65S Some from me.

Something that has caught my attention is that the fields around the airport are being received as unrealistic because of the lines in the grass. While they may appear odd that is actually how the fields in the area appear around mid-summer. The imagery used at Bonners Ferry was sourced at the height of summer in June/July when the coloration is optimal for creating photoreal scenery. At this time of year the fields have also been mown several times leaving behind patterns in the grass. Other imagery either shows the fields recovering from winter or growing thick with grass before another mowing. 

If you look in Bing Maps you can actually see the same patterns although taken a couple summers later:

http://binged.it/120Mpum

In Google Maps the mowing pattern in the grass is very faint but still visible if you zoom in close enough.

I tried sharing this information at the AirDailyX news blog but my comments got caught in a filter somewhere along the way but I wanted users to know that the area around Bonners Ferry is very real to the time the imagery was sourced.

Regards,

Alex

P.S. we ran into a showstopper late in RTM-A so we are rolling again on RTM-B which should soar through testing :)

Damn -- really?  I had to read this twice Alex.  So it is not enough to just release some really excellent realistic looking scenery, you guys need to take an extra week to check the mowing patters in the fields during different times of the year?  OK I get that it has to match the sournding FTX region, during all 4-5 seasons (however many there are in FSX).   But wow - I mean, we all knew that you guys have a critical eye for minute details, but this just blows my mind.  I don't think I fully appreciated the level of detail until I read this.  Respect.

Damn -- really?  I had to read this twice Alex.  So it is not enough to just release some really excellent realistic looking scenery, you guys need to take an extra week to check the mowing patters in the fields during different times of the year?  Wow!  I mean, we all knew that you guys have a critical eye for minute details, but this just blows my mind.  I don't think I fully appreciated the level of detail until I read this.

Well the showstopper isn't in the fields, Jim wants to make sure that the ground poly is looking top notch before release. Some bugs were found and they have to be fixed up or else it would mean having a service pack very soon after release. 

Archived