Cyclone Yasi, here we go again....

Old Archie

On the back of the floods that devastated much of the State, we now have what they are calling the largest Cyclone ever recorded heading our way.  Tropical Cyclone Yasi is expected to hit somewhere between Cairns and Innisfail in the early hours of Thursday morning.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting to batten down the hatches, wish us luck guys.  ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good kuck to you Dale and everyone else in its path i hope you all come through this safe, As i live in England we dont see cyclones here but we have had our fair share of floods over the years, To you all Take care and DONT do anything daft if it comes your way.

cheers

Iain

I have been through my fair share of Cyclones living up here for more than 30 odd years, but this is eerily different, they are already evacuating low lying areas right down the coast, and it is mayhem at the local supermarkets and petrol stations as you can imagine.  Unfortunately the closer it moves to the coast, the stronger they get, and this one has a 1000 km footprint.  Looking out the window here it is already getting very gloomy with showers, but extremely calm and humid.

Guest strider

Life on this Earth Just Changed

The North Atlantic Current is Gone

The latest satellite data establishes that the North Atlantic Current (also called the North Atlantic Drift) no longer exists and along with it the Norway Current. These two warm water currents are actually part of the same system that has several names depending on where in the Atlantic Ocean it is. The entire system is a key part of the planet's heat regulatory system; it is what keeps Ireland and the United Kingdom mostly ice free and the Scandinavia countries from being too cold; it is what keeps the entire world from another Ice Age. This Thermohaline Circulation System is now dead in places and dying in others.

Stay safe Dale and I wonder about Frank , jeansey and the rest of the gang .

It seems to be set to cut a swathe 500 mile wide at a similar force that flattened N Q. a decade or so ago . Its not looking that good at the moment . 

You should evacuate now , today . At least go home and batten down. All the warnings have officially been given. 

I hope everyone in the effected areas stays safe, I know all too well just how much fun it is to sit through Cat4/5 cyclones (even worse at sea!).  Those of us who routinely sit through the cyclone season can be a bit too relaxed about it at times, sometimes with devastating consequences.  I wish you guys all the best, let us all know how you get on Dale.

Cheers,

Derek

Stay safe Dale and I wonder about Frank , jeansey and the rest of the gang .

It seems to be set to cut a swathe 500 mile wide at a similar force that flattened N Q. a decade or so ago . Its not looking that good at the moment . 

You should evacuate now , today . At least go home and batten down. All the warnings have officially been given.

Jeansy is in Holsworthy near Sydney, and Frank, if he isn't on his holidays yet is just out of Caboolture near Brisbane, so they are clear.  I'm at home now, started to clean up the yard and move outdoor furniture inside, tape up windows etc.  Got my eldest daughter out foraging for emergency rations, gas, batteries etc.  Latest map has it coming straight over us at midnight Wednesday.

Posted Image

Stay safe. We in Miami know all about them. I lived through Hurricane Andrew and saw Katrina when it went through here (not as as strong as when it hit N. Orleans but nonetheless). We take these storms seriously.

I'd suggest you dig a hole, Archie but you would proabably drown in it. I am very worried about my friend Helene, she is a QANTASLINK  senior Captain, and is due back today after flying a Coastal Run rotation since Sunday.

Good luck to all our North Qld members.

For some incredible imagery of the cyclone.

MTSAT Water Vapor Loop

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shwvgms.html

Coral Sea High resolution (1km) VIS satellite imagery from MTSAT-1R

http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/vis_sat2.html?region=coralsea&loop=yes&images=7&allday=&start=&stop=

Cairns webcam

http://www.cairnsinfo.com/webcam.php

Re: Well, here we go again....

« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:46:37 PM »

Life on this Earth Just Changed

The North Atlantic Current is Gone

The latest satellite data establishes that the North Atlantic Current (also called the North Atlantic Drift) no longer exists and along with it the Norway Current. These two warm water currents are actually part of the same system that has several names depending on where in the Atlantic Ocean it is. The entire system is a key part of the planet's heat regulatory system; it is what keeps Ireland and the United Kingdom mostly ice free and the Scandinavia countries from being too cold; it is what keeps the entire world from another Ice Age. This Thermohaline Circulation System is now dead in places and dying in others."

BULL!

Sue

Good luck down there ! Duck and cover, mates.

Evacuating Cairns Hospital now. Quantas and Jetstar have laid on extra flights . Some airports may be closed tonight.

Mckay considered a safe area with a forcasted cat 1 cyclone . Townsville cat2 .

