Working on another set of FTX Global airports

Neil Hill

Hi Folks,

While I'm waiting for my first set of FTX Global airports to be released (SoCal) I've started on another set.  I ran across a list I did some while ago of  "most exotic/interesting airports in the U.S.A". 

I've done T94, Twin Oaks Airport, an insignificant airport in San Antonio, TX. It's claim to fame is that it sit's right in the middle of a very large subdivision, I guess it didn't "sell out" so the developers just built around it.  You can't appreciate it's small size in FSX as they 1) misplaced it and 2) made the grass background way too large.  The challenge will be not only to land there but to find it in the first place.

Also I just finished KSEZ, Sedona, AZ.  It's unofficial title is "S.S. Sedona" as it sits on a hill overlooking the town and kind of looks like the top of a large aircraft carrier.  It evidently is quite a challenge to get into because of a cross winds coming up the hill, from any side.  Add some cross wind and give it a try.

So... any other airports of this variety (exotic/interesting) that come to mind?  So long as their not too big and located in the U.S. I'll see what I can do to about making at least some of them available.

Cheers, Neil

Not sure how unique or interesting this might be, but how about a 'US national park' airport set?  Say Bar Harbor in Acadian National Park in Maine, for one.  Or one of the airports in the Grand Canyon National Park.  Maybe Terlingua Ranch Airport in Big Bend National Park out in SW Texas.  Everglades Airport might be another. Va capes Virgina, or something on Chesapeake Bay in MD.  Something up in Mount Rushmore or in the Black Hills... Find one on the mississippi River with an old Steamboat parked there, say around Natchez MS or Vicksburg.  Just kicking out some ideas here.

Also Neil if you were ever to get the good quality imagery, I'd pay good money for a set of US Coast Guard Air stations - like the one that Chuck79 did for Port Angeles (I think that was the guy -- somebody please correct me if mistaken).

Hi Ripcord,

Well I've done the Grand Canyon National Park Airport, KGCN but found out OZx had done it so I'll keep it to myself.  I'll keep the National Parks airports group as a possibility for later, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers, Neil

Great news Neil. Sedona is a beautiful airport. I have flown in there a number of times back in the early 90th. Airport is on a table mountain in a big "red" Valley. The runway has no room for errors. Breakfast at the airport was a Sunday rendevouz.

Honestly don't know if it is available already yet, but as I do my global trek in an RV-7A I'd love to visit Vans Aircraft!   Youv'e probably got a couple of months before I arrive there; go go go! :D

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/contact.htm

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/directions.htm

AURORA STATE AIRPORT- "KUAO" AURORA, OR
Additional Information may be obtained from Aeroplanner.com , and Airnav.com 
Lat/Long: 45-14-49.700N / 122-46-12.200W (45.2471389 / -122.7700556) (estimated)
Elevation: 200 ft. / 61.0 m (surveyed)
Variation: 18E (1995)
From city: 1 mile NW of AURORA, ORDimensions: 5004 x 100 ft. / 1525 x 30 m
Surface: asphalt, in good condition
Weight limitations: Single wheel: 30000 lbs

Hi All,

@Brad - Hmmm... Dutch Harbor (Unalaska Airport, PADU) looks interesting, talk about in the middle of nowhere, but no Meigs Field thank you.

@Matt - please give me an ICAO, I can't seem to find Kermit Weeks pad anywhere.

@Mike - Sedona, good table mountain but no "red" valley, I must go with what "Global" gives me.

@Howard - I took a look at Bishop and I'll do it, primarily because it will be a very good airport to do to support the upcoming NCA area.

@jpreou - KUAO was done as part of PNW, I won't redo it.

This afternoon I did Telluride, KTEX (looks cool in the snow!!) so I still have a few more I can do.

Cheers, Neil

Hey Neil, what about KBTP Butler County/Scholter Airport located just a few miles southwest of Butler, Pennsylvania? It's a really cool airport and it doesn't look as if it would be all that complicated to model.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this one.

Thanks.

Couldn't find the ICAO last night its FA08.

http://skyvector.com/airport/FA08/Orlampa-Inc-Airport

Google Maps link:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=polk+city+fl&ll=28.1646,-81.809714&spn=0.013355,0.022724&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Polk+City,+Polk,+Florida,+United+States&gl=uk&t=h&z=16

Well, it is not in the US but very close: How about the Toronto Island airport (south of Toronto)?

