My flying days are over

lthendrix

For a while at least .....  tonight as I was downloading the new gpu driver from nvidia I tried to also open my rex app

and bam bsod !...... on restart I tried to run fsx and it found no scenery ,and here is the weird part, when fsx had me choose abort ms flight tried to start without me doing anything . after that it bsod again and from then would not start. then I attempted to boot up a new install of the operating system and as soon as it had saved all my files and was halfway through install my computer began to try to start normally right in the middle of the new w7 install ??? after that I tried to install w7 again but now it says there is no drive to install on... I am flummoxed !  Just when everything was going great . I had Just landed at the great orbx Cardiff for my last flight so I hope that holds me over till things get sorted. I am already looking forward to continuing brushing up my radio nav skills in Orbx England, Wales. tomorrow the box goes to the doctor. and I begin to go into fs withdrawls !!!

I feel your pain. I don't think there is anything worse than a puter that is not cooperating. No FSX. hell that is serious. I hope you will be alright til you get the fresh install all done. Good luck with it all Loren.

That is crap news.......but a fresh install is always good. Happened to me and I found it quite enjoyable reinstalling everything. Chin up mate, I hope all goes well. You may be lucky and have a simple solution. Good luck Loren.

thanx all ,I know this type of thing is part of the "fun" of our hobby and I will use this time wisely to think about what fat to trim on the new re-install. As luck would have it work is between busy times today and I can leave at noon to get my sick baby tended to asap.  I reckon there is a conflict between my solid state cache drive and hard drive and hopefully it is just a matter of reformatting both drives in bios or something if that is possible and then installing the operating system fresh. fingers crossed and thanks again for the support!.

All the best to You Loren for getting Your sim fixed again!

Very good to read, that You may already have found the reason for Your troubles and a possible solution might therefore be around!

Sorry to hear that Loren. At first when I read the title of the post I was sad, 'cos I thought we were going to lose you. Now I know it will just be a matter of time before you get back up to speed. Good luck...

What a shame.

This reminds me of when I finally was able to save up enough pennies to buy Flight Simulator 95, and upon install, the entire computer crashed. Back then I knew little to nothing about computers, except how to use them, so the CPU went back to Radio Shack for 6 weeks before it finally came back!

The ultimate "fail" though, was after it returned, reformatted and "fixed", after I installed FS95 again, it did the same thing!

Not wanting to wait another 6+ weeks, I dove into fixing it myself.

You could say that FS is the reason that I've learned as much about computers as I do now, including building them, upgrading them and fixing the bad-builds in order to up my FPS or have the minimum system requirements for the newest version... ;)

back up and running !  my computer doc confirmed my suspicion . It was a blown ssd cache .  so he removed that cancer  and come to find out it does not affect my boot time hardly at all.   so far I have re installed ftx OZ with broome and rex essential and a few planes . That was  not so bad I and I was thinking about a fresh re install any how   funny how things happen like that.

thanx again for everyone's empathy and support. 

back up and running !  my computer doc confirmed my suspicion . It was a blown ssd cache .  so he removed that cancer  and come to find out it does not affect my boot time hardly at all.   so far I have re installed ftx OZ with broome and rex essential and a few planes . That was  not so bad I and I was thinking about a fresh re install any how   funny how things happen like that.

thanx again for everyone's empathy and support. 

:smile:

Hey Loren T. Hendrix.

Now its is time to secure and document/backup and planing where and what, you must do. ??? 

Good luck!

Henrik

Yes, Henrik excellent idea.     When I was using my previous computer (with WinXp) I had to reinstall the operating system and FSX many times.   For quite a while I would "reinvent the wheel" in trying to determine what to reinstall etc.   From that experience I set up a log where I write down all of the programs I install so that I can refer to that log when reinstall is needed.   I also wrote detailed instructions on what else is needed.    Fortunately, my new computer with Windows 7 has been very good and I've only had to reload the operating system once in a few years and never had to reinstall FSX - but I'm ready just in case.

Howard

Yeah Phil I know what you say..and I say some day... just being involved in the community has taught me more than I ever thought I would know about computers.. and as it is said the more one learns the less one knows.

as for a back up ... I wont bother ..from what I have read that if an incident like mine happens a freshhhhhhh install is the way  to go :lol:

Funny thing is that it doesn't have to break to force someone to reinstall everything. I just bought mine about six months ago. I was told that a SSD with 240 GIG would be plenty for FLTSIM, with sceneries and planes. But I tell you, with all the new add-ons, the more complex aircrafts, FTX Global and Genesis and REX, etc, this 240 GIG will very soon be loaded and a total new install will be needed on a new 500 Gig SSD. Who would have believed it that this would be the new standard to deal with in order to have high quality experience in simming! So here we are now.

Archived