FXAA Post Process Injection

JimmiG

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea. Tried to do that, but 9.0c webinstaller said all files were newer and wouldn't reinstall. Any way to make it reinstall?

Edit: Found the DirectX 9.0c redistributable and installed it. It added quite a few files. That didn't fix it though.

Further experimentation (hey, if I can avoid a total reinstall, I'll do pretty much anything) shows that the problem doesn't occur with FTX set to Default. It does with either NA or Australia enabled (even if I take off from a PNW airport with Australia enabled). So, it appears to be related to the Orbx scenery files. Not sure how it buggered those, but it appears some file(s?) that is active when Orbx scenery is enabled and replaced when Default scenery is enabled is the culprit.

Before I reinstall everything, I'll try reinstalling PNW to see if that fixes it. Off to check on the proper way to reinstall that!

I can't see the problem being a FXAA thing as it doesn't in anyway interfere with the drivers, I would still delete the FSX config and let FSX build it's own and see what happens, sometimes my text in the ATC window goes all crappy and the rebuild config fixes the issue. When the config rebuilds it takes into account the GPU settings at the time so you may have missed something when you copied over your back-up. Really is worth the try ::)

Also you could have a problem with your scenery cfg file?

Well, the FXAA thing is the only thing I changed. I've been flying FSX a LOOOOONNNNG time and have never had this problem before. I tried the FXAA files. Didn't like the result. Got rid of them. Checked carefully that I deleted each of the files I dropped into the root folder. Then fired up FSX again and this started happening!

I'll try the rebuild config experiment. I'll look at the scenery.cfg file, but am not sure how to spot any problem there.

Thanks for your help so far. It's pretty frustrating! I tried re-installing the latest PNW .004 patch, but that didn't fix it.

Yes, I tried it on default several times, after switching to NA and OZ in FTX Central. It was always fine on Default.

I just let FSX build a new fsx.cfg and have loaded the game several times and so far, no problems. I checked my fsx.cfg line by line and saw no changes, so it's weird that this could have been the problem, but you called it! I'm going to add in my EZCA lines and a couple of other changes (like my LOD and buildings and trees tweaks) but I'll let all the dll's get "trusted" and added as I use them.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I would let FSX add the EZCA line itself when ask at start up if you 'trust this program' than manually adding the line to the config, and yes FSX is completely weird that way, a mind of itself sometimes (most times) keep us posted on how things go ::)

Damn I should have told you to make a copy of your 'control' file also, I'm afraid you will have to set up your key and joystick control settings again :-[

Didn't have to add any EZCA line, as I did "trust" it when FSX restarted.

I just added the other lines and changed widescreenview.

I don't ever let it accept the default mappings, so my controls stay the same. Besides, I backed them up before I deleted the fsx.cfg anyway. :-)

I couldn't find any repetition in the scenery.cfg file.

Off to test some more after the few changes I made.

Ok I give in...what's Post Process Injection ???

Just what it sounds like. Post-processing means the image, i.e. each frame, is rendered first, then the graphics card essentially looks at it and uses special techniques to add effects to it, such as HDR lighting and bloom. In this case it's using some fancy blurring techniques on the image. As for the 'injection', well I'm guessing here, but I would say it's because it's an external utility doing the effects, injecting them into FSX.

Cheers,

Mike

Wolter, so you use 8xSQ plus FXAA ? ^-^

well I'm testing it Heiko, as said so far so good and as usual, nothing is carved in stone ........... :ph34r:

and always eager to listen to your most valued advice 8)

Wolter, where are them first 3 screens taken?! I dont recognise that Dam.

erm ........... 1WA6 a lil bit up river :unsure:

I just totally removed my enb series I had dropped in (not sure if your using it or not), because I was tired of my sim making me look up and down constantly (reminded of seeing people who have bifocals, having to look up and down to see things..) lol. Perhaps thought, if your using it, you could just get rid of it, as I did after downloading and installing this "gem" of a find.

I just totally removed my enb series I had dropped in (not sure if your using it or not), because I was tired of my sim making me look up and down constantly (reminded of seeing people who have bifocals, having to look up and down to see things..) lol. Perhaps thought, if your using it, you could just get rid of it, as I did after downloading and installing this "gem" of a find.

Look up and down? Why?? Did you have depth of field activated? If so you can just disable that...

Cheers,

Derek

I know that all I had to do was just disable it, but I was really only using it for picture taking reasons to begin with anyway. It's not as if keeping it some how offered me a boost in performance or anything. I thought it was cool to have at first, but then realized that I only really wanted it because I saw it being used in one of them promo vid's and thought it added a cool affect (but really it's pretty trivial lol). Besides, it's always there if I decide otherwise O0 ...