Do your packing now Dale . Cat 4 @220kph through Cairns . Go now

Just heard from the Feds at the Airport that this monster is bringing a 23 foot surge of water with it, which will effectively mean that most of Cairns will go under for the duration of the blow.  @alan, mate if there was somewhere to run to I would be off, but when you live up here in the sticks you just have to hunker down and ride it out. Now, does anybody know how to attach a floatation device to a PC?? ;)

Cathy:  if she is due back today the conditions would have been just fine.

By due back I guess you mean Brisbane as the place.  If so fine.  If Cairns is her base, I doubt that Qantas would leave the aircraft there - they make poor boats I'm told.  One way or the other she should be ok.

If however she returns to Cairns - and her house is on a slope she'll have a lousy night tomorrow night that's true, but if its on low ground she'll be sleeping with better located friends and spending the night in a bathroom, or storm shelter.  I've only been through two Cat 1 cyclones, but 'nuff for me.

Listened to the Premier speaking and they are working on the problem with the people who have nowhere to go . The Army is active . They will have shelters/ refuges somewhere . Maybe worth checking out the websites of the State Gov , Emergency services and whoever else .

My house is tucked up high in the foothills on the southside of the city, so we will be fine water wise.  All GA aircraft have been flown to Mareeba, and the base hospital has been closed down and medical emergency services shifted to a large sporting complex just down the road from me.  I'll keep you all posted as things develop over the next 24 hours if I can.  ;)

And Cathy, every time I look at the weather map, I realise just what a monster this thing is.  Qantas have flown their last flights out so we are told on the news, but of course we can all follow it on live streaming nowadays.  ABC News 24 can be got through iView.

But if there is a storm surge then much of Cairns and maybe the airport will go under.  The professional boat people will have their vessels deep in the mangroves to allow the forest to absorb most of the energy of the waves.

I also recall hearing that Qantas was in the process of evacuating there staff.

What a summer.

Wow, diddn't even see this thread earlier today.

Geez, Dale, you better stay safe, you owe me a shit load of beers and I intend to collect them one day when I get up that way.

In all honesty, keep us informed and lay low, mate.

2011 has already dished up a heap of heartache and it appears has more to come.

What did us Queenslanders ever do to deserve this?

Frank

Well now... This one sucks.  For whatever reason, it seems really different to Larry.  Not just the size, but just a 'feel'.  Schools are out for the next three days (or beyond) but I am sure there will be plenty of work to be done.  I am about 100km south of Cairns in the REAL 'sticks'.  The infrastructure is weaker and, due to a lack of population, things aren't fixed as quickly here.  When TC Larry hit, people were without power for up to 6 weeks (those that had houses).  I think the media are really stuffing up with their sensationalism.  Just placing fear in the hearts and minds of people who don't need extra baggage at the moment. 

War stories afterwards, right Dale?  An ale at the Mena to accompany it sometime...

Well now... This one sucks.  For whatever reason, it seems really different to Larry.  Not just the size, but just a 'feel'.  Schools are out for the next three days (or beyond) but I am sure there will be plenty of work to be done.  I am about 100km south of Cairns in the REAL 'sticks'.  The infrastructure is weaker and, due to a lack of population, things aren't fixed as quickly here.  When TC Larry hit, people were without power for up to 6 weeks (those that had houses).  I think the media are really stuffing up with their sensationalism.  Just placing fear in the hearts and minds of people who don't need extra baggage at the moment. 

War stories afterwards, right Dale?  An ale at the Mena to accompany it sometime...

I'll hold you to that mate, it's been a long time since I graced the Mena!  ;)  Stay safe mate, looking at the latest prediction, they have the bugger coming in right between Cairns and Innisfail, not that it matters though, it's so bloody big.

Guys , I am truely worried about this one . You should go now - anywhere direct north or south -just go and drive for 10hrs. There is a possibility of it being a Cat 5 - 300kph . 

If you are going to stay I suggest amongst other things earplugs ,  not joking .  Just get out of there .

Archi, if you can just leave, you can always come back, like Alexf in Miami I'm in Ft-lauderdale and we know how devastating  Cyclone can be, some years ago we had 4 of them hitting Florida in the same summer....

Water wise you may be safe but wind wise that's another story,  higher you are the stronger they are.....PLEASE stay safe.

Wedge:  the media is sure playing the situation for all its worth.

But they didn't invent that satellite image.  A massive swirling torrential rainfall system, which has now been raised by the Bureau of Meteorology to a Category 4, with winds to 260k and a predicted tidal surge of 2.7mtrs.

Let the talking heads fill the airwaves, but don't let them stop you from taking a hard look at the situation.  Get organised and safe and I'll join you in the Mena for a beer after its all over.  And there will be floods to follow as the rain moves inland.  It ain't nice.

I'm a thousand clicks away, and it still scares the sh.t out of me.

Archived