Another idea for a cockpit

tuisong

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Roger, you you tell me the area, foot print, that the cockpit occupies, thanks

Hi Talbot, I am very sorry to have taken so long to reply. I did write a post with your answer. However, must have forgotten to click the 'Post' button. :-X ( I'm getting on in years, but that is a truly bad sign ^-^ )

It is 1.900m front to back.................1.520m wide...........and 1.950 from the floor of the garage top the top.

Once again my apologies.

• 1 month later...

Hi there Tony,

I got it from Will Best (Electronics) Ltd

Unit 3-5 block B

Kong Nam Industrial Building,

603-609 Castle Peak Road,

Tsuen Wan,

N.T.

Hong Kong.

E-mail cs@maxflightstick.com

I also bought a cyclic the total price including shipping was USD$890.

I had problems assigning functions to the collective to start with, but it worked well once that was sorted and Max was very helpful. However, I now have it disconnected as it started to interfere with FSX, it seems to send rapid signals when not in use. As for the cyclic I do not use that at all as I have found you have to use too bigger a movement to get any response. Which is just no good for helicopters. And as I hardly fly them at all I have not taken the time to try and sort things out. Maybe one day. Also they are out of guarantee, though I'm sure Max would still be helpful.

Hope I've been of some help.

• 10 months later...

I am not only impressed by the cockpit, but...wow! Do you have a great wife, or what..... :-)....speaking of which....you may have seen this before, but it always tends to make me laugh....

Note from a Pilots Wife   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darling, 

I'm posting this message in your newsgroup, as I know 

this is the only way to get it to you since flight 

simulation entered our lives two years ago. 

The children are doing well. Our son is seven now and 

is a bright handsome boy. He has developed quite a 

flair for art. He drew a family portrait for a school 

project. All the figures were good, but yours was 

excellent. The computer, the model airplane, the 

chair, and the back of your head are rendered in 

detail and stunning accuracy. You would be very proud 

of him. 

As you'll recall, our precious little girl turned 

three in September. She still remembers that you spent 

the whole day with her on her birthday. What quality 

time it was for her when you allowed her to watch you 

recreate Amelia Earhart's last flight! She was so 

sorry that she crashed before your plane did, but she 

was *so* sleepy. Poor thing. When she asked how come 

Daddy's TV only had a grey picture, I told her you 

were staring at fog. Was I right? 

I'm also doing well. I went blonde about a year ago, 

and was delighted to learn that blondes really do have 

more fun. 

Lars, I mean Mr. Swenson the department head, has 

taken an interest in my career and has become a good 

friend to all of us. 

The house is in good shape. I had the living room 

painted last Spring. I'm not sure if you noticed it. I 

made the painters cut air holes in the drop cloths so 

you wouldn't be disturbed. They were very apologetic 

about splattering your charts. 

I've discovered that the household chores are much 

easier since you allow me to vacuum around you instead 

of using the feather duster that makes you sneeze and 

streaks your goggles. 

I will be at the ski lodge this weekend with Lars and 

the kids. Don't worry darling, we have seperate 

bedrooms. He is very well aware that I am married. 

I'll try to call you. If the line is busy, I'll know 

that you are connected by modem to your flight 

instructor who is demonstrating advanced manuevers. (I 

still can't believe that he's only thirteen. His 

parents must be very proud of him.) 

The housekeeper has been instructed to keep your 

coffeee cup filled and to give you a fresh straw every 

three hours.Just let her know when you're getting 

hungry, and she'll give you some frozen pizza to suck 

on. 

Good luck circumnavigating the world via the poles. 

Should be a fun weekend! See you Sunday night! 

Fondly, 

Carol (your wife) 

Oh my god, this is complete madness! Well done, unfortunately for me this would not pass the "planning commission" nor the "zoning commission". Thanks for posting, the stuff that dreams are made of

It's great to see Roger's post re-emerge.

It's getting on, now. He's had all that time, flying his little heart out.....lucky guy!

Has there been any more to tell us Rog, or is it just all plain sailing, nowadays?

