Which country would you like Orbx to do next?

John Venema

We'd like some feedback on which countries after AU Orbx should do:  

806 members have voted

1. 1. We'd like some feedback on which countries after AU Orbx should do:

• New Zealand
    • Asia
    • South America
    • Pacific Islands
    • Europe
    • Rest of USA/Canada, excluding PNW Region
    • Other, please specific in your post

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Europe. Actually, since the most efficient thing is to identify a region with similar ground, vegetation etc.. that could be something like "Mediterranean Europe" including Spain, south of France, Italy etc and all the way around up to Algeria and Morocco. North Africa has never been covered by any addon despite being a major touristic destination. I don't know about aerial photos and landclass data though...

Otherwise, I'd love to see a detailed rendition of south east Asia. Starting flights from Oz, there are wonderful place to go such as Singapore, Bangkok or Hong-Kong (or the amazing Macau airport :P).

And then, Pacfic Islands sound a great idea too.

It's just gotta be Northern England (Lake District), Scottish Borders region and the Scottish Highlands. We can compete with Switzerland/Austria and NZ for shear grandeur and beauty. Given the choice I would go for NZ as a close second and Austria coming up third. No disrespect to our US brethern but I strongly believe there is still a vast hitherto untapped flight sim community to be brought to the fore in Europe.

Hi,

My name is Francesco, and I'm sorry for my bad english...

...I'm a Italian simmer (from Sicily)....

I bought your wonderful software and now I fly only in Australia.. :)

I hope in near future to fly in Europe, and especially in Italy with your fantastic "fullterrain"

Francesco

Hi,

Suggestion - put Europe down the list. I just noticed a new product coming out called FS Altitude which covers it, albeit photo images at high level, so less use for VFR but for us iron simmers....

http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=898

Nah, stick to NZ and Asia please.....no other developers seems interested which is weird because so many of us would love to fly

there...

ravey

I'm a Kiwi so, yes I am going to say New Zealand. It's not just because it's my home country but because it is considered around the world to be a beautiful country that would benefit the flight sim world immensly by the FTX treatment. It is currently just an FSX desert and I am careful where I fly there. :-\  The diversity of flying as mentioned by a previous poster is also difficult to recreate in many countries.  Its proximity to Australia is another advantage. The international flight opportunities between the two countries adds another spectrum to the AU rainbow..a sort of 'sparkle on the side'.    After that (or perhaps packaged with NZ) Rarotonga and Fiji, to add a bit of nearby tropical content to the unfolding FTX web?

A great product now in my possesion. I think I could trust Orbx to do a good job of New Zealand.  ;D     

Hi,

My name is Francesco, and I'm sorry for my bad english...

...I'm a Italian simmer (from Sicily)....

I bought your wonderful software and now I fly only in Australia.. :)

I hope in near future to fly in Europe, and especially in Italy with your fantastic "fullterrain"

Francesco

:D :D :D

I find that most of europe is covered already, and covered very well, I might add, with photographic scenery. The one area of the world that seems to be really lacking is Southern Africa. I'd love to be able to fly over Natal (Eastern S.A.) and revisit the area I grew up in. I know, completely selfish, but thats why its a 'request'.

Because FTX looks so much better than just the photoreal pics painted over mesh. Besides, Horizon haven't bothered to add any objects yet.

I sort of agree with your comment about the UK being one of the less spectacular regions of the world but it's my home! 

My second choice would be Iceland but I know that wouldn't get many votes 

Cheers,

Dan.

As an aside Dan, I see you said that there were no objects, as of yet, for Horizon's VFR stuff (UK) .. well, if you're prepared to do a little digging & legwork (as it were) you could always install the AGN files, as well as other real world scenery objects from www.vfraddons.co.uk, which is all available for free and should work just as well with Just Flights scenery too. Hope that helps mate!

