A winter tour across the snowy mountains

Stillwater

Ok, first: this is northern hemispere winter, but i am still flying in AU blue. And second: The Snowy Mountains are named this way, regardless of actual weather conditions.

Canberra take-off:

hVkqO.jpg

Adelong airstrip below:

K9dS.jpg

Blowering dam, a part of the Snowy Mountains scheme: a "hydroelectricity and irrigation complex in south-east Australia. The Scheme consists of sixteen major dams; seven power stations; a pumping station; and 225 kilometres (140 mi) of tunnels, pipelines and aqueducts that were constructed between 1949 and 1974. The Scheme ... is the largest engineering project undertaken in Australia.

The water of the Snowy River and some of its tributaries, much of which formerly flowed southeast onto the river flats of East Gippsland, and into the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean, is captured at high elevations and diverted inland to the Murray River and the Murrumbidgee River, through two tunnel systems driven through the Snowy Mountains.

The water falls 800 metres (2,600 ft) and travels through large hydro-electric power stations which generate peak-load power for the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales and Victoria."[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains_Scheme]

AuINa.jpg

Talbingo dam:

ITxUz.jpg

Cooma Snowy Mountains airport:

4TOFt.jpg

Polo Flats:

9POS.jpg

During the approach to Merimbula FSX had the pleasure to change the weather, to a more hazy version.

NMvBf.jpg

Seems this airport needs a return in sunny conditions...:

URWvi.jpg

Thank you all for watching & commenting!

stunning shots my friend!

great picks

thumbs up

nice tour and good info

stu

Great pics Gerold and very snowy mountains *ähem*

Well, in summer they do not relly show how the name was made.

Since it is -10 C here in Spokane , I appreciate your warm and lovely shots Gerold .

Cheers

Brad

8)

Great shots Gerold and very nice livery! And this is definitely not our winter! :D

Beautiful shots and surprising infos.  How does it feel to play God and send some fog over the bay...?!

Always surprising, the FSX weather...

Awesome shots.

Can somebody explain to me the name "Snowy Mountains"?

Only snow I've seen in AU is down in Tasmania. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains : The range contains the five highest peaks on the Australian mainland, all above 2,100 metres (6,900 ft). They are located in southern New South Wales and are part of the larger Australian Alps and the Great Dividing Range. Unusually for Australia, the region experiences large natural snowfalls every winter. Snow normally falls the most during June, July and early August. Most of the snow has melted by late spring. The Tasmanian highlands are the other Alpine region in Australia.

I did another flight with date set to August, but it was all green. Maybe one needs to try "hard winter" in July...

Superb set of shots Gerold!!

Adam

Archived