Good bush plane advice

warwickm

I recommend the Sibwings Birddog too as she seems to be highly underestimated but gives you great details (including flight dynamics from Alexander) and some real character, unmatched for this type of aircraft and comparable to the A2A titles in my eyes.

I would have to tune my Carendo planes a lot (especially the FDE) and wouldn't catch her. Of course, see this as personal preference statement of mine.

The C185 is fun when you use that free FDE mod kit, really worth a try and great work from the authors there.

Depends a bit on the price of the thing. The older titles are good too, namely Aerosoft Beaver (very versatile plane in all variants) or the TwinOtter would come to my mind. But if they are sold at the price point were they have been just after their release, they are too expansive now.

The Carenado Caravan is a good plane too but her FDE don't look that good in my humble eyes. The optics are more than good though, but that's not all it takes.

There's a Digital Aviation Do27, a real classic and and FS9 portover but it works very good on my system and offers some of those neat little details I like so much. Somehow a predecessor of the Accusim stuff.

You could go with the Quest Kodiak if you like the modern and very powerful bush planes, she's got a PT6 engine and the G1000 on board. But, same as Carenado there, it needs some tuning.

Once again these statements are my personal view, I currently go slightly "bush" with the old PC12 from Flight1.

Those older titles are interesting if they come with some discount.

One good tip I almost forgot, a very current one too. BN2 Islander from Flight1. Great appearance and some nice FDE too including all rw documents.

Don't get me wrong, it's not everything about FDE and numbers, but when the character of the thing and the behaviour in FSX don't match somehow, I don't have fun there. I don't need a flying Excel table but I want to feel "bush" when I'm flying such a thing. Rough explanation though, I must admit.  :-[

Mmm, Paul, the Aerosoft Beaver....mmm, I know this is a personal thing but I've only just purchsed the Aerosoft Beaver and it is the biggest disappointment to date!!  :( Don't get me wrong, the plane is fine, but the sound set is sadly lacking IMO. In fact the sound from outside the aircraft is just appalling. I feel it is so poor that I am investigating purchasing a complete new sound set from Turboprop Simulations!

Mmm, Paul, the Aerosoft Beaver....mmm, I know this is a personal thing but I've only just purchsed the Aerosoft Beaver and it is the biggest disappointment to date!!  :( Don't get me wrong, the plane is fine, but the sound set is sadly lacking IMO. In fact the sound from outside the aircraft is just appalling. I feel it is so poor that I am investigating purchasing a complete new sound set from Turboprop Simulations!

Hi Howard

Well there is a sound update available at Aerosoft - it just adds clicks etc though. One alternative is to alias the sound to the default Beaver - which some people prefer.

Cheers

Paul

+1 for the BirdDog. Had it now for a long time, and I always fall back to it after I've had a blast in the Spit, or Helicopter session. The 185 is okay (Tundra version), but to be honest on a scale of 10 compared to the BirdDog, I'd only give it a 6. The BirdDog as a 10 in that reference.

Whenever flying FTX scenery, I always plump for the BirdDog I'm afraid. My biggest letdown was the fact there was never a tundra version. That plane would've looked looked awesome with big fat tyres  ;D

Thanks guys,

I am leaning towards the Bird dog at the moment.

Although nice looking the Carenado 185 is not floating my boat. Perhaps because it will be yet another Carenado Cessna in my hangar

Love the Beaver in real life but the Aerosoft version leaves me cold. Much the same with the Bush Hawk

I like the look of the Islander but maybe in the future.

Thanks for your help guys

Regards

Warwick

Thanks guys,

I am leaning towards the Bird dog at the moment.

Although nice looking the Carenado 185 is not floating my boat. Perhaps because it will be yet another Carenado Cessna in my hangar

Love the Beaver in real life but the Aerosoft version leaves me cold. Much the same with the Bush Hawk

I like the look of the Islander but maybe in the future.

Thanks for your help guys

Regards

Warwick

Sure, the Aerosoft beaver has left me very cold too! IMO not only is the sound crappy but it feels like a toy to me compared with my other planes.

Sure, the Aerosoft beaver has left me very cold too! IMO not only is the sound crappy but it feels like a toy to me compared with my other planes.

Gosh, that's a bit harsh!  Out of interest, what other planes are you comparing it with?

I would say either get the BirdDog or C185 if you're looking for something in-between the A2A Cub and Caravan. The Bushawk is still a bit to frame rate heavy to my opinion.

Why don t you have a look at the Do-27? That s a realistic addon and a fun bush/stol plane!!  ;)

Cheers.

Hank

Gosh, that's a bit harsh!  Out of interest, what other planes are you comparing it with?

