Computerpilot Magazine

Bassman

Anybody else received their invoice requiring payment within 14 days for a service that has not been provided?

The previous owner used to "invite" a subscription in a friendly reminder fashion whereas the new owner seems to be taking a more "demanding" way to renew a subscription

which to me is a put off and therefore I won't be renewing a subscription to this particular magazine.

From an English point of view the wording is a bit confronting, although may be just "official" language.

Greetings,

I haven't seen this yet, nor my subscription either. Something to remember is that English isn't the "mother tongue" for these folks and mis-translations abound; take a look at some of the Aerosoft manuals... :blink:

As an "American English" speaker that has travelled, courtesy of the U.S. military, extensively throughout the European and Near East areas, I have committed my share of linguistical blunders - technically or grammatically correct, but "NOT the way we say it."

Respectfully,

Brian Richmond

Yes I agree, which I why I qualified my observation by acknowleging that the language used may only be "official".

Some cultures are just naturally more direct than others and we must respect all cultures for their individual values.

Still the fact remains that the new owners have "requested" payment within 14 days for a service that has not been provided.

That is unacceptable in any language, culture or society.

Not only that - they haven't delivered (yet) on the final copy of my last subscription.

I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

Also, given the magazine is printed in English for presumably an English speaking audience it doesn't take much to be professional enough to have a correctly worded 'invitation' rather than a demand.

Hi guys, anybody that wishes to reply, please do not make any reference to abilities to speak english as that takes my post off subject and opens up all sorts of comments that I do not want to see in my post. :) .

The subject of this post is about the request for payment within 14 days without supplying the service.

Too bad to hear! I have been a faithful buyer of CP mag for about 7 yrs. I aquire my issues from my local aviation toy store. And that is also the main reason to drive an hour +~- to see my local group of aviation nuts and do some hangar flying!

Yes i recieved one and sent them an email they sent my a very nice reply from Pamela she explained this was in error and generated from a company they employed but have now told to stop sending these invoices out to customers it has caused the magazine one big headache to say the least with the customer base, as you can imagine with the magazine starting afresh all the customer details have been updated and from what she said she will get to the bottom of this as soon as she can.

cheers

Iain

All, I read previously that the issue of the non delivery of the last paper edition in the prior subscrition period would be a matter for the prior owners. As to the new owners, am I correct in understanding that they simply seek the payment of a renewed subscription, and which is referred to as a request to 'pay an invoice for fees for delivery'. If so, this seems to me as a request to take out a subscription, and which will be fulfilled upon payment, in much the same as any other contract for magazine subscription.

In any event, I think I will give it a go, noting that I enjoyed the mag previously including the reviews of ORBX products, as appeared from time to time.

I am sad to say i got the same email when i questioned it i did not get the polite answer Iain got so i just pollitoly said cancell my sub.sad action as was a good mag.now i will be just getting the english mag P C pilot well thats my 2 bobs worth. enough said.

In reference to all this ..I too received an email asking for cash to be deposited into an European bank which I thought was a scam . I have only ever taken one subscription out and thought it to be of little value to me . As Iain has noted - this email was sent out by another company employed by the magazine , needless to say there services are no longer required.

I have full confidence in the magazine now . It has changed hands and will go through a bit of a time whilst transfering and re-arranging things but I think it should all come together ok. Some of the proposed articles would make a very interesting read so I think I will subscribe . My question about it is ..there doesn't seem to be a d/l only option.

Looks like CP had trouble a long time now. Wasn't they bought up by the comapny that makes the German eqvialent magazine? And with Mr. Dumas as editor? I used to subscribe to CP, but I'm all PCPilot now and just happy with that.

Yes, I fell for the Subscription renewal with CP. Two Year renewal of which I received one copy before the magazines demise. Not heard from the new proprietors yet. Can't really expect them to honour the original subscription, so I shall in all probability stay with PCP. Been an avid reader from day one, simply because it was UK based.

I used to buy both PCPilot and ComputerPilot, but stopped buying CP some years ago as it seemed to have disproportionate amount of ads in it and (in my opinion) the journalism and layout wasn't up to PCPilot standards.

Just got a very polite and contrite response from Pamela which goes to great length to apologise and explain the circumstances which I accept.

However won't being renewing my subscription until they have matters sorted out..then I will be happy to renew.

She has stated that all previous owner subscriptions will be honoured up to a maximum of 18 issues..so we shall see how that goes.

By the way, when you look at the cost of like magazines in shops, $40 for 6 issues isactually not that expensive (in Australia anyway).

I got the German email, too and thought it might have been a scam so I phoned Dean from PCAviator Australia and he assurred me it was okay, but to ignore it and go straight to Computer Pilot's website and pay them (as I have three issues left to go on current subscription - as informed by Dean - I will wait a while). It seemed to me they were looking for 'start-up' funds, which I can understand but if that is the case I would have thought that would have already been in place.

Anyway - Computer Pilot is the one to pay.

John G

Well, like Dogtrack I bought a subscription and only received one magazine so there's no way I'm subscribing to either of them again.

If they can't put them in the newsagents for sale over the counter, I'm going without.

Once bitten, twice shy as they say.

John

• 2 years later...

Okay, so I received a 'newsletter' from Computer Pilot, went to their website and it appears they are again taking subscriptions. Also have pictures of magazine covers and some access to online content.

I tried sending a message asking about my unfulfilled subscription. Emailing their address direct ( service@computerpilot.com ) bounces and filling in the online form only seems to send an email to yourself, not very useful!

Anyone else had any success?

I lost money on my sub with CP a couple years ago, couldn't even get an E-MaiI response to the status of my sub with them after sending them a couple of reminders. I finally decided I didn't really care what their problem was but that it would no longer be my problem.

PCP is a quality publication and I look forward to it every other month. The only thing I miss from CP is Doug Horton's articles.

I am a confirmed PC Pilot customer of many years standing so have no axe to grind, it seems to me that computor pilot magazine had a lot of problems in the past, from reading this topic it seems the new owners are being punished for the failings of the previous company. If that is the case maybe the fair thing to do is cut them some slack and at least give them a chance to address the issues.

regards Reg

A shame really because Computer Pilot was in fact a very good magazine however unfortunately obviously a low circulation under the original owner.

I  also got the invoice from the new owner some years ago and of course ignored it and I too have just received a news letter last week which I have also ignored.

I would have to say that there is no life left in that magazine no matter who the owner is or becomes. Best to buy PCP if you have to buy a magazine.

Archived