Back to the Cockpit building

tennyson

Hi Guys,

Just got back from the West (had two beautiful weeks in Perth with the better half's family) and am refreshed and rejuvinated for a new year of building, so I thought, seeing as how I had so many people interested in the build last year, that I'd offer an update.

I've accumulated quite a bit of gear over the holidays and now I need to knuckle down and get it all together.

I've bought myself a copy of Sim Avionics (the full dual seat trainer software with Instructor station)from FDS and am currnetly installing it to the three PC's I've built to run the whole sim. It runs beautifully with FSX and FTX and REX.

It's phenomenal software, all the logic from the 737-800 and linkable to a vast majority of hardware and I/O cards.

I hope I'm allowed to say this here, the guys at FDS are fantastic. The boss, Peter Cos is a real gentleman and really knows how to deliver good products and fantastic service to his clients.

As well, little switches, knobs, handles and gauges are either to be fitted, or are on their way for the MIP. then comes all the wiring up, so that's gonna be a challenge.

I'm aiming for a fully functional MIP (all gauges operational, lighting, dimmers, the works), but that means some slow, painstaking detail, so that you don't have to keep going back and re-doing things over and over again.

I've read on a number of cockpit builders forums that the best way to build a cockpit is to read and read and read.

Well, I've spent the last year or two doing that, so I'm hoping that I have a better grasp of the overall development picture now and even tho it's a can of worms, I'm gradually sorting through it.

I'll be doing a number of additions to the MIP this week, so I'll break out the camera and take a few happy snaps to keep you all visually informed,

Thas all for now, Happy New year to the crew here and hope it's a Bonza year for flight simming, it certainly is going to be for me.

Frank

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back old mate, and a happy new year to you and the missus! Look forward to your updates my friend, can't wait to take the right hand seat with you one day!

Happy New Year Frank, great to see you back on deck and getting stuck into your monster project. You should have let us know you were over here, I would have gladly shouted you a beer or several :D

All the best and look forward to seeing your build develop.

Derek

Mozz, always good for a cackle...

Derek, I never even gave it a thought, mate, I'd have loved to have caught up. I'll keep you in mind for later in the year. I got lots of travel this year, so I'll try and shove WA on the list.

Thanx Dale, I haven't built my seats yet, so I'll try and make yours with a bundy rum and coke holder.....haha

And there'll be some piccies on the way, Howard.

Frank

No, Howard, 4 monitors.

I have 4 x 32" high def (1920 x 1080) samsung screens.

The front two will fit neatly into channels to represent the forward two windscreens and the other two will be fitted by the sides and cover the twin side windows. I'm juggling the logistics of it at the moment and have a few models that I am basing it on, but I'll build a few bigger models before I take the plunge. I already have the screens and I have had them running along with the full avionics as well.

I'm really happy with the results so far, even tho it's till too early to nail this down. I have a lot of other building to do first before I get to this.

I'll post some pics soon,

Frank

No, Howard, 4 monitors.

I have 4 x 32" high def (1920 x 1080) samsung screens.

The front two will fit neatly into channels to represent the forward two windscreens and the other two will be fitted by the sides and cover the twin side windows. I'm juggling the logistics of it at the moment and have a few models that I am basing it on, but I'll build a few bigger models before I take the plunge. I already have the screens and I have had them running along with the full avionics as well.

I'm really happy with the results so far, even tho it's till too early to nail this down. I have a lot of other building to do first before I get to this.

I'll post some pics soon,

Frank

I can't wait to see some of your pics Frank!

Hi guys.

Well, I'm tearing my hair out at the moment.

The cockpit is coming along nicely, but setting up the software is a chore.

I'm using Sim Avionics (the best software out there for cockpits, IMHO), and it's fantastic software, but getting your head around all of the set-up is doing my head in.

FDS have been excellent for tech support. They have to be some of the best in the business, from sales to support.

Of course, with so many different ways of achieveing an end result, the software is diverse enough to handle all situations, but you need to configure a lot of gear to get it just right.

Having said that, it was quite a buzz seeing all of the avionics come alive, displaying pilot's PFD and ND, eicas and FO's displays as well.

I also had one of the graphics screens displaying FSX/FTX at the same time and I was getting a good idea just how magical it's gonna be when this project kicks up a gear.

Here's a few pics to give you an idea of my progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll see if I can take a few snaps of all of the avionics running, icluding the twin MCDU's and the lower EICAS, as well as 2 of the 32" monitors displaying some beautiful FTX areas.

Gotta get back to it......

Frank

Ahhhh.

I was installing the undercarriage handle in the NIP last night and was having some problem with the clearances of the underlying, mounted frame so I dragged the lot out to the garage, pulled it all apart and proceeded to cut away some of the backplate to allow sufficient room for the handle.

I slipped with the saw and scratched, not one, but two of the screens in my MIP. The scratches are only superficial, but are annoying enough for me to want to change them now.

One is a 15" lcd monitor (which is a little hard to find) and the other is a 17" lcd.

Fortunately for me, ebay to the rescue. Picked up a replacement 15 for $5.00 from a local distributor 10 minutes from my home and I found a 17 on ebay for 50 bucks and 10 bucks postage.

It's not the cost that angers me, but it's another week of delay in getting things operational.

