When it's not your time to die.

Hank

Yes complete and utter fabrication!

If you think about it, the left wing would still be producing lift so the aircraft would roll (quite violently) to the right without the right wing to counterbalance that lift! No amount of aileron control would counterbalance a missing wing. Flying straight and level either upright or inverted would be impossible!

Be it an RC or real aircraft it would not fly! It is impossible. Another consideration is the torque reaction of the engine rolling the aircraft.

Thank God for a powerful engine. That was very cool by the pilot.

The torque reaction of a powerful engine would only exacerbate the instability!

Just goes to show what can be produced these days.... was the moon landing real then????

I hate it when they do things to trick "old pensioners" minds... it's bad enough I'm losing it

bit by bit every day, without making me look like an idiot. I thought it was real !!

But I'm now a Taswegian.... things are going to get worse!

Be it an RC or real aircraft it would not fly! It is impossible. Another consideration is the torque reaction of the engine rolling the aircraft.

Since most RCs have so much engline-power in relation to their light weights it can be done with RCs. There are even RC-Objects flying without any wing, eg. lawn mawers.

Re. torque, it depends which wing is missing, right or left.

Cheers Wolfgang

Not only is it possible, it's common. It's called 3D flying in the RC aircraft world. RC aircraft have come a long way in recent years and it is common to have power to weight ratio's that excede 1:1 - ie, the engine+prop can lift more than the weight of the aircraft. Torque is cancelled out by using the rudder and elevator, which are quite effective with propwash running over them. Here an example...

Cheers,

Derek

But it's not impossible to land with only one wing: A F15 of the Isreal Airforce lost a wing and the pilot was able to land it ;)

That's a different story with the F-15 as the wing root was still there, the stabilizing and lift producing shape of the fuselage bottom helped and of course a lot of speed.

The main (aerodynamic) error in the fake 'aerobatic' video is that she spins into the wrong direction!!!

Planes spin because the outboard wing creates lift and the inboard one doesn't, hence causing an autorotation. So the spin you are seeing in this video would be really physically impossible!

Archived