Cyclone Yasi, here we go again....

Old Archie

with weather it is always difficult to compare one event to another, as there will always be slight differences in topography that will increase or decrease the effects,  that said all thoses in the path are in for one hell of a wild ride, good luck keep your heads down and i hope everyone pulls throught with no lose of life.

it is intresting thought to compare the differences in size thought, yasi makes the other TC's look like dots in comparson. would be intrested in seeing yasi compared to Typhoon Tip. at school over twenty years ago i remember a class i took, a  science one i think, we were learning about hurricanes, tropical cyclones and typhoons,  and from what i learned there it is not going to be good, espically it is a cat5.

again good luck guys up there we are thinking of you

Jason in Brisbane

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dale the ABC stats are bit incorrect the eye now has been measured at 100km wide

nearly 3 times at the ABC projection

but Willis has been flattened, the weather station no longer exists

but for those interested in whats its like to be in one you can watch it live via the live feed street webcams

http://www.goandroam.com/webcams/australia/cairns/

best of luck Dale, keep your head down

Lived through a couple of Huricanes in Nova Scotia, Canada. Huricane Juan packed a good punch. Made a mess of things. On the other hand these storms are quite something to live through. It is a reminder of how we pale to Mother Nature. SHe needs to be respected.

Hope all the best on this one and I will be keeping watch on the telly as well.

CHeers

Well it's really starting to blow now, power still on though, so that is good news.  All those webcams are down, either blown off the building or everyone is trying to access them at once!  My beer supply is holding out well I am pleased to report, so some good news!  ;)

They are now saying that she is gonna be as bad as or worse than Katrina.

I have already set up a donation page at OZx, the TV is already giving phone numbers so I figured why the hell not, I have given $500 myself already with another $500 to follow on Friday (payday) but even if you can just spare a dollar please donate:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7440-ozx-cyclone-yasi-donations-appeal

For all those overseas and elsewhere in this country, Yasi is now beginnning to build up on the tropical coast of Queensland.  Rain and wind have intensified, and nervous reporters are keeping us up to date.  A friend, in Townsville, projected to be on the southern edge of the severe weather sector of the cyclone,  has sent a Nokia video of the already strong wind and driving rain, and yet it has only started.

Our friends in Cairns who have posted here will now be bunkered down and we all hope safe and secure.

We went through a Cat 2 cyclone in Townsville some years ago, and I found that scary enough.  The home we were living in is on the beach.  It is now evacuated and I expect to see a picture of wreckage tomorrow after a 5-7 mtr storm surge has been through it.

Therefore I can only think and feel for those facing an antipodean Katrina, yet mightier still, in just a few hours.

wind howling, trees snapping, lights flickering, lost my side gate and half my side fence, beer supplies dwindling but spirits still high, and yet it has not even begun, still 110 ks off the coast!  ;)

probably my last post tonight guys getting ready to move family into bathroom to  see itout.  cant believe the power is still on here

Good luck Arch man, please God man, be safe!

with a calm demeanour and the right amount of lubrication a Queenslander can see anything through! 

sounds like a bloody freight train is landing on my roof, wish us luck guys, archie out  ;)

Mena Creek is still being smashed.  I made the decision to leave the house this morning and ride it out at work (a whole 30m from home).  Loads of damage at work but at this point I think we have a roof at home still...  I think.  The noise has been terrifying with the wind slowly changing direction as the eye eases past us to the south.  Lost power at 2200 and my wife and son found the ability to sleep.  All awake now though as this beast screams at us from every direction.  Incredible, terrifying and by morning's light I have a feeