Any Previews of Scotland yet?

joe d park

I hope that the Tain bombing range has a few static 'Targets ' scattered about , things like tanks , trucks , buses , etc.

It's only a short hop from Lossiemouth , I created a in panel flight plan editor that easily adds waypoints , then did a google search

for 'Latitude Longitude Tain Bombing Range ' and got two Lat/Long formats to enter as waypoints , then went to google earth ,

and zoomed in on a bomb crater and got it's Lat/Long for entry.

It would be nice to have random targets positioned there.

Cheers

Karol

PS: the FSX Free Flight entry for it ( from memory TAI1 ) is only a waypoint that is a couple of hundred feet out to sea , more for testing torpedoes than bombing , if you get very , very close to it a spire appears in the sea.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they do the same for West Freugh (EGOY) and Castle Kennedy down here in Wigtownshire in south west Scotland, the place is a hive of military activity with the bombing range and live firing range used by helicopters. Even had a couple of hercs land on the beach a few years back. Operation Joint Warrior is about to start soon so looking forward to doing a bit of spotting and with any luck they will do a full on airborne invasion of the airfield again this year with the Chinooks and hercs with apache support.

This is Tain Bombing Range .

In the left Pave Tack instrument are ground explosions and 2 more on the way.

Tain is the Lat/Long in Degrees to 4 decimal places in the right MFD , is also displayed on the radar.

In the left MFD you can see that Lossiemouth EGQS is 21.5nm behind the aircraft.

Cheers

Karol

Posted Image

It's the Alphasim ( Virtavia ) F-111 Aardvark which is now free.

That Panel is one that I have created progressively over several years , it's freeware ,

it's not an authentic panel , it's along the lines of a digital concept that attempts to

maximise functionality and capabilities , and still remain pilot friendly.

The version in the shot has not yet been uploaded as the Mission Adaptive Flight Plan

Editor and touch screen radar are very recent developments.

You can activate the radar screen as a touch screen , then with the mouse click anywhere

and get the distance , bearing , from your aircraft , as well as that points Lat/Long in 3 formats ,

( it's the little red dot on the radar screen ) , that nominated point Lat/Long then appears in the

Flight Plan Editor and can if desired be placed as a waypoint anywhere that you wish in a

flight plan.

It's a fun setup .

Cheers

Karol

Brings to mind a story of mine, In august 2011 my wife and I went for a 22 day coach tour around Britain and Ireland, we were 5 days in and up at Berriedale on the north coast of Scotland and were due to see the Castle of Mey, The castle was at the time occupied by Prince Charles and Camilla, so instead the tour director took us to the Berriedale Cemetery, to look out over the North sea and the gas rigs, and we would also have a taste of some real scotch whiskey and scotch finger biscuits, wisely my wife stayed back at the coach and a few of us climbed the steps up to the Cemetery, I was trying to get some good photos of the sea across the cemetery and tripped over on a grass covered fence, I was carried back down to the coach and the ambulance was called to care for the gash in my arm and the fact that I had turned a ghostly grey.

Meanwhile a land rover pulled into the turn out we were stopped in and two men came out carrying a huge first aid kit, and oxygen etc, they dressed my wounds and put me on oxygen until the Ambulance arrived, the medics were concerned as to who these men were carrying such first aid in their 4wd and were radioing ahead in case I took a turn for the worse due to the mysterious Oxygen carrying men.

As it turned out they were Prince Charles, personal body guard, the prince was fishing in a river below us.

I ended up with two cut arteries, four internal sutures for the arteries, 10 external sutures and a couple of butterfly stitches to help seal the wound.

I rejoined the tour for tea that night and spent the next three days with arm in sling and the laughing/talking point for the remainder of the tour.

So please can you include the Berriedale region for me, It holds special memories for me. LOL

Peter

Great story, doubt anyone can top that! I too am looking forward to Scotland. The other UK areas look very nice but this will be the first EU region I'm really looking forward to getting hands on

Ouch, that sounds painful! Hope it didn't spoil your trip to the UK too much :) I too am really looking forward to the Scotland scenery, it has by far the most dramatic landscapes in the UK what with the mountains, islands and an airport on the beach!

A beautiful Scottish memory. As a little boy, I tossed a penny, sometime a ha'penny even a farthing from the train window each time we crossed.

being a tru scotchman i couldnt imagine you crossing that bridge to often then.

Hi guys!  hope you keep going with your excellent work! Waiting Waiting....

I would like to see that the airfield feature on this package is Aberdeen (Dyce) Airport (EGPD), a regional airport ideal for ORBX features and tools. Is a small but busy place, plenty of regional flights, full of helicopters waiting for clearance for the Offshore oil& facilities! ;) BTW what about some oil&gas platforms, are they included?

Those POI look very nice!

Happy Happy days booked to enjoy this package!

Starting to wonder with the yesterdays announcement of the progress into FTX Global and the deathly silence of the topic of Scotland, that Scotland wont be a dedicated release but part of the FTX global package?

Was wondering too, our question has gone ignored which is unusual for Orbx. Someone asked about PAJN and was answered straight away. Might just skip it and go with global since its only a month away and funds are tight. You know, there are a few new aircraft about to be released too which will be perfect for a world tour.

Thanks JV , that is fantastic news.

Very much looking forward to it.

Have taken all necessary steps to prepare for it , have a unopened bottle of

" Dimple " for the ocassion.

Cheers

Karol

Great news, John.

I don't post very often, but I've looked in for news every day (well, ok, twice a day).

Scotland and Global will make a nice partnership to add to my Orbx collection!

Best, Jim

Scotland will come under "Europe", as does Wales, so no switching required when FTX Europe is active. I'm looking forwards to that release too, for pretty much the same reason you cited. I've got no idea when FTX Netherlands is due, but that four region bundle will keep me happy for a while! Oh, Ireland, I forgot Ireland! :D

Scotland will come under "Europe", as does Wales, so no switching required when FTX Europe is active. I'm looking forwards to that release too, for pretty much the same reason you cited. I've got no idea when FTX Netherlands is due, but that four region bundle will keep me happy for a while! Oh, Ireland, I forgot Ireland! :D

FTX Global will be out soon so you wont have to switch between regions at all, no matter where you fly.

Just done a NGX flight from Glasgow to Stornoway last night, 25kts gusting 36kts, RW 18, so most winds are right across the runway. Orbx DHM on overdrive, perfect down the middle, no stress, plenty claps from the sheep farmers in the cabin.  Windsock nearly torn off the pole...just another day in the Western Isles!

FTX Global will be out soon so you wont have to switch between regions at all, no matter where you fly.

I'm not entirely sure about that, yet.

"Right now when FTX Global is installed, it replaces the FSX Default and you switch to it using FTX Central. This means that until we solve technical issues around lclookup.bgl and other files, FTX Global is not seamlessly compatible with our FTX Central regions of North America, Oceania and Europe - however that is how it works right now in the alpha build but we will work very hard to remove the need to switch regions before release. If we can't solve that problem at the release, it will be done shortly after. It is in our interest, our customers' interest and other developers' interest to remove all incompatibilities but it's not a trivial task."

Hopefully the incompatibility issues will be addressed successfully. That's If the above quote is indeed saying that flying from England to Germany (for example) will necessitate switching regions in FTX central, and I haven't simply misinterpreted it.

Archived