Oh No! FSX crashed!

petehowell57

Hi guys,

I have been running FSX very successfully for a long time now, adding aircraft, scenery weather progs with no problems at all (yes I've been lucky so far!), but now my luck has run out!

Two days ago I was comparing Opus (which I love) with the new REXE +. I have done these comparisons many times before. I set off on a general flight across France (just as a change from ORBX) and the pc suddenly froze. Now it has happened before, so I usually can simply restart FSX.

This time however, I get as far as the main menu screen (rotating plane), press "Fly" and get a white dialogue box with the desktop as background, and in a few seconds the dreaded words "a fatal error has occured".

I know there are dozens of posts concerning this all over the web, but I just wondered if it sounded familiar and if so if someone could offer a suggestion or point me in the right direction.

I don't really want to start all over again. If it's necessary I might be tempted with P3D ( I got a copy waiting to be installed), but FSX was doing so well I avoided temptation lol.

many thanks in anticipation

Pete

an option would be to "restore" fsX,

if you have the Acceleration pack then proceed as follows:

set FTX Central to default

insert the Acceleration disc

when the menu comes up select the "repair" option

let it finish it's thing

restart fsX for a checkride

take into account that all REX and or other addon textures will be gone and all is back to default fsX

when switching FTX central to a region all will be as should

Hi Wolter

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I had thought of trying that, so will certainly give it a go. Unfortunately I'm at work now so gotta wait a few hours!

In case it doesn't do the job and sorry to change tack slightly, very briefly, what's the latest feeling about P3D now it's been around for a while.. Just a few brief words will do as I will probably stick with FSX at the moment if I can get it going again.

Hi John.

Just got your reply as I was typing this. You answered my new question too lol. I have read many comments you have made regarding Opus and I totally agree. Great program. It compliments ORBX so well

Pete

For what it is worth when FSX freezes for me I unload everything else that is running e.g. REX, Super Traffic Board, IE etc. and wait for FSX to resume transmission. Usually takes a couple of minutes but to date (touch wood) it has done it without fail. having said this it will most likely not work next time - so pretend I never mentioned it. ::)

When my FSX started doing this I finally bit the bullet (after a lot of cursing and swearing at Microsoft) and went for P3D. I've had one or two crashes but that was mostly down to initial setup issues, there are one or two little quirks but I'm glad I went P3D,

Simon

Thanks for all your replies. I tried repairing with acceleration aka Wolter's suggestion but still no go. I'm not too bothered about the freezes as I don't do much long distance and they happen only rarely. Anyone got any other ideas before I have to decide between

reinstalling fsx or going to p3d. And ORBX UK is on the way! So I gotta get something working lol.

Pete

Wolter would it be worth trying to reinstall from the main fsx disk rather than acceleration. Would that mess things up too much? It's weird. I can get onto the main menu screen and change planes, settings etc but it just won't let me "fly"

I think you need to un install service pack 2 before you can use the repair feature on the original disk.

fsx is a old programm and seems to be dependent on exhausting alot of video memory,when fatal errors accur it is normal related to settings being to high,when i first got my first gaming rig,it worked flawless with fsx,now its getting older and more fatal error are happenning,mostly after i updated too rex ess +,i found my texture max load setting was one of the causes,4096 was to much,i reducted it to 1024,and along with my L.O.D radius in my fsx cfg file,reduced it to 3.5,im not saying it will work for others here,tho fatal error are caused by fsx being stressed and being a old and out dated programm there not alot we can do,my recommendations to you peter before you do a reinstall,try playing with you fsx of graphic card settings first,you got nothin to lose,best of luck mate! :)

OK so no success with repairing, altering graphic settings or anything else. FSX is dead!!

So now the big decision, reinstall FSX which despite it's foibles is still a great program with ORBX, Opus and countless wonderful addons from talented developers, OR bite the bullet and try P3D? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for everyone's contributions above. Looks like I got a busy weekend ahead - and with the possibility of ORBX UK too!

pete

What are the faulting files causing the crashes?

Run event viewer after each crash and it will show you what files are causing the crashes. If it's api.dll then its most likely running OOM.

Just my 2 cents and there may be a few on here that could offer advice from there.

Also post in the avsim CTD forum - Jim there is extremely helpful.

Jas

Hi guys,

I have been running FSX very successfully for a long time now, adding aircraft, scenery weather progs with no problems at all (yes I've been lucky so far!), but now my luck has run out!

Two days ago I was comparing Opus (which I love) with the new REXE +. I have done these comparisons many times before. I set off on a general flight across France (just as a change from ORBX) and the pc suddenly froze. Now it has happened before, so I usually can simply restart FSX.

This time however, I get as far as the main menu screen (rotating plane), press "Fly" and get a white dialogue box with the desktop as background, and in a few seconds the dreaded words "a fatal error has occured".

I know there are dozens of posts concerning this all over the web, but I just wondered if it sounded familiar and if so if someone could offer a suggestion or point me in the right direction.

I don't really want to start all over again. If it's necessary I might be tempted with P3D ( I got a copy waiting to be installed), but FSX was doing so well I avoided temptation lol.

many thanks in anticipation

Pete

I make every week a complete image from my whole system with Acronis True Image, and if there is a big problem, like you have, I only have to put back the image and every thing runs again without installing my complete FSX.

You all know how important it is to back up, but there are so many people who don't back up.

Peter

Peter

Unfortunately I am one of those people who don't routinely backup. I think I have really killed fsx by trying to repair it. Perhaps it's not a bad thing as I really could do with slimming down my sim. I need to think carefully about where I want to fly rather just load lots of scenery. Same with aircraft. Probably will stick with fsx for now and see how it goes in it's slimmed down state. Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Pete

Hi folks,

As indicated above, I decided to start again but this time only installing sceneries and aircraft I am likely to use most of the time. Of course this will include all the ORBX products (!) and very soon the new UK.

Still a little undecided about P3D. I'm sure a "detox" of my flight sim won't be a bad thing.

Thank you all for your advice above which I will take on board for the future.

Although this topic has reached a conclusion, any thoughts about P3D over the next couple of days would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Pete

Archived