Hi Paul, mmm, harsh, not sure. Compared to the Carenado fleet of planes IMHO it is crappy. It looks and feels like a toy. I feel the developers have spent far too much time on creating so many liveries and little 'extras' that their time should have been spent on actually developing a plane to the same standard as their Airbus X. That's the standard of plane I was expecting to get. The plane's definition is also poor IMO. As for the external sound while in flight, it reminds me of when I was a kid and I used to stick a piece of cardboard in the wheel arch so it rubbed on the spokes of the wheel making it sound like a motor bike! But, we are all different, with different expectations and while I respect any developer when they bring a product to the market I nevertheless get frustrated when I feel it doesn't measure up to my expectations. As for comparing it, I fly GA the Carenado C185, Seneca, Cherokee, Grand Caravan , A340 and Lancair.  ;)

Hi Paul, mmm, harsh, not sure. Compared to the Carenado fleet of planes IMHO it is crappy. It looks and feels like a toy. I feel the developers have spent far too much time on creating so many liveries and little 'extras' that their time should have been spent on actually developing a plane to the same standard as their Airbus X. That's the standard of plane I was expecting to get. The plane's definition is also poor IMO. As for the external sound while in flight, it reminds me of when I was a kid and I used to stick a piece of cardboard in the wheel arch so it rubbed on the spokes of the wheel making it sound like a motor bike! But, we are all different, with different expectations and while I respect any developer when they bring a product to the market I nevertheless get frustrated when I feel it doesn't measure up to my expectations. As for comparing it, I fly GA the Carenado C185, Seneca, Cherokee, Grand Caravan , A340 and Lancair.  ;)

Too be fair though, the Aerosoft FSX Beaver came out right after FSX came out, so it is several years old now, just like FSX. When it came out, it was one of the best FSX planes at the time. But to be true, it has not aged well at all.

Expectations?......Hmmmm.........

I guess that my expectations are driven by the aircraft that I use most of the time such as the A2A WOP3 Spitfire, Warbirdsim P-51D, Flight Replica Boomerang, Aerosoft Catalina. All excellent packages in my view.

Some of the latest Carenado releases (and I have a few) are pretty decent although the flight models could be better.

Bush planes make up most of my flying time,  my favorites from my own collection are the Carenado c185,  the FR supercub, the Realair Scout, and the Aerosoft beaver.  I would also recommend the birddog as well, because it's an incredibly well done study of the aircraft, but I really don't fly it much.  honorable mentions go to the quest Kodiak, and the Aerosoft Twotter.

If the Aerosoft beaver wasn't the first FSX payware aircraft available in 2006, it wasn't far behind.  so expecting it to compete with the latest releases is a bit silly.  At the end of the day, if you're looking for a bush aircraft how can you ignore a beaver? same as the super cub,  those are the two most quintessential bush planes of all time.  and even if the models available don't have the same level of eye or ear candy they're still well worth a flight.  granted I'd love an A2A supercub and beaver, sure but it's not gonna happen.  in the meantime I still love flying the beaver from aerosoft

I have lots of Bush planes (that's what I fly the most). Of the many I have I like the Sibwings BirdDog, the Carenado C185, and the Aerosoft Beaver the best (in that order).

Yes, the Beaver could use some upgrading to get it more inline with current offerings but I still like it.

OK Paul, Shawn, I accept the criticism.  ;) In my ignorance, I was unaware that the Aerosoft Beaver is an older product, I thought it was a fairly new addition to the range. Nevertheless, I still don't enjoy flying it, purely because of the external sound issue. Warwick, I hope you have found everyone's suggestions helpful.  ;)

OK Paul, Shawn, I accept the criticism.  ;) In my ignorance, I was unaware that the Aerosoft Beaver is an older product, I thought it was a fairly new addition to the range. Nevertheless, I still don't enjoy flying it, purely because of the external sound issue. Warwick, I hope you have found everyone's suggestions helpful.  ;)

No problem  ;)

If you don't enjoy the sound, then why not alias it to a different aircraft or just download one of the many freeware sound packs available?

The default FSX Beaver sounds are reportedly taken from a real Beaver. Alternatively, for accuracy try to find a single engined freeware sound pack - ideally for the Pratt & Whitney R985 Wasp Jr, but in reality you can use almost any single engined sound pack that you enjoy listening to.

Just as I was settling on the Bird Dog Shawn mentioned the Flight Replicas Supercub

I missed this release totally. Anybody have any opinions?

I have both and would say the Bird Dog is the better of the two by quite a margin. The BG since they patched it flies great and looks sooooo much better than the Super Cub which in comparision looks very plastic, the BD certainly wins in the looks department hands down. :)

Mmmm, all this talk about the Bird Dog has led me to my Paypal account! Just downloaded it only to find I cannot open the file, it tells me that the setup files are corrupted  ??? Ah well, no doubt I'll get it sorted soon. It does look an interesting little plane  :D

I've been reading this topic with interest. I'm going to follow your actions Howard and "deplete" my paypal account later t'night! I really like the liveries!

OK Kees, here's the challenge... the first one to publish the screenshots of the Bird Dog with the most hits is the winner!  ;);D

Archived