And then there always is Telluride, Colorado, which could use some improvement over the default FSX version ...

First this is an AWESOME POST Neil.  I commend you for reaching out there and asking about airports that may fit what your looking to do. 

Second, I know T94 all too well.  I'm from San Antonio, TX.  I'm a RW Private Pilot, Instrument rated, and near to take the Commercial Pilot Practical.  I'm also an aircraft owner.  I own a Liberty XL2 N541XL.  We call Twin Oaks the Urban Bush!  I've landed there in Cherokee's number of times but my Liberty is not so forgiving to chance a landing there.  I live 5 minutes from 1T8 Bulverde Airpark and hangar there.  Twin Oaks is a good ol' boy field and just really watched urban developement spring up around it.  Daylight VFR only is the only way one is able to land there.  For obvious reasons no night landings are allowed.

Third, I'd like to add to your list of potentials.  I'd like to offer Mackinac Island Airport (KMCD) on Mackinac Island, MI.  I'm originally from MI and this island is like no other.  No motorized vehicles are allowed (the only exception is the fire truck, and ambulance).  In the winter during the off season the police bring out their SUV to patrol the island but use it mainly to help the year round elderly residents to get  from the airport or the ferry docks to their homes.  The normal mode of transportation is horse drawn carriage, bicycle, or just walking.  In the winter, and after all the tourists have left, once the snow covers the ground out come the snowmobiles.  In the summer over 500 horse teams are on the island for carriage taxi's etc, and in the winter only 12 horses spend the winter out there.   

Mackinac Island is very unique and historic.  Founded in the 17 Century and was a crucial part of the Great Lakes Fur Trade industry.  Fort Mackinac was established and still stands today.  In the 1800's it became a popular summer colony.  Over the years the island underwent extensive historical preservation and restoration.  As a result the entire island is a National Historic Landmark.  World famous for the Grand Hotel and Mackinac Island Fudge.  Again it has a ban on nearly all motor vehicles.  More then 80% of the island is preserved as the Mackinac Island State Park and the airport is apart of the state park.

Contrary to belief Wikipedia is actually a pretty good source of info on this absolutely awesome airport and island colony.  My wife and I were married on the island and I've flown to the island privately many times and would be more then happy to provide extensive pictures of the island village and airport from the ground and in the air if you would consider doing this one.

Wiki's source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

Also, check out "Ice Bridge"

My good friend Brenda Horton writes a blog about life on Mackinac Island that has lots of pictures etc.  Her and her husband have a summer home on the island but also blog about the island in the winter when they are not there.  http://bree1972.wordpress.com/ 

The entire blog from when she started writing till now is archived if you want some good reading.

My email: berg319k9@yahoo.com  Shoot me a message if you're interested, I'd be happy to help in any way possible if you'd take this project on.

This would actually be a great full FTX Addon Airport if the Orbx God's would smile on it!

Hi Folks,

@Heliguy52 - I'll make note of KBTV, but not include it as part of this group.

@Till - Telluride will be part of this group but I'll hold off on Toronto Island Airport, I'll ask Chris Clack if he'd be interested it doing it.

@Matt - FA08, actually FSX calls it "Worlds Greatest Aircraft Collection" and they did some special work to make it look close, I'll see if I can do justice to it or at least put it in a more realistic setting. 

@Berg319k9 - I sure didn't expect anyone on this forum to have any knowledge of T94, I'm impressed. I'll add KMCD to my list also, you convinced me. 

I think that does it for now.  At some point Holger will be ready for me to get back to NCA so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

This group will be: FA08, KBIH, KMCD, KSEZ, KTEX,  T94

Cheers, Neil

You are awesome Neil!  If you need any pics of T94, let me know; I know I've got some.  Brook Hollow is the subdivision neighborhood that surrounds Twin Oaks.  It really is a cool airfield but makes for one sketchy landing then to top it off you're only 5nm north of KSAT.  I really appreciate you accepting KMCD as well.  Holler if you need any pics I've got lots of those.

Hi Berg...  

Thanks for the offer of photos but it would only be for helping me choose which object(s) from the ORBX library that will be closest to real life.  I'll remind everyone, the airports I do use objects from the ORBX libraries (that all of you have if you've bought any ORBX scenery).  I choose those I use to be as close as I can get to what I see in GE, Bing "Birds Eye View", internet photos, etc.

