Infared tracker - it's my birthday

boetie

Hi guys, it's my birthday in a few weeks and my wife has agreed to release some funds for my hobby! (Bless her) I rather like the sound of the Track IR. I was wondering if it is worth it and anyone who uses it could give me their opinion. I have a 24" monitor if that makes any difference. Or is my money better spent on something else?

Cheers Boetie

I can warmly recommend it. I only fly with VC cockpit since I got it. Makes flying traffic patterns much easier as you can look to the side and up/down without using your hands. Easy to set up and install of software which you DL from website. You need to find a "profile" that suits your preferences but that is just a matter of checking forums.

TrackIR. Hands down, the best thing I have ever bought for my computer. Enhanced my flying experience 1000%, lost without it.

I sometimes even catch myself watching YouTube videos of people's flights trying to turn my head to look out of their window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my spelling maybe complete rubbish.

For the ultimate experience , Mix all of the FSX ingredients, Shake well, pour into a 24" monitor and top it off with TrackIR5. If you plan on lighting it on fire, add a supper fast over clocked computer on top of everything else. As always, be careful while flying intoxicated.

PS. The best piece of kit out there handsdown and also get the pro clip bundle

I can do the same things with the mouse and spacebar

Well, I have to disagree. Mouse and spacebar may be fine in the cruise, but it needs two hands. At the times when looking around is of most practical use both hands are occupied elsewhere.

I've had it for 3yrs and I use it all the time exept when testing(you know testing cfg file settings). Anyway I wont use it for some things, but I say its one of the must haves for FSX. Oh have you tried the Buttkicker yet? Thats also a keeper. What about EZDock addon? I love my Saitek autopilot.... I have been working on my Pit for awhile now and there are many must haves.

Of the subject of the origional question, as I am not likely to get approval from the missus to buy Track IR in the foreseeable future, I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a link to a tutorial on the use of the mouse and spacebar.Teecee anyone?

Apparently I've been spendining too much on this hobby of mine lately!

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like a majority rate it, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions. You have convinced me to put my order in.

Cheers!

Of the subject of the origional question, as I am not likely to get approval from the missus to buy Track IR in the foreseeable future, I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a link to a tutorial on the use of the mouse and spacebar.Teecee anyone?

Apparently I've been spendining too much on this hobby of mine lately!

Alternatively - shift + o, use mouse to pan

Of course its personal opinion, but frankly if you are using Track IR correctly, there's no way you can do the same thing with the mouse and space bar. They are as different as chalk and cheese.

Just one example;can you lean forward and look round the window screen frame with the mouse and space bar? Of course not, everything moves with you.

I can think of other examples where the head movement using Track IR is far more natural and realistic than using computer keys and mouse.

Sorry, but I don't think the members who bought it, for quite a lot of money, actually had the patience to learn how to use it properly.

John

I was fortunate to have been given one as a gift for all the assistance I had provided to other's on another forum some years ago, I messed around for some time before I found the sweet spot and now when I look left and right etc it is almost as natural as looking out the Aircraft window for real.

I tested a set of VR Goggles with a Race simulation and TrackIR and once used to the lower res video of the goggles I cranked (and I mean Cranked up the sound and went racing, it was so scarily realistic I managed to shave nearly 5 seconds of my times in lots of places because I could look around in traffic, it felt naturally to be able to do so and not detract from the task at hand by having to manually accessing view options.

Track IR WILL Take time and once tuned for the individual and that profile saved I honestly believe that you will never fly in 2D cockpit mode again.

Some LOVE it some like it and for some it just doesn't suit.

Just an addition if I may?

Just purchased EZdok v1.17 and use it along with TrackIR v5, still yet getting everything set up but my impressions so far are they compliment each other very well. I think this will be another cannot fly without it product.

@ JohnY.

I have been simming for as long as I have had a computer, over ten years or more. I have had TrackIR for some months, and I don't like it.. This is my prerogative, and I do not need you to tell me I that I lack patience or learning ability.. Teecee.

Archived