Back to the Cockpit building

tennyson

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WoW frank you are a handy guru for cockpit building! as this cockpit keep taking shape i am getting more addictived to this thread every day,i cant believe some of the wood work angles and workman ship you have created in some of these pictures,as they say mate follow your dreams,once finish you can enjoy your own cockpit! well done keep the updates coming :)

Yeah, Timmo, but it all pales into insignifigance when you go to some of the builders sites and see the use of surround screens, motion platforms, etc.

However, all I'm after is a replica of the real thing that will fit within my budget and look reasonable. Hopefully, that's where I'm headed.

And here's a few snaps I took yesterday.

The two new OC CDU's in my modified CDU bay:

Posted Image

And a coupla snaps of the sidewall with the panels (the tiller is just awaiting connection. An important part of a functioning pit, in my opinion) and lights fitted:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll take another coupla snaps with the i-pad in it's place and the new map light panel fitted, today.

Working on the sills today, so I'll take a few snaps there, too.

Watch this space.........

Frank

Ok, good job, keep watching....

So, it's been a long day of busy, busy.

I matched up the sidewalls to the MIP today and it's looking good, so far:

Posted Image

Here's the i-pad on the plinth:

Posted Image

And here is the i-pad operational:

Posted Image

And I been busy making a drink holder for the right sidewall:

Posted Image

And here's the windows taking shape:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's the new map lights with the new dimmer controls from FDS:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still gotta make the decals for the panels and then screw them in.

So, I'm gonna take a shower and go out for tea and a movie. I think I deserve it after the productive day I've had.

More to come..........

Frank

Hi Dave.

Nice to see you back, mate.

I know what you mean about not getting it together. As a worker I'm OK, but as a foreman, I suck...

Anyway, I've had a good coupla days, but I'm at a bit of a cross roads. I'm tossing up which way to go with a design issue.

The MIP will have a frame that is attached to the supporting sides and go over the top.

This frame has a two-fold purpose, Firstly, it will provide a base for the rear portion of the fill panel behind the front woindow frames and also an attachment point for the two retractable handles (used to pull yourself forward in the seats).

Secondly, it will provide a solid front base for the roof section to sit on, when I construct it. There will also be a rear frame for support at the back for the roof as well.

I'm thinking on a steel box construction and a small sheet of mdf for the panel, but I'll knock up a few drawings first to see if it's a feasible idea.

I've already started making the necessary adjustments, with the cutting down of the existing wooden supports for the MIP.

The making of the window frames, which I'll be using to support the 42" LCD's and the construction of this frame will be this week's job.

We'll see how I go...

Frank

Thanx Roger.

I been out today and bought a few lengths of steel tubing that would be suitable for the framing structure I mentioned earlier.

Just gonna sit on it for a few days and give it some thought before rushing in. Something will come to me, no doubt.

Pushing on with re-construction of the MIP now and will try and get the whole thing wired and tested now, before going on to the next step.

Will just throw a coat of resin on the finished drink holder and I have also made a document holder for the FO as well, so I'll also give that a coat of resin also.

That's about it, try and get some more pics up tomorrow,

Frank

Ok, I was in the middle of an update and had a computer or internet fart, so I'll start again.

As I said earlier, I've been busy making the chart holder for the FO's sidewall. Made the mould from wood and then greased her up with release agent and then slapped on the fibreglass.

Only thing is, the release agent hasn't done it's job and I'm having trouble getting it from the mould. I will win, trust me!

Posted Image

And I've also thrown a coat of fibreglass on the drink holder. This baby is big enough to hold a Darwin Stubby!!!!

Posted Image

And, as you might remember, earlier on, I had a senior moment and hooked up some wiring wrong and blew some parts up. Well, two of those parts were my FDS Captains side Master Warning and Fire Warning Switches.

I tried to replace them, but decided to look around for some more realistic looking units. I compared all of the available units I could find on the net and decided to buy the SISMO one's.

They are big and sturdy and really look the goods, so I'm happy with them and will replace both sides with these. By the way, they were not cheap, I could have bought the realt things cheaper, I think.

