Switched to FEX

Adam Banks

I've been an REX user for a fair few years now - and have enjoyed the essentials + OD upgrades, but have always been a little bit bothered about the way REX constructs its cumulus. It seems to get things slightly "backwards" - with clouds being transparent in the middle, but solid around the edges. I defected to the FEX (Flight Environment X) camp because I think it gives you better control of both transparency and edge sharpness (top or bottom of the clouds). I find it altogether more configurable - and, ultimately, a little more "real".

So ... here are some FEX shots (over New Zealand/summer) - some subtle, some dramatic - but (I think) just that little bit more realistic ....

Dave Garwood's excellent Mossie over Ardmore (where we currently have a real one flying regularly!!):

Posted Image

Subtle tones over Taranaki:

Posted Image

We can have a bit of drama as well:

Posted Image

Posted Image

... or clear(ish) skies ... that isn't anti-aliasing gone wrong, BTW - it's the ribbing of the wings (!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Evening tones seem less "cheesy":

Posted Image

Compare the above with a couple of REX shots (UK in winter). Dramatic - certainly - but real???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Incidentally - I'm still using REX for the runway textures (plus sun and lighting). Real weather is provided (in both cases) by the excellent OPUS :-)

Adam.

I genuinely like/prefer the clouds in FEX - and, to be honest, there was something about the way the last REXE/OD upgrade was handled that put me right off (without resurrecting all that). FEX gives me a different feeling altogether. However - for really informative and friendly support, you can't beat OPUS.

@rosariomanzo =- it's not really a "fair" comparison, as I (purposely) chose some rather over-dramatic scenes in the REX shots - purely to illustrate the hard edges etc. REX is certainly capable of producing more realistic/subtle weather than that - but still not quite as "natural" as FEX, IMHO ;)

Great shots - and an interesting comparison. I'm still trying all kinds of REX variations myself. If you want to experience each and every of the possible cloud and sky texture combinations you have tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of variations... And by changing the thickness of the layers you get another almost countless amount of results. Sometimes the results are rubbish - and sometimes the right combination of sky theme, time of day and different cloud textures can lead to jawdropping effects. I'm not giving up yet, but FEX looks interesting ;)

Cheers

Mallard

Archived