Which country would you like Orbx to do next?

John Venema

We'd like some feedback on which countries after AU Orbx should do:  

806 members have voted

1. 1. We'd like some feedback on which countries after AU Orbx should do:

• New Zealand
    • Asia
    • South America
    • Pacific Islands
    • Europe
    • Rest of USA/Canada, excluding PNW Region
    • Other, please specific in your post

New Zealand for me, as I am married to a Kiwi and this will keep my flight simming less painful.

I have seen a fair bit of N.Z and it has a vast difference between the top and bottom of both islands.

Yes N.Z may have been done by others before but for a place with a landscape like it has it really needs the FTX treatment. ;)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there been any decision when New Zealand::Pacific Islands::Asia

are going to be slotted in after Australia.

JohnG....

This poll is not going to make the decision for Orbx, rather it's just a "feeler". To make those sorts of calls, we would have to do paid-for market research. It certainly does appear that FTX NZ could come sooner than planned though :)

Jeez, Europe's making a late run in this poll...  The Kiwi's have dropped below the magic 40% and are looking a bit vulnerable.

Sheesh, as you can tell, life is a bit mundane waiting for FTX to be released  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers,

I just read on the AVSIM forums that GEXn is going to do NZ as well, something about a Oceania package as well, maybe contact Nick John?

GEX doing AU/NZ/Oceania/Asia/South America all rolled into one texture product that overwrites default is completely at odds with the FTX approach and I wish them well in their endeavours. As you know FTX will work with any other texture addon product so the two can live happily side by side, if that's what people choose to do.

Well I voted for Asia only because as most others have already pointed out it is a neglected region for FS scenery development.

However my next preference would be NZ as it is such a majestic country with many diverse regions & it would really show how good FTX is. 

South Africa / Africa Please!  ;D Full of interesting and beautiful places to explore with the FTX quality enhancement.

Yeah Shaun, I think Cape Town would look absolutely stunning in FTX. In fact, the terrain is almost the same style as Victoria. It would be simple to create a custom landclass have a peek just for the fun of it. Of course a lot of local aerial photography would be needed to truly regionalise it though.

What?  Does that mean Cape Town has 4 seasons/weather in one day as well...

Interesting... Melbourne weather... Perfect one day, shouse the same day, average also the same day and OK the same day...  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers...

Yeah Shaun, I think Cape Town would look absolutely stunning in FTX. In fact, the terrain is almost the same style as Victoria. It would be simple to create a custom landclass have a peek just for the fun of it. Of course a lot of local aerial photography would be needed to truly regionalise it though.

Yep, if South Africa had the same work done as Australia (regions), and you add a decent mesh, and if it were possible, it would be great! Weather wise Cape Town is like Perth and Durban is like Brisbane ...

Switzerland!

Why? The most spectacular scenery on earth. OK, South Island of NZ is great but it's not on the radar of most folks in North America, which is the largest potential market for a FSX add on. In contrast, everyone has at least heard of Switzerland, it's not an unrealistically large area to cover, and could appeal to the European market as well as the US.

Cheers,

Noel.

Switzerland!

Why? The most spectacular scenery on earth. OK, South Island of NZ is great but it's not on the radar of most folks in North America, which is the largest potential market for a FSX add on. In contrast, everyone has at least heard of Switzerland, it's not an unrealistically large area to cover, and could appeal to the European market as well as the US.

At least with NZ, you can do the whole island and flying into it will be a realistic experience.  With Switzerland, imagine having half the Alps non FTX'd and half not...  Nope, I think NZ would be a much better option initially.  Maybe Switzerland in combination with a number of Euro areas in a "Region" pack, but later.

Why do the UK when photo-realistic scenery is already available from both Horizon Simulations and Just Flight?

Besides, UK scenery is not exactly gripping, apart from the Lakes District and Wales.

Cheers,

Noel.

Because FTX looks so much better than just the photoreal pics painted over mesh. Besides, Horizon haven't bothered to add any objects yet.