Anyway, here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've had to modify the glarewings to fit them, but that's all part of the fun. Here they are just sitting in place in the glares:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come tomorrow,

Frank

Just a quickie, guys.

I have my drink holder finished, just needs one last coat of colour and am working on the map holder.

I've also finished the wiring for the glares and they are in the process of being put back together.

I have given my self this week (all going well and clear of distractions) to complete the MIP again and want to have it ready to test by the week-end.

Will try and get some pics up tomorrow,

Frank

Finally, my throttle quadrant is shipping in a week or so. I should have it by the end of the month.

It has been a long slow process in acquiring it, but it will certainly be welcome in my cockpit.

I've got some prep to do, before it arrives.

My MIP is slowly coming together with all of the new parts and the drink holder is finished, for sure.

More, soon......

Frank

Well, I gotta tell you all, this drink holder has turned out pretty good.

Here's a pic, showing ya, just how nice and big it is...can handle a full bottle of Father O'Leary's Butterscotch Cream....(hic), not that I'm advocating anybody, (hic) should drinking when they are flying..ah, I mean flying while they are.....scuse me FO, can you just top this up.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not too much happenin in the flight sim building factory tonight, now..(hic)

Frank

Well, it's been a good day, so far.

Even tho I've had numerous interuptions, I've finally had a win with the set-up with my MIP. I'm using a new cockpit Software, ProSim 737 and that, together with the software for the I/O cards, InterfaceIT, it's a relative breeze.

I've already set up the glare, so I can bolt the top back down on it now and get on with the rest of the MIP.

I am kinda over the electronics thing, soldering and wiring this and that. It's nice to see it all come to life, but it's awful taxing on my ancient old brain and I find myself in need of a lie down and think, every now and then.

Thankfully, I don't have a lot of wiring and electronics left, so it's just a matter of hooking it all up and troubleshooting. and testing.

I am also on schedule as I said I was trying to have it all together by the weekend.

Now I gotta run off to RPM at the gym (trying to keep the body going and the little electrons firing in the noodle), so later..............

Frank

Well, the testing is going all right. I have most of the switches and warning lights mapped to ProSim now and I am very happy with the progress. I still have a few days left yet, tho, so when it's in the final phase, I'll make a little video for youtube and plonk it up here.

I'm so glad I changed over to ProSim, it's a very nice piece of software and extremely easy to set up.

Now, I gotta go keep up my training, I have an 800 sitting at bay 24 at Brisbane Domestic, waiting for me to ship it to Sydney, so later.........

Frank

Yeah, well even tho things are going great in the electronics department, I've had a few failures with the gauges I bought for the MIP.

I have had a deal of trouble setting them up and without rubbishing the company that made them, they are clearly at the lower end of the scale, quality wise.

I'm hoping that this whole cockpit might last me a few years, so another investment isn't going to make much difference, so Monday, I'll be ordering new gauges (flap, hyd pressure and yaw) from Flight Illusions, including a wet compass as well.

My overhead also has a full compliment of the other brand's gauges, so I'll be swapping them over for the quality ones from Flight Illusions as well. I can get the overhead ones for 1300 bucks and the MIP ones for about 1500.

You gotta have deep pockets, that's for sure!

Frank

Sometimes, it's all I can do is to keep on truckin. I lose focus now and then, but luckily I get to travel a bit, so a break here and there always helps.

I am getting a bit stressed lately, as the MIP has become a sore point. I keep taking steps backwards, when all else is moving forward.

I'll now be waiting on gauges and a new undercarriage handle before finishing the MIP.

It's been a real bug bear for me, but I keep telling myself that if I do it right the first, second time, it will be for the better.

And it also helps to be the eternal optimist.

Frank

Unfortunately, mate, there ain't nothin new.

I have done a few changes to the MIP and taken out the big dimmers and added the new FDS dimmers instead. That is terribly time consuming and all has to be tested and set up, so it's a waste of time taking pics at the moment.

Next week, I'm hoping to have my TQ, so I'll be breaking out the camera for that, don't you worry.

Until then, guys,

Frank

Archived