Two steps forward, one step back............grrrrr!

Frank

Well, the news isn't all that bad.

I picked up a 15" monitor from ebay for $10.50 and a 19" monitor from my local computer store for $90.00, so the sorry exercise only cost me a hundred bucks, but at least the screens won't have scratches.

My CDU bay has had a modification and I've installed the undercarriage lever. the whole shooting match has received another coat of 737 grey paint and is now ready for re-installation.

In the mean time, I've worked out a few glitches with my software and I'm good to go when i get it all back together.

Next step is installation of my glareshield and wire-up of components to the I/O cards.

Pics coming soon.....

Frank

Just when I was on a roll, I need to go to WA for a while to help out my son. The build will have to go on hold for a while.

Hopefully, I can get things wrapped up in the west and get back soon,

Until then, gents,

Frank

Watching your build closely, looks great.

I'm starting down the same path. Spoke with Peter Cos at FDS and am starting to put everything together (my end goal is a DSTD, full overhead, motorized throttle, inside a shell with 180-degree wrap around screen w/ 3 short throw projectors). Have a 4-5 year total timeline and working to get there incrementally.

Question for you (since you seem to be going the FDS route as well. What is your computer/network architecture right now? I'm looking at an FSX server, FSX visual client, and running an i7 with 3 GTX 560's to drive the entire MIP (with the CDU's). Just curious on your setup..

Keep the pics coming! :)

Hi Dan.

That's an awesome set-up. I wish I had the room, I'd probably go with a triple projector set-up.

My set-up consists of a Server Unit that Runs the Server program and Dispatch Console. I then have two Avionics PC's(started out as one unit, but decided to split the load).

The first one runs my Captains PFD, ND, Centre EICAS and FO's PFD and ND. This will also handle all of the I/O card inputs for the IBL on the MIP and other electronic inputs for the MIP.

The second Avionics PC handles the CDU bay: Captain and FO's MCDU's and lower EICAS.

Lastly, I have one behemoth PC (running a Intel 3960X and two GTX 580's) for my Graphics, that runs 4 x 32" high def 3D monitors. the forward two for the main windscreens and the other two will cover the side windows of the shell.

I have nearly completed all of my MIP now and I'm installing and setting up all of the Avionics. Next step is hooking up all of the I/O cards, IBL and gauges.

I hope to have something flyable before mid-year. I have already seen the possibilities during testing and I gotta say that running FTX visuals is the icing on the cake.

I'll be updating this thread again soon with some pics, I promise,

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more pictures! Your setup looks great so far!

So you're only using one FSX computer (not using a visual client via Wideview)?

I was thinking of multi-monitor to start out, before I move next year and am able to dedicate a room for the curved projection screen. But, saw a build a gentlemen in Athens is working on, and he's using a single short-throw mounted in the front of the MIP, projecting on the wall. Only need to keep the MIP about 1.5 ft from the wall. Here's a picture: (http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php/20424-Nick1150-Home-Cockpit-737NG-project-in-Athens/page7?p=114029&viewfull=1#post114029)

I'm thinking of having an FSX server handle FSX (with graphics settings all the way to the left), control inputs, sound, weather. Will use my current 2700k (OC'd to 5.0 GHz) as a visual client only. Hopefully that, with a 2600k and the 3x360's for the MIP will work for me. Can add another low end machine when I add the overhead and pedestal.

Keep posting pictures! I'm finding the planning/research is going to be as much fun as the build.

Cheers,

But, saw a build a gentlemen in Athens is working on, and he's using a single short-throw mounted in the front of the MIP, projecting on the wall. Only need to keep the MIP about 1.5 ft from the wall. Here's a picture: (http://www.mycockpit...ll=1#post114029)

Absolutely bizarre! All that time, effort and money and he's hooked up a CH eclipse, plastic yoke to his Boeing!?? ???:wacko:

Ok, back from the west for a while and I been busy again.

I bought some gauges for my MIP (Flap, Brake pressure and yaw Damper, plus I/O card) from Opencockpits. I don't know why they are not the most popular sellers in the flight sim world. They have great gear, unbelieveably cheap prices and they had it here from italy (or whereever they are) in 3 days.

That is fantastic service.

Anyhow, I've already fitted the yaw damper gauge and the brake pressure gauge. I still have the flap gauge to go, but it looks to be a bit of a challenge, so it may take a few hours to accomplish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, so I have another slight problem. I bought an undercarriage handle from a reputable dealer, but the engineering is crap.

The finger hold (which had not been engineered properly), kept pulling out when you used the handle.

Rather than demolishing my entire MIP and waiting for a replacement, I did a little re-engineering myself. I bought a replacement piece of aluminium tubing, cut it to size.

I then made a notch in the finger hold, which will allow it to sit within the tube and prevent it from pulling out. Then I cut the slot in the aluminium tube, as per the original, but 5mm shorter.

Now the finger hold fits snugly in the tube and does not come out when you pull on the finger hold.

I also cleaned up the tracks where the handle pin glides in and re-greased it all with dry lube.

It works like a bought one now and has been re-installed in the MIP.

I'll be sending on the fix to the manufacturers of the undercarriage handle for their perusal!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More reports in the coming days,

Frank

Archived