Frank

Roger,

With your cyclic, you can adjust the movement ratio inside FSX in the configure screen.  I have a full size collective that I made out of some PVC tubing and an old top gun joysitck and all I did was recalibrate the amount of movement in the stick so the larger area of motion is reduced so you get the response you should from a real cyclic.

Roger,

With your cyclic, you can adjust the movement ratio inside FSX in the configure screen. I have a full size collective that I made out of some PVC tubing and an old top gun joysitck and all I did was recalibrate the amount of movement in the stick so the larger area of motion is reduced so you get the response you should from a real cyclic.

Thank you Ryan, I didn't even think of doing that. I will give it a try for sure.

Let me know if you need any help, I have done my share of programming commercial helicopter simulators so should be able to get you squared away.

That's very kind of you Ryan. I have a funny feeling that I will be taking you up on your offer.

• 1 month later...

It's great to see Roger's post re-emerge.

It's getting on, now. He's had all that time, flying his little heart out.....lucky guy!

Has there been any more to tell us Rog, or is it just all plain sailing, nowadays?

Frank

Sorry it has taken so long to reply Frank, I hope you don't think me too rude. Time is just going so fast these days, and I have spent more time trying to get the information on the NZSI strips into a form which would be accepted by the forum (file wise) than flying.

But, to answer your question, the only problem is FSX itself. My South Island flight involved well over 400 landings and more than a few overruns and crashes. Some strips took a number of attempts to get right and even a change of aeroplane. I have enjoyed myself though and the short flights have allowed me to grab some time in between other things. I'm now getting ready for the North Island.

• 1 month later...

earliest I remember was the Commodore 64 version.. I thought that was amazing!

we have come a long ways, but I think we have a loooong ways to go yet.

Would love to see a live online world.. where players can do trucking/bus simulators as well as train sim and ship sim and flight sim, all in one cohesive world.. I think that would be fun.

I would love to see snow pile and then melt, turn into mud, in real time.. Don't know if I'll get to see something like that in the next 50 yrs or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I must say, this is a very interesting and helpful read.  I have a space in my basement I have been thinking hard about making into a sim room only.   How well does that 42 inch television work as a monitor?   Whats the difference between an HDTV and a monitor anyway?     I have a 24 inch monitor, but would go bigger if possible to just buy a TV to do it.

I must say, this is a very interesting and helpful read.  I have a space in my basement I have been thinking hard about making into a sim room only.   How well does that 42 inch television work as a monitor?   Whats the difference between an HDTV and a monitor anyway?     I have a 24 inch monitor, but would go bigger if possible to just buy a TV to do it.

There is no practical difference between an HDTV and a monitor. That's the problem - you have the same number of dots but they're bigger or spread out wider. So it'll work but it won't look as nice unless you sit further away from it. It will be a compromise, in other words.

As Mark said, there is no real difference (except for the important one of price :) ). I have to disagree with him in regard to having to sit further away though. From the research I did before I built the cockpit, 42 inches appears to be the biggest for the best effect. (Or was at the time) As you can see mine is quite close and gives a great feeling of immersion. And not the slightest hint of seeing individual (physical) pixels on the screen. Of course pixelation produced by the programme is another thing.

There is no practical difference between an HDTV and a monitor. That's the problem - you have the same number of dots but they're bigger or spread out wider. So it'll work but it won't look as nice unless you sit further away from it. It will be a compromise, in other words.

Well after I wrote the last post I went for a fly. And taking Mark's remarks on board, had a hard look at the screen. I have to say, that I can indeed see the individual pixels. So, even though they are extremely small and not noticeable unless you are looking for them, I have to apologize. I should have checked first. :( Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

What a Great effort and setup Mate well done ;-) I purchased the plans from Sim Samurai and have just completed it for my sim pit it took me quite some time to do but it's worth the effort to be able to sit in my box and fly, I just have to get a couple of seats from an aircraft and put some extractor fans in because as you say it get's pretty warm with everything on.

Once again Mate great job ^-^

What a Great effort and setup Mate well done ;-) I purchased the plans from Sim Samurai and have just completed it for my sim pit it took me quite some time to do but it's worth the effort to be able to sit in my box and fly, I just have to get a couple of seats from an aircraft and put some extractor fans in because as you say it get's pretty warm with everything on.