I sort of agree with your comment about the UK being one of the less spectacular regions of the world but it's my home!  ;)

My second choice would be Iceland but I know that wouldn't get many votes  :'(

Cheers,

Dan.

Hello everybody :)

Coming from Germany, I voted for Europe, of course ;)

Europ has many different regions and landscapes, so this could be very interesting.

But NZ wouldn't be bad either  :D

Anyway, looking forward to the release of the first FTX pack!

Alex

John and team,

Try not to stress too much, people have waited patiently, another 6 hours wont kill them, and of course there is me and where I am its 7am and you said 6 hours 2 hours ago so I have all day to reinstall FSX and optimize it ready to go before that so thanks for giving me the time not to have to rush my FSX install, great job guys, I wish I had the ORBx office number so I could call and congratulate you all from the states for finally making my hometown so flyable!

Cheers guys have one for me.

Ryan

Aussiecop

Please just pick one option which is most important to you personally. This is not going to be a poll to decide for Orbx what to do, but it's simply a gauge of what users want most.

John can't wait to see this stuff in West Europe :-)

Cheers,

André

Coming from the US, I have to say to the guy that said there isn't much to see, well, you don't know where to look, it is a big country. Check out Alaska sometime, or the grand canyon for example. Or I could show you some stuff on multiplayer around my home town of Bozeman, Montana.  Great scenery. :)

Anyway we do have an OVERWHELMING selection of different texture mods to choose from already so... I vote New Zealand. The scenery is awe inspiring there and a NZ texture pack for FSX would definite give me reason to fly down there.

Guest Private-Cowboy

I'll say NZ for sure. North American and Europe got their treatement with UTX/GEX and NZ fits the style of FTX perfectly. Its also very diverse and just a great place to fly.

Hi,

I installed FTX last night and its fantastic!! Excellent work!

I agree that US, Canada and Europe already have plenty of texture/landclass/topography addons in UTX and GEX (which together, although not up to FTX's standard, do a pretty reasonable job).

I'd love to see other parts of the world, Asia, Africa, South America etc. Leave US and Europe till last!

Cheers,

Paul

I can quite understand why you might go for the potentially best customer base (the USA) but I'd love the UK with a closely packed and interesting land mass to be chosen. The screenshots you've displayed look fantastic and I would think that Microsoft wouldn't be too disappointed because it would do their sales of FSX a power of good as well.

:) You do it, I'll buy it. AU Blue is awesome !! Can't wait for more regions !

Thanks for all your hard work.

Sue

Some much to do ..  where to start next?  I support the "Think Globally, Act Locally.." viewpoint..  NZ is top of the list (along with any other missing AU bits, be it Tassie, the Top end or the 'bidgee's missing bits) then PNG (where the flying experience is "up there"-  on its own), .. and after that?... what the heck..  for an entree to EU I reckon Scandinavia sounds good to me :). Love your work .. Great job team!!

Sam

Well, my 2 cents as a soon-to-be customer of FTX (hope my system can handle it!) : IMO the most logical choice is NZ. Then followed by SE Asia. Europe and North America have good coverage already, with a lot of competition. However, Scandinavia might still be a good option, though, but then including Iceland! I would also vote for South America. Little coverage so far, awesome scenery (i.e. Canaima) 

Guest J van E

EUROPE!

And before AUGold, please. 8)

Because Europe is quite diverse (not big but diverse!) I suggest starting with the most beatiful country: Norway. And no, I don't live there. After Norway you can work on the Netherlands. Which looks crap compared to Norway, but hey, I live in the Netherlands, so...

I do wonder though how many parts Orbx is planning to make for Europe. It sure can't be done in one! I think at least four are needed: south (Spain, Italy, etc.) middle (Netherlands, UK, Germany, etc.), north (Scandinavia) and east (the rest).

Hm, I don't think Orbx will manage this before AUGold... ;D

Archived