These are not high end freeware or payware airports that take at minimum weeks but generally months to do, they ARE however a reasonable representation of what is really there in location, layout, looks, etc.  Nothing I do cannot be duplicated by anyone with a very small investment and some perseverance, indeed one of the reasons I do this is to show that anyone can do them.  Would you like to do your "home" airport, there is nothing stopping you if you have a willingness to put in some effort.  If I can do these airports in a matter of hours (and I do) you can do yours also, it will just take awhile longer (at first).  I consider the release of "FTX Global" the most important FSX scenery yet because we finally have a sim that looks good enough to be worthy of even fixing up our home towns/airports.

But let me tell you, it becomes habit forming, don't say I didn't warn you!

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil - I would love to see Martin State improved a bit. It sits at the north end of the Chesapeake Bay and you come in over water and over a marina. Its code is KMTN. I'd also love KLWB (greenbrier/Lewisburg Virginia) and KRAP Rapid City would be cool. Rapid City is near mount Rushmore if I remember correctly.

Also, I keep hoping that Twisp and its nearby cousin would be offered as payware addons but in the meantime if it didn't take too long, maybe you could do those.

Those are my suggestions. Thanks for asking and offering.

Hi All,

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Kermit Week's airport is FA08 and it is located in conjunction with the Fantasy Of Flight Museum in Polk City, Florida. Be advised that a very nice FSX SP2 scenery of this airport already exists. It was done by Vassilios Dimoulas and is available at avsim (fantasy_of_flight_vd_v1_0.zip)

Stan V

@jpreou - KUAO was done as part of PNW, I won't redo it.

Excellent news :)

I won't ask you to then (again)  :D

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be buying each region as I get there (UK/Europe will be an expensive time!).

Cheers

I kind of like the idea of an 'out in the middle of nowhere' airport to be added. Bishop is a small town, out in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I think that would be cool, although unsure whether it fits in with you remit Neil.

Yup and I would suggest Las Cruces (NM) and Alamogordo, maybe someone sould also fix the White Sands area, I used to go play volley there ... what a beach!

Hi Folks,

While I'm waiting for my first set of FTX Global airports to be released (SoCal) I've started on another set.  I ran across a list I did some while ago of  "most exotic/interesting airports in the U.S.A". 

I've done T94, Twin Oaks Airport, an insignificant airport in San Antonio, TX. It's claim to fame is that it sit's right in the middle of a very large subdivision, I guess it didn't "sell out" so the developers just built around it.  You can't appreciate it's small size in FSX as they 1) misplaced it and 2) made the grass background way too large.  The challenge will be not only to land there but to find it in the first place.

Also I just finished KSEZ, Sedona, AZ.  It's unofficial title is "S.S. Sedona" as it sits on a hill overlooking the town and kind of looks like the top of a large aircraft carrier.  It evidently is quite a challenge to get into because of a cross winds coming up the hill, from any side.  Add some cross wind and give it a try.

So... any other airports of this variety (exotic/interesting) that come to mind?  So long as their not too big and located in the U.S. I'll see what I can do to about making at least some of them available.

Cheers, Neil

Here are some nice ones on the east coast:

12N: Small US Forestry service firefighting base (public). Short runway with lakes on both end. They do taildragger training out of it.

KMTP: Montauk... nice approach over the ocean/beach. You can camp out with your plane.

KBID, KACK, KMVY, KTGI: Northeast island airports.

KANP: Nice airport near the naval academy.

Hi all,

Hold onto these airport ICAO's, I'm maxed out for now.  I swapped KMTN, Martin State for FA08 since it has been done already.

@rockliffe - man what a bear Bishop was, 3 runways wasn't too bad and there aren't that many objects but trying to make it look realistic in the middle of the desert was interesting.  Most airports have a grass background, not Bishop, the best I could do was match the background sagebrush texture with a sagebrush free texture around the edges of the rwys/taxiways.

Cheers, Neil

(cough) Mountain Air, North Carolina (cough, cough)

:)

Hands down, Mountain Air

http://www.mountainaircc.com/

Would have to be my wish. Nobody has come close. It is so beautiful up there.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Mountain Air has already been done well by another well-known developer, but there are quite a few other interesting airports in the North Carolina mountains that could be done: NC14, 7A8, 0A7, 24A, etc.