Once again Mate great job ^-^

Thanks Ticker7. 

Have you thought about second hand car seats? Probably cheaper and more comfortable than the real thing. :)

Or you could have a look at the seats I have just bought from pagnian imports. I'm modifying mine (because they are a bit too carish for my liking), but they are a really cheap alternative and come with a base and full harness as well.

More details on my thread,

Frank

Or you could have a look at the seats I have just bought from pagnian imports. I'm modifying mine (because they are a bit too carish for my liking), but they are a really cheap alternative and come with a base and full harness as well.More details on my thread,Frank

Your seats look great and will look even better when you have finished them Frank. And with all the time, trouble and money your cockpit has cost you, you want the best. Following your build has really turned me a pretty shade of green. :) But I guess if you are like me, you can't beat near new car seats at $50 each for value. Especially if it's for GA flying.

• 6 months later...

I thought I would post a few photos of some minor modifications to my setup. The first two are of a removable panel to allow much easier removal of the PC. When I built the cockpit I thought that once it was in it would rarely have to be move. Yes, I am too old to be that naive   :banghead:. Another mistake I made was with the offset door which does not line up with the gap between the seats. If I had put the narrow panel on the other side it would have been perfect and a breeze to get in.

G6hCZ.jpg

JkwjY.jpg

I also painted the inside mat black to remove any distractions in my peripheral vision. I stole that idea from some of you. Thanks. And made a black curtain to hid any books etc. on the shelf.

3WNpd.jpg

This last one is just bling. There is a 1.3 meter copy of the crest on the front too. Though the more I look at them the more I wish I had put more thought into the design. Never mind I'm stuck   :blink: with them now. Another thing some of you may have noticed is that I have changed the registration to ZK-KTY. The thinking was that dad always called mum Katie.

OGu89.jpg

I have a friend who suffers from Parkinson's disease and likes to use the simulator from time to time. And with the IR tracker turned off he makes a pretty good job of it. A big problem though is he was having a hard job getting in and even harder getting out. So I have put in a removable hand rail, it's not very elegant but does the job. (After all, if he can't get out, I would never get a turn.   :) )

xFqm.jpg

Very nice work Tuisong!!

I have been reading your posts quite a bit.. as well as franks.

I also thought of buying a jetmax 737 set up but realized for me it was

keeping me to just one plane, and I like to fly a few things, 

like the grand caravan 208b's, DC3 etc..

I have a back room which we have been renovating over the last few months.

just have the inside to finish off now..

and thought it would make  a perfect flight sim pit.. (actually got more uses for it) 

and had thoutht of Tuisong's set up for inspiration!!

I have a sony bravia  46 inch hd led lcd (was my dads before he passed away recently)

any way looking at Tuisongs set up, can i have one 46 as forward/cocpit view, and maybe a 46 on either side for

side views?

I'm hoping soon to buy a dedicated fsx/p3d system set up..  

I figure now I can get right back into fsx ,again.. and hope that I haven't bugged any one recently ,

things have been pretty rough for me but I think I'm slowely coming good again..

thanks again guys.. 

• 2 weeks later...

from a disabled person I really appreciate your efforts   nice job!

Very nice work Tuisong!!

I have a sony bravia  46 inch hd led lcd (was my dads before he passed away recently)

any way looking at Tuisongs set up, can i have one 46 as forward/cocpit view, and maybe a 46 on either side for

side views?

I'm hoping soon to buy a dedicated fsx/p3d system set up..  

Hi Tuisong.  Very impressive build!  I love the creativity!  Already, ideas are popping into my head.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Scott

Thanks for the kind words Gents. And I am pleased that I have been able to give you a few helpful ideas.

As for your question on having the three views, Miloguy, I don't know of any reason you would not be able to do that. However, I'm sorry I haven't got the knowledge help you with it. I have thought about doing something along those lines, but it would mean making major modifications now. So I have rejected that idea. I find the one large screen very immersive using the IRTracker. Though it would be great to have something in my peripheral vision too. I'm sure if you ask in the 'Pilot's Lounge', there will be lots of people who will know.

I bet you are excited about getting you new rig. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived