Welcome to the new forums....

Jay Kae

Hey all,

As you can see, it was not just maintenance, it was a complete conversion from one forum software to another. Now a lot of people are not going to like this first up, I know and I realise that and all I ask of you is to give it a chance. Yes, there is lots of functionality still missing but I will be adding my to do list to this shortly. Please report any issues with the forum in this thread.

Enjoy the new home for FTX !!

To-Do-List:

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Avatar Issue -- Cannot be fixed, an issue in moving the forums over lost a lot of avatars, please redo your avatars
  • Top logo linkage
  • Restore Ad ability
  • Restore calendar tweaks
  • Create Portal
  • Screenshot tagging -- The old screenshots with the img tag and width/height indications cannot be fixed unfortunately
  • Tapatalk integration
  • Repair Chat
  • Post Count Issue
  • Pending/Solved Issue
  • Member Map
  • User Group Colours
  • ...more to follow

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, ya right - I dont like it !! ..I prefer the old one. Hang on a minute , I remember saying that when we got the new 'old ' one . :) ..hey my smile looks different , I've changed :blink:

What was wrong with the old new software Jay? I took me forever to get used to it...:( Don't know why, but then this is Orbx's board. Miss the old board....

BTW, most of the profile pics don't show up for me.

You'll be right Sniper, what was wrong with it that it had become virtually impossible to stop the incoming stream of spammers, SMF is not really making any headway in that departement. This is a paid for software with full support and an incredible spam service. Lots of other things missing from SMF compared to IPB when it comes to backend functions etc. The funny thing is that the circle is full now.

We used to run IPB free forums (back in the day they were free) then they got taken by a cracker, then we went to SMF 1.0 , now shy of 6 years later we are back with IPB, gotta love life ;)

You'll be right Sniper, what was wrong with it that it had become virtually impossible to stop the incoming stream of spammers, SMF is not really making any headway in that departement. This is a paid for software with full support and an incredible spam service. Lots of other things missing from SMF compared to IPB when it comes to backend functions etc. The funny thing is that the circle is full now.

We used to run IPB free forums (back in the day they were free) then they got taken by a cracker, then we went to SMF 1.0 , now shy of 6 years later we are back with IPB, gotta love life ;)

Well, thanks for the update about that Jay...now back to going through all the 'NEW' posts.. ;)

Well, this is quite a change! Understand the need for more secure software...I can get used to the new format and may even like it better in the end. My concern...the print is not as dark/bold as the old software which makes it harder to read for my mature eyes. I see that as a much bigger problem than getting used to a different format. Can you do anything about that? I am sure of this issue since I have some.mht files where I can see the old much clearer print format.

Stiletto2

All looks good Jay .... a change is as good as a holiday .... as long as you don't deprive us of access for too long a period.

We're all so dependent (read addicted) on our daily update of things flightsim and orbx in particular, that we suffer withdrawals very rapidly if deprived . LOL

Cheers mate.

Hey all,

As you can see, it was not just maintenance, it was a complete conversion from one forum software to another. Now a lot of people are not going to like this first up, I know and I realise that and all I ask of you is to give it a chance. Yes, there is lots of functionality still missing but I will be adding my to do list to this shortly. Please report any issues with the forum in this thread.

Enjoy the new home for FTX !!

To-Do-List:

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Top logo linkage
  • Restore Ad ability
  • Restore calendar tweaks
  • Create Portal
  • Screenshot tagging
  • ...more to follow

Ooooh yeah! I know what this is like :) I'm a web developer to! e uh, haggling through code :)

Anyway it will take a little bit to get used to but...I like change!

Cheers,

Amos

JK I share the understanding of your urgent need to reduce spammint - I can only hope that Readers Digest doesn't find you as I can neither block their domain or address.

But my request is similar to that above: you may have a lot of old and bold posters, but many of us have declining eyesight (yes we should have listened to our mother's warning).

Could you please enlarge the default font size - you do provide a drop-down menu of sizes but that is only for posting and not reading.

Second could you even default Bold the type until your next patch.

Yours in the creeping infirmity of the aged,

@Dean, see where it says 'Signed In As Dean', click on that and view 'My Content'

@Waco, Google is not logged in, it is recognised, 36 guests can only see the post that you cannot see Waco ;)

@Mac, no not at the moment, as explained above. Quick fix for you, hold your control button and roll your mouswheel, see what happens ;)

Another thing guys, if you are getting errors etc please use this the link in the bottom of the forums called

'Delete My Cookies'

To reset your system for the new forums, caching in your browser can stuff things up quite badly ;)

It looks nice and fresh!

I know a lot of folks don't like it when stuff changes (me included, at times) but after a couple of days i'm sure everyone will be used to it :)

Just one small suggestion, any chance of being able to change the default font colour? Black might be easier to read, just a thought

Looking Good to me there Jay, it might take a day or two to get used to this newie but i think it will be a change for the best and more secure Thanks for the work mate. The only thing some of my screenies are missing off my last post not a big thing as the code is there for people to click on if they wish. i think this is only a teething problem anyway so Thank you once again for the move forward mate.

cheers

Iain

Every forums upgrade more and more space is taken both horizontally and vertically (not just here but generally speaking, it's a trend). I myself like it all clean and very compact - mostly text only, Google style. I guess I'll get used to this but it seems I have to at least disable everything possible like avatars etc. to make it a little better. Is there a "Compact Skin" available for this board somewhere that still has a true desktop browser structure (not Mobile)? That would be great for some of us :). Thanks.

Guest J van E

Great new forum! Love it! Why? Because it has build in support for mobile phones!!! Awesome!!! :) The new forum looks GREAT on my Desire HD! This alone is worth the switch for me. ;)

I also noticed you can reach the View New Content (previously knows as Recent Unread Topics) from every page (and via >> button on the mobile phone version). Nice.

And screenshots are resized automatically...? And if they are not, you can still make the forum less wide and read all text! (If I remember well the old forum sometimes had very wide topics, which you had to scroll left and right, due to very wide screenshots). (EDIT Sceenshots are also resixed on the mobile to fit the screen, so it seems: nice!)

All in all: thanks for the new forum! :)

EDIT:

Also nice: the preview option!

Posted Image

EDIT:

Tip: to jump to the first of the new posts in a topic on the mobile: click on the balloon icon (which will have a little arrow on it)! This is different than on the regular forum (where you have to click on the little orange piece of paper with an arrow on it).

Nice Work Jay, I'm sure once it's you have it the way you want it'll be great.

Any chance of tapatalk support like the last forum?

I can access this new forum via the IPB app (iPhone) but it's just not as polished as tapatalk.

So far so good Jay, I think it's pretty damn good! Could use some jazzier themes to select from but I'm liking it so far. Runs a trifle quicker and smoother that the old one under Firefox4 on my PC.

Oh, I do like the new screenshots page layout too! Very nice auto resizing ;)

Cheers,

Derek

Archived