Zagging into Cumbernauld.

VH-KDK

The final part on my quick tour east of Edinburgh.

17.eEiB.jpg

Back over Stirling and the Forth River, with the castle above the aircraft.

18.r2EPG.jpg

Following the M9 passing Whins of Milton and Bannockburn. In 1314, Bannockburn was the scene of the most decisive victory for the Scots against the English in the Wars of Scottish independence when Edward Bruce's army routed Kind Edward II's force.

19.UaDcL.jpg

The amazing Falkirk Wheel, rotating boat lift.

20.SYA6z.jpg

The Falkirk Wheel connects the Forth and Clyde Canal with the Union Canal. 11 locks were built in the 1930's but fell into disrepair. It used to take nearly 1 day to travel through the 11 locks. Today the wheel takes just 15 minutes to cover the 79ft difference in height.

21. 1Z3zu.jpg

The 2 caissons that carry the boats are so well balanced that it takes only the equivalent power of boiling 8 kettles of water to complete the lift.

22.Uw1Oa.jpg

It is only a short distance to the airport of Cumbernauld from Falkirk. Cumbernauld came into being in 1956 as an overspill town for Glasgow.

23.Lj3KT.jpg

Safely down at Cumbernauld.

Hope you enjoyed the short tour of the special features included in the wonderful ORBX Scotland scenery. A great scenery pack to consider if you have not already purchased.

All straight vee's with minimal cropping.

First time I hear and see this Falkirk wheel. If it was not written so seriously, I would be certain that you're joking. That looks like a real ingenious system. I'll have to go on Google and study how it works. Great set!

Thank you much for the tour Martyn, very enjoyable indeed!! Great shots!!

Adam

First time I hear and see this Falkirk wheel. If it was not written so seriously, I would be certain that you're joking. That looks like a real ingenious system. I'll have to go on Google and study how it works. Great set!

Fabulous shot, enjoyed looking at them

Thank you for this geographical and historical trip Martyn - nice pics and very informative.

Real nice set Martyn.

cheers

Iain

Great Set of the Stirling Area (my home town as a child) and also a good sound knowledge.  Thanks for posting!

Great shots!  AA++

More top notch shots Martyn , I enjoyed the tour also .

Cheers

Brad

Verry interresting tour and a great set of shots Martyn!

Thank you very much for commenting. Glad you enjoyed.

Archived