Working on another set of FTX Global airports

Neil Hill

Its OK Niel. I had hoped for a little quick shortcut here. 8)

I know that there is a lot Forums/sides who deal with this (if you can find them) .

And actually my plan is to do some Objects and not Sceneries for Odense, Denmark. so far.

But there is long way to that point. but every day i learn some new tricks, so maybe some day i can

do something for the community.

I am a bit addictet for the moment (Sketchup8), and not flying as mutch  as i schould :wacko:

So Niel...Count me in ...lets say ...next ..year ???

Kind regards

Henrik

It's actually very easy to convert Sketchup models to a format usable by FSX/P3D. The issue is you still have to have a good texture, whether it be a photo or something you create in Photoshop. Sketchup is easy. Creating quality, usable textures is not. A nice model with 8 texture sheets is just that - a nice model. It won't be very usable in the sim, though.

Todd

Thanks for KMTN.  I am looking forward to it.

Hi all,

Hold onto these airport ICAO's, I'm maxed out for now.  I swapped KMTN, Martin State for FA08 since it has been done already.

@rockliffe - man what a bear Bishop was, 3 runways wasn't too bad and there aren't that many objects but trying to make it look realistic in the middle of the desert was interesting.  Most airports have a grass background, not Bishop, the best I could do was match the background sagebrush texture with a sagebrush free texture around the edges of the rwys/taxiways.

Cheers, Neil

• 1 month later...

Here are some nice ones on the east coast:

12N: Small US Forestry service firefighting base (public). Short runway with lakes on both end. They do taildragger training out of it.

KMTP: Montauk... nice approach over the ocean/beach. You can camp out with your plane.

KBID, KACK, KMVY, KTGI: Northeast island airports.

KANP: Nice airport near the naval academy.

I'd like to a few requests:

KAVL - For those scenic Smokey Mountain gateway arrivals

KLKP - Lake Placid (an interesting arrival/approach in mountains)

KSLK - Saranac Lake (the big brother of KLKP)

KBHB - Bar Harbor Maine

KHIE - Mount Washington (one of tallest mountains on the east coast, 2nd after Mount Mitchell near KAVL)

First I want to thank you for all of the great work that you have given us.  Your airports are as good or better than many pre-Orbx payware airports.

I love the effort that you are taking to bring us many of the overlooked airports.

As I fly mostly floatplanes up and down the BC and Alaska Pacific coast anything you do in that area will be appreciated.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the great work. I have a few more suggestions for airports, since they're all turning out so amazing:

KUUU Newport State

KANP Lee (Annapolis)

KACK Nantucket 

KMTP Montauk

And it would be amazing to get Puerto Rico airports (except for TJSJ since there are some commercial offerings) covered (the top 4 would be the best):

TJCP (this is a heck of a place to get into)

TJVQ

TJIG

TJPS

TJAB

TJBQ

TJMZ

TJFA

And lastly in the nearby islands:

TISX (since there's nothing usable out there for it)

TUPW (not sure what can be done with it)

Utley, as a former resident of Colorado Springs, I have thought about KCOS as a freeware project. However, it's a big airport and would be a lot of work. More importantly, a new developer is currently working on a payware KCOS and is doing a very nice job so far. There are a couple of freeware versions available on AVSIM and Flightsim.com that you can check out in the meantime.

Cheers,

Todd

I'd love to see some airports in my area. The appalachians make for awesome VFR flying in east Tennessee.

how about:

KTRI - Tri-Cities Regional, there's not even a decent AFCAD for this airport. I work there could provide endless photos!

KVJI

K0A9

NC06 Banner Elk in the mountains has a VERY challenging runway to land

2NC0 Mountain Air another challenge

Hi Neil,

great to follow this post, and I surely would have some ideas - like all the others before. Kankakee, IL or Holland, Michigan would be some places I need to fly to...

However, I will try to get pictures of all small airfields I meet in the next time...

I would like to see 

Allison Ranch in Idaho at the Salmon River (N45° 33.95’ W115° 13.56’). The ID could/should be ID51 ?

It's a very dangerous airstrip for landings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JbjwVjkq4kg

https://www.google.de/images?hl=de&q=allison+ranch+idaho+airstrip&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=tX8cVM-sLMbZOZ2RgfAO&ved=0CB8QsAQ

I'd love to see some airports in my area. The appalachians make for awesome VFR flying in east Tennessee.

how about:

KTRI - Tri-Cities Regional, there's not even a decent AFCAD for this airport. I work there could provide endless photos!

KVJI

K0A9

NC06 Banner Elk in the mountains has a VERY challenging runway to land

2NC0 Mountain Air another challenge

There's a commercial 2NC0 that's available that's pretty good, and complements the free KAVL that's in one of the packs.

Archived