

Cheers, Christoph

And just in case:

Maybe also have a look at this most informative and helpful blog-entry about FSX, OOM's and VAS here:

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

You may already know about this article, but if not, then please consider reading through it!

It is most useful!!

Thanks moonman for your time to answer me.

I will take a closer look in the apropiate future about DX10. I am testing and testing and testing right now...FSX and also P3Dv2.

Best Regards

Marius L.

Thanks moonman for your time to answer me.

I will take a closer look in the apropiate future about DX10. I am testing and testing and testing right now...FSX and also P3Dv2.

Best Regards

Marius L.

You are welcome Marius!

All the very best for Your search and i am sure You will find a proper set up for Your sim soon!

It is always a time consuming thing to set up our sims properly, but maybe always try to remember - it is still just a sim and so taking steps slowly, one after another can often be more succesfull in the end than trying to get it all done at once! ;)

Cheers, Christoph

Well... As I said - I can max out literally everything in game using complex addons as Rex direct, active sky next and PMDG + all the terrains from fsglobal and ftx but in dx10 in order to get rid of shimmering and jaggies I need to set at least 4xSGSSAA which kills my performance when there is overcast. In clear sky - 30-40 FPS. With overcast conditions - it dropped to 10 yesterday. 4xsgssaa and active sky next with enhanced overcast + Rex direct is a no go to me as my 660ti usage hits 99% on core (memory is fine, usage below 1gb). I will try to play with cloud shader cull/clip in fixer today and if this won't help I will just need a new Gpu. I didn't try 32x AA though yet,but it won't help with PMDG i guess as only transparency AA works on it

Hi Mephic!

I see and fully understand!

The thing on my end here is - just personally speaking now - that with my medium range PC i gave up looking at FPS to closely.

My sim runs smoothly now and i am happy with it.

That means that i do reduce my autogen sliders to "dense" for instance whenever flying an airliner of the class such as PMDG's NGX, 777, Majestic's Dash or other complex aircraft such as Flight 1's B200 for instance.

I also reduce my water settings then and also road traffic and AI and all that.

But that's a compromise i can easily live with as overall my sim runs really well and looks very good to me.

So in regards to performance i - again only personally speaking - do not really care if i have 15, 25 or 30 FPS on my sim as long as it runs stutter free and - overall - smoothly, which it really does!

When i fly low and slow with let's say the A2A C172 i can even max out all my sliders and still gain great performance at 25+ FPS mostly (I keep road traffic and other AI traffic rather low though even then or sometimes even turned off comletely).

I am totally aware that this is a compromise and others may enjoy different settings, but for me personally i am really pleased and glad to have FSX running now so very stable with all my most wanted add ons in use - thankfully due to DX10.

Cheers, Christoph

You are welcome Marius!

All the very best for Your search and i am sure You will find a proper set up for Your sim soon!

It is always a time consuming thing to set up our sims properly, but maybe always try to remember - it is still just a sim and so taking steps slowly, one after another can often be more succesfull in the end than trying to get it all done at once! ;)

Cheers, Christoph

Hey mooman. Indded. I learned this after 5 years of FSX hobby...

Best Regards

Marius L.

I find it interesting that people claim that switching to DX10 is solving their OOM issues.

I have not made such an observation. I even started with a new fsx.cfg and just some basic tweaks like the Highmemfix. Other than that I kept all my settings as they were in DX9.

The OOM's still occur where they always occured, switching to DX10 did nothing.

And why should it?

I even see reports of OOM's in P3Dv2 under DX11. I call it a myth that moving away from DX9 in any way solves the issues of hitting the 32bit VAS limitation. 

I find it interesting that people claim that switching to DX10 is solving their OOM issues.

I have not made such an observation. I even started with a new fsx.cfg and just some basic tweaks like the Highmemfix. Other than that I kept all my settings as they were in DX9.

And why should it?

I even see reports of OOM's in P3Dv2 under DX11. I call it a myth that moving away from DX9 in any way solves the issues of hitting the 32bit VAS limitation.

You sir are wrong. Reason why it is causing OOM much less often is the fact that default fsx is using less vas with dx10 than dx9. Plus you can use bloom with much less FPS impact due to the fact how it is being rendered. Same goes for water which also looks much, much better.

You sir are wrong. Reason why it is causing OOM much less often is the fact that default fsx is using less vas with dx10 than dx9. Plus you can use bloom with much less FPS impact due to the fact how it is being rendered. Same goes for water which also looks much, much better.

How can I be wrong when my FS clearly behaves the same way in regards to reaching the VAS limitation as it did before?

And you see the same vas usage with DEFAULT fsx WITHOUT mods after starting game and flying for some while and than the same situation goes on with mods on? Than this is the first time I ever see this because from what I've read and tested by myself it differs a lot and gives much nicer Gpu/CPU balance

Hi Luiz,

I've changed LOD_RADIUS to 5.5 and reduced traffic as you mentioned for a test with the same flight into PANC.

This time there was no memory problem.

I noticed in task manager that the FSX proces used more VAS than in the LOD_RADIUS 4.5 case but it stayed nicely below the low 3.x Gig's I had with LOD_RADIUS 6.5 which of course makes sense :-)

Regards,

Sorry for later aswer, i didn´t see till now. This is a major problem, LOD radius and VAS. Depends of any particular machine, cause, is affected by particular configs, and usage of FSX cache. Happy to help you, i tested, LOD_Radius=5.5 is the best costs X benefits according my specs.

And why should it?

The bar has been raised but. I have to lower settings to Normal DX9 level in London with UK2000 EGLL and FTX England and EGHI enabled. VFR in the NGX. It is always a compromise between autogen, AI and weather even in DX10. P3DV2 is the same i guess.

Anyway why is it FTXGLOBAL feels smoother than regions at the same performance? I had this feeling both with AMD and Nvidia.

Michael

After thorough testing including switching off vector and mesh data and tweaking multiple other options - I can confirm that ftx vector eats a lot of vas and I guess it is a price we have to pay for correct roads and multiple other stuff it brought to our sim. Without vector my vas is 400 mb lower so it ate almost as much as PMDG NGX. Waiting for control panel to find culprit

Archived