I would let FSX add the EZCA line itself when ask at start up if you 'trust this program' than manually adding the line to the config, and yes FSX is completely weird that way, a mind of itself sometimes (most times) keep us posted on how things go ::)

Damn I should have told you to make a copy of your 'control' file also, I'm afraid you will have to set up your key and joystick control settings again :-[

I have found almost every splat I have had in FSX is solved by letting FSX rebuild the CFG. I dont even look in there anymore. I just do it. Ha. It's like a 1 minute fix all.

C.

I tried this, but didnt work on my machine.... when a flight was loaded, the bloom was so extreme, everything was really bright and washed out... it looked like 'The Flash' when a nuke goes off!! :(

Uninstalled from my route folder and now FSX is buggered up.... bloom is really harsh, everything still washed out and so bright it hurts..

Any help please..... looks like I maybe going down the route now of a complete reinstall, :(

See Heiko's fix above. You just need to enter the line in FSX.XFG to force FSX to rebuild the shade cache(because FXAA had its own shavers and you removed them with the uninstall. They really should make it clear you will have this problem in the readme!

See Heiko's fix above. You just need to enter the line in FSX.XFG to force FSX to rebuild the shade cache(because FXAA had its own shavers and you removed them with the uninstall. They really should make it clear you will have this problem in the readme!

That's exellent thanks and I will try that...Im really hoping I get this fixed... honestly, I been really pleased with the way my FSX is looking lately.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi all...

I'd love to give this a try... Sadly, whenever I install it, I get an error telling me that FSX could not load some files and I need to repair the installation... Uninstall it and reload the shaders and it's just fine again.

I noticed there are a ton of different versions on the linked download page... Does it matter which one I use? (I was just downloading the latest one)... Failing that, any ideas how I can get this to work?

(I've tried running as admin and all the usual suspects...)

Well, I don't think there are problems just using it (except for not liking the way it looks). :-) The problems start when you try to uninstall it by deleting the files and folders. It messes with the shade cache since the program used its own shade files in its own folder and you just deleted it when you uninstalled! :-) I found that forcing FSX to rebuild the cache, either by letting it rebuild the fsx.cfg or by inserting a line in it to force the rebuild solves the problem.

So, all those guys on those other forums may not have uninstalled it since they're happy with it, and thus haven't experienced any problems.

And yes, it seems on my system as well that any application using it's own d3.dll causes problems. ENB and Antilag both made my game quite unstable (and ENB created a significant performance hit).

I still can't believe what this has enabled me to do in terms of overall experience myself. I wouldn't think this to be any sort of "quick fix", but am rather glad I gave it a shot. It's unfortunate that the same goes for others who have had trouble.

Gave it a try. With FSAA disabled in Inspector it looked awful... Fps was a bit better maybe. WIth FSAA enabled in Inspector it looked just as it did without this injection-addon... So I removed it: I can't see what's so great about it...

Gave it a try. With FSAA disabled in Inspector it looked awful... Fps was a bit better maybe. WIth FSAA enabled in Inspector it looked just as it did without this injection-addon... So I removed it: I can't see what's so great about it...

If you are like me (and I know I am), it looked the same because it was. For me the effect is only visible on the aircraft preview window, noticeable by hitting the pause key repeatedly to see the difference, but once a flight is launched I see no effects. Hitting the pause key then yields no difference indicating to me that it isn't injecting anything.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys really interesting topic and nice-looking app. However I followed the instructions and dumped all those files into the root FSX folder.

But nothings happening in the sim - I dont see any difference. I fired up the FXAA tool (the one with all the sliders) and maxed them out (to check to see if they were doing their thing).

..still nothing. Its like it refuses to work! :blink:

Have I missed something out? Thanks guys!

PS: I use the same program in SKYRIM and it works perfectly in that game!

..still nothing. Its like it refuses to work! :blink:

Have I missed something out? Thanks guys!

I had heaps of problems at first, but it wasn't till I found this thread that I got it working. What cured it for me was to:

1) Turn AA completely OFF in nVidia CP, nVidia Inspector (if you use it) *and also in FSX*.

2) Unmap your PAUSE key in FSX, leaving "P" as the default for pausing.

3) Run FXAA_Tool in the background

4) Maximise/minimise once to activate (or refresh new settings).

I have a GTX580 and, for some reason, nVidia Inspector and/or the nVidia CP totally refuse to apply any changes to my system. I've tried everything.

When AA is enabled (in FSX and nVidia) it's not FSAA and seems to default to what looks like 2x. FXAA_Tool seems to be the only way I can force my system to do FSAA - and I don't use any of the other effects ... only AA.

Archived