Soaring Earnslaw ridge - image heavy

pilottj

Hey Guys, after painting the Discus and Pirat gliders, I wanted to take a real good soaring trip. I got Peter Luerkens Cumulus X!which is a great soaring utility that creates more accurate thermals and ridge lift. The weather and time of day for this area did not favor thermals, but there are plenty of mountains to ride off of :) Using the Discus BM for self launching and climb, I departed Glenorchy, climbed a little ways under power, then shut down, and rode the ridge wind up and down the west face of Mt. Earnslaw.

Note the altimeter readings in the VC shot....definate good ridge lift. The Discus Altimeter is read 'upside down' with 0 on the bottom. The first VC shot is under power, the next two are power off.

This trip was very enjoyable, looking foward to more now that I can really run the ridges 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

TJ

Nice shots. Don't you just love the ridge lift of CumulusX :) A friend and I were doing some gliding yesterday, testing his new Discus X. The ridge lift worked great.

New Zealand has such beautiful views, I need to go and buy North Island I think :)

Hey Adam,

I am using Opus in those screenshots. :) Today I flew from Glenorchy to Makarora using Opus, Accu-feelv2 and Cumulus X..all working together great. riding the slopes pretty much the whole way except for a little engine usage for launching and getting to the first slope. I am going to post a thread in the flight plan forum for NZ soaring.

Cheers

TJ

I am using Opus in those screenshots. :) Today I flew from Glenorchy to Makarora using Opus, Accu-feelv2 and Cumulus X..all working together great. riding the slopes pretty much the whole way except for a little engine usage for launching and getting to the first slope. I am going to post a thread in the flight plan forum for NZ soaring.

Now that's good news! Did you have to disable anything in OPUS or Accufeel? I usually turn a few of the turbulence related stuff in Accufeel OFF? Also - is the FSX turbulence option ticked, or UNticked.

I may just have to buy this CumulusX thang!

Adam.

I'm with Adam, it would really help me, and no doubt others, if you could post some settings you use, so we could try to get the best results.

I just bought ActiveSky 2012 over the weekend for the weather engine side of things. I have Rex Essential+ Overdrive for the graphics, and CumulusX for the thermals and Ridge Lift. But I'm flying blind (pardon the pun) when it comes to getting them all to work together.

Have you ever thought of doing any tutorials TJ? I want to get it all working perfectly for the Summer season in Wales and South England.

Hey Adam, I have been running Opus with full FSUIPC, Accu-Feelv2 stock turbulence settings, I have had no conflicts. You will just have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Tony, I am just an armchair FSX glider pilot with no real world soaring experience, so take my advice with a grain of salt lol :) All I can say is if you want lift, just be on the upwind side of the slope. Use the Discus PDA/GPS to see the wind direction in relation to the slopes, then navigate accordingly. This was a trip I took yesterday from Glenorchy to Makarora, the wind was from the S to SSW, you can see which sides of the slopes I flew.

Posted Image

Perhaps Derek would be the right one to explain it :)

I am creating a NZ Soaring guide thread for everyone in the Flight Plans forum...ie places to go, list of NZ glider repaints, technique question/discussion and so on..etc. Please feel free to add to it. O0

Cheers

TJ

Thanks TJ. I was actually talking about FSX settings, anything relevant in the weather setup, and stuff like that.

I would imagine it's pretty hard to do actual gliding tutorials anyway, as weather and stuff changes all the time. I'm pretty much okay with the basics on "How" to do it, and "What" to look for. It's just the settings, what to tick, or untick.

I forgot to mention I have Accufeel 2.0, so what you said about that helps, thanks. I was a bit worried it might conflict, so I turned it off. Now I know I can turn it back on, so thanks for that.

I "think" I've got everything working now, just need to do a bit more testing to make sure the thermals are working properly. Had a lot of problems with those just disappearing for no reason I could see. Something wrong with the weather update settings, hence the questions :) Think it's all sorted now.

Archived