I figured new zealand was a given and would already be top of the list, so I voted Pacific Islands.  But in my mind that covers ALL the islands in the pacific area... Japan, Philipines, Indonesia, PNG, Soloman islands, Hawaii (I'm aware there is already scenery for hawaii), etc.  I think it would be great to go island hopping around these areas.

I voted for New Zealand as there is some spectacular country over there and I think you guys would do a hell of a great job.

Africa and Asia would be my next choices.  Even though the Americans are a huge market, I think they have more than enough attention directed to that continent.  If you do elsewhere it might get more of them to fly outside their patch and see what the rest of the world looks like  ;);D

I cast my vote for New Zealand.  Having said that and taking into account your business and profit requirements, I think Krigl made a very important comment in his post on page one of this thread.  You need to pick a country that you the team are interested in doing and will find fun to do.  Yes you do now have to make a profit so that has to be taken into consideration but your product is excellent and sells itself.  You are planning to cover the world so it will be important that the team maintain their enthusiasm to complete the project :)

Personally, I'd like to see you guys tackle Africa (at least parts of it!) as this is also an area which seems to be very neglected in the sim.

Cheers

Jack

But they can't!  I've changed the zebra texture to make horses

Since most people like to fly over familiar territory the most, I think most people would like to see their home area covered with FTX quality.  Since I live in Missouri, USA, I would like to see Orbx cover the rest of the USA.

At $30/each, purchasing the region packs will start adding up quickly, so I'll have to be a little choosy as to which ones I buy.  I mean no disrespect at all to Australia, but I've never been there, so the difference between flying over, say, Brisbane and Melbourne is not that meaningful to me.  I may not even buy AU Gold since I can get my FTX fix with AU Blue.  On the other hand, the difference between Chicago and St. Louis is very meaningful to me since I used to live in St. Louis and have visited Chicago numerous times.  I would likely purchase ALL region packs covering the US, even though I already own GTX and UTX, while I would only purchase a small handful of selected region packs covering other areas of the world.

If money were no object, I would say that Orbx should give some love to all regions of the world and I would buy them all.  But since money is a limited resource for me, and I assume for Orbx as well, I would say that Orbx should focus on covering areas that will generate enough profit to continue producing such fantastic scenery. 

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I guess the paid-for market research is what really determines which areas are likely to be profitable.

You raise valid points Pesto, and we understand where you're coming from completely.  We're going to do areas around the world which offer the best VFR experiences first, which is why PNW is first cab off the rank for the USA.

Also, don't discount AU GOLD and GREEN - they will offer some of the most spectacular VFR flying in the country, along with beautiful tropical islands and literally hundreds of freeware airports to choose from. Imagine doing island hopping in a Beaver or shuttle flights to Hamilton Island resort, or doing a flight over Hinchinbrook Island with it's spectacular cliffs and mangrove river delta?  You simply can't compare Melbourne to Brisbane because they are worlds apart - sort of like comparing Miami to Boston really ;)

Guest SimFreak

I'm Dutch yet I voted for Asia. I'd love to see Europe done but I feel that Asia has always been a bit neglected and having seen the beauty and strength of Au Blue I can only dream of what wonders you guys could do to Asia. Such an interesting continent!

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Italy would be an in incredible piece of scenery (especially if the Dolomites were modeled rather than formed by mesh).

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/150874/dolomites-mountains.html

Also South America is an unknown treasure for most flight simmers (especially the Andes Mountains), but beware of its gigantic area!! You will need an army of scenery artist to make any real progress. You would have to create a huge number of new textures plus the landclass to use them.

Don

Maybe an Orbx'd Singapore and Hong Kong package with airports, although I did vote for the Land of the Wrong White Crowd initially  ;D

Cheers and whatever you guys decide, I am more than confident it will be ground breaking.

I'm just hoping that your PNW region covers as much of province of British Columbia and the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho.

You guys just keep making the regions, I'll trust your judgement..just keep up the great work!!

Dave

p.s if someone could just do up a quick version of Ontario, Canada...forget what it looks like out my front door  ;)

Archived