Public Flight Sim Demonstration

Spirit Flyer_old

This past Saturday the Moncton Hangar of the New Brunswick Flight Sim Club had a public demonstration at the Future Shop, a large computer and electronics superstore. There were four of us locals that participated, 2 flying FSX default airplanes and sceneries, a VATSIM controller controlling traffic over Atlantic Canada, and myself with ORBX sceneries and payware aircraft. It was great, with a lot of excited public interest while taking turns in the cockpits.

Here are some pictures:

Posted Image

That is me on the end leaning over and coaching a new pilot. Behind me in the black shirt is Flight Sim NB Chairman and fellow ORBX Forum member Rolf Spangenburg. ORBX Forum member Ray White is in the foreground with his hand on the mouse, and Rick Couch is on the extreme left talking with the man leaning on the counter.

Posted Image

Rolf taking up a Royal Duke for a circuit at an ORBX PNW airport. I left my Yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant at home. The store provided the monitors and sound equipment.

Posted Image

Fun and excitement for plenty of folks including real pilots and plane loads of new wannabes.

It was fun and stirred up a lot of potential customers for upgraded computer systems, flight sim, and I like to think, ORBX. I encourgage everyone to connect with other flight sim enthusiasts that live near you and take it to your community. You'd be surprised how well our hobby is received.

Kind regards,

Awesome Stephen

Thanks for posting,thats the one thing I miss is going to flightsim events..having been to quite a few avsim conferences over the years. Louis and I had planned to go to the one this year in Washington but as you know it was cancelled..Hope the ecomomy improves so it will generate more interest and more people can afford to go. Orbx was trying to hold one this year,but dont know where that is at,

Terry

I wish Future Shop sold addons, they sell everything else you need. Really amazing considering there really aren't too many games that are actually suitable for all ages and run on PCs.

They used to back in the 1990's. I think a lot of those stores as well as the EB stores ended up stuck with a lot of old MSFS and MSTS stock that it wasn't worth their while. We tend to stick to Forums and stores like FlightSimStore.com. With download stores these days Future Shop is better off focusing on Hardware instead. Also consider when we buy ORBX downloads from FlightSimStore.com or the other stores we don't pay a sales tax. If Future Shop sold it then you would have to pay a sales tax.

I did buy my current Saitek Yoke, Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrant from the Future Shop in Dundas Square in Toronto when I was there. The price was less then half the price compared to buying if from Dick Smith down here. The guys at Air New Zealand was wondering what was in my luggage when I came back here as I had a lot of FSX stuff and not much for clothes. Goes to show where my priorites are, FSX gear and the shirt on my back is all you need really.

Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

i remember lining up for an hour to get a fly with a sim at Avalon years ago - you should have seen how long that queue was...

i've taken my system to Boonah on two occasions, one to a Gliding Club event and another time to the Tigers clubhouse for the local flying school xmas party

both times the level of interest was unbelievable, last time i even managed to hand out 20 copies of a little flyer i printed out on "how to set up a flightsim system at home" - i ran out of 'em!!

apparently the poms have got the ball rolling with flightsim groups meeting all over the country on a regular interval, pity we don't do the same thing here is Oz

cheers

BP

Archived