SAK Southern Alaska - First screenshots! [Glaciers]

That's what I'm looking for since months ago. Hope it will be released very soon. SAK is my virtual home since FS9 and Holger's "Glacier Bay", because "bush-flying" is for me the "non plus ultra".

Posted Image

The screenshots looks very, very good. Nice work, Tim.

Hope Juneau, Haines, Skagway and so on will be contents of the scenery when ready. ;-)

I've been waiting for this scenery for about five years, LOL looks amazing.

@tdavart this is a region, and should work fine with AI, I assume you're drawing parallels with PAKT maybe? that only has no AI because FSX can't deal with the sloping taxiways, not the case elsewhere.

If requests are still being taken for screenies: Juneau, Gustavus, and the Haines/Skagway region, as well as the Seward area

Skagway has some special bits, it should be in the previews soon. The area around PAJN may be in the cards for tonight, along with Hoonah.

These look great up high like this. How about some from down low. How's the photo real process look down there on top of these icefields?

Hi Brad,

The Glaciers are made up from a few different sources, mostly 10m satellite, and 2m airphoto, the lower resolution areas have a glacial texture applied to provide some detail at close range, and also to prevent washout, this technique (engineered by Holger) can be seen in action already in PNW, NRM and NZSI (Mt Cook glacier)

Cheers

Tim

I just realised this was in development and I'm delighted... one of my favorite regions on Earth. I live in Dorset, UK, but I've spend a lot of time on the ground and in the air in SE Alaska! I kinda wish I could have been involved in the development myself... I'm a geographer and glaciologist and I spend my days working with aerial photography, satellite imagery and especially DEM of this area. I've even had NASA missions flown over there to create the highest resolution DEM available for some of the glaciers.

Andy

Hi Andy,

as a fellow geographer I'm always keen to chat with others in my field, especially if they have local expertise, not to mention data. Feel free to PM me and we can take it from there.

The glaciers are in fact one of the reasons for the long delay in completing this project. It's absolutely astounding how rapidly most of them are receding. And it's not just the front end (terminus) but the entire ice volume meaning the elevation data across the glaciers and icefields, which in most cases are decades old, are often off by several hundred vertical feet, obviously leading to mismatches between the terrain mesh and the placement of the photoreal glaciers. That required serious digging for more recent data (partially successful) and many local adjustments. It's by far the most complex terrain mesh I've worked on and at this point contains over 100 sections of carefully blended segments.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger - I also have a degree in cartography so I have an interest into how the earth is depicted in FSX. My question is that I have UTX Canada and Alaska installed. Will the ORBX scenery be compatible or do I need to uninstall these?

Regards

jja

Hi Andy,

as a fellow geographer I'm always keen to chat with others in my field, especially if they have local expertise, not to mention data. Feel free to PM me and we can take it from there.

The glaciers are in fact one of the reasons for the long delay in completing this project. It's absolutely astounding how rapidly most of them are receding. And it's not just the front end (terminus) but the entire ice volume meaning the elevation data across the glaciers and icefields, which in most cases are decades old, are often off by several hundred vertical feet, obviously leading to mismatches between the terrain mesh and the placement of the photoreal glaciers. That required serious digging for more recent data (partially successful) and many local adjustments. It's by far the most complex terrain mesh I've worked on and at this point contains over 100 sections of carefully blended segments.

Cheers, Holger

Dear Holger,

Your hard efforts are much appreciated! Take your time!

Great work!

Beste Grüße, Till

Hi jja,

no need to uninstall any of those products as they will continue to show as before outside the SAK boundaries, just like with our other North American regions; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/17121-ultimate-terrain-x-usacanada-and-ultimate-alaska-x-compatibility-with-ftx-pnw-pfj-and-nrm/

We may need provide instructions for manually deactivating certain UTX nightlight files since they cannot be automatically excluded. Other than that compatibility should be 100%. Same for third-party landclass and mesh add-ons.

Cheers, Holger

Archived