May I ask who has done Mountain Air? All the freeware ones I have are just a flat top mountain that has one hangar on it. No trees and buildings and communities like the real thing. Not even close. I even have mesh for that area but it doesn't come to within 100nm like Orbx would.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Aerosoft did it as part of their "dangerous airports" pack (payware),  also has Barra in Scotland and another airport in Africa.   No crime to have more than one version available though.  Neil was looking for unique airports.  Understandably he's full up on requests now, so no big deal anyway.  look forward to whatever you've got for us Neil, thanks!

Hi Neil,

How about doing some of the larger VFR training airports around the country. FSX is a great learning tool and to have some of the airports used by some of the larger Flight Schools would be great for Simmers, and have a fantastic impact for the FSX community and be great assistance to FSX flyers wanting to move onto the real licence one day. Places such as Sporty's airfield at Clearmont County in Ohio, is just one i can think of.

Hi all,

Mountain Air is not on my list (because I was pretty sure it had been done before) but I need to remind you folks that my FTX Global airports, like FTX Gobal, won't include mesh.

@ Spacey - VFR training airports might be an interesting grouping.  Folks, if possible please include the ICAO for airports you suggest, Sporty's airfield didn't provide an ICAO when I looked it up at "OurAirports".  Checking further I found it's KI69, Clermont County Airport but it helps me if you provide it.

Thanks, Neil

At some point Holger will be ready for me to get back to NCA so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Cheers, Neil

When you do get back to NCA will you be taking suggestions of airports to pay specific attention to?  I ask as O61 Cameron Airpark would be a fun airport to see given the Orbx treatment.  Kind of like T94 its in a neighborhood.  The cool thing being you taxi off the runway and down the neighborhood streets to a home.

Hi Waterman,

I did add your special attention request for O61 to my special attention list for NCA.  Chris Clack is adding details to all the NCA airports, I'll pass this request on to him.

For all, here is my final list for my 2nd FTX Global group:

KMTN,  Martin State,

KBIH, Eastern Sierra Regional Airport,

KMCD,  Mackinac Island Airport,

KSEZ, Sedona Airport,

KTEX, Telluride Regional Airport,

T94,  Twin-Oaks Airport,

W48, Essex Skypark Airport (near KMTN, and ugly too leave be)

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

How about doing some of the larger VFR training airports around the country. FSX is a great learning tool and to have some of the airports used by some of the larger Flight Schools would be great for Simmers, and have a fantastic impact for the FSX community and be great assistance to FSX flyers wanting to move onto the real licence one day. Places such as Sporty's airfield at Clearmont County in Ohio, is just one i can think of.

+1

KDVT would be a nice addition, can't find a good rendition anywhere. It's only one of the busiest GA/Training airports in the nation.

I know "Lionheart" did a version for fs2004..

Hi Niel.

Im so, what to say, skyrocking in hence to Google Schetch. I know that the learningcurve for my age is huge, but i like it, and i am facinatet of the 

simplicity/logistic in/on the program.

Now you only nead GIMP, as i understant to convert the hole shebang for FSX/ORBX ??

My goal for now is to make "Odense Universitets Hospital, Denmark" . Its near by and a "easy" first trail.

HUXED.png

Lets say 10 hour to do this.(first timer).

I dont understant why You have to use, only ORBX LIB.??

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Sketchup has an issue that many texture fragments are generated with require many draw calls to fully construct the object in FSX, this makes a hit on FPS.  Todd Harrell and I have been discussing the use of Sketchup and he's looking into what's necessary to lower the texture issue.

As these airports will only be released through the ORBX website I don't want to use personal objects that won't show up unless I provide them.  I will however look into the possibility of using objects outside our library system if all necessary files are included with the airports and are free of distribution issues.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil.

You nail the main problem there...FPS vs. Details.. 

I can only say that im a newbe to this and there is a lot to learn . But actually  (sketchup) a TimeHawk and i love it,

WOW. I really have to be concistent and stop before another day is comming.

For my little project i think to do some/many photos of the hospital+arear

Cult You tell me witch is best: RAW or just plane JPG  ?? Does it matter ??

Henrik

'BTW. I dont think You will make something in Denmark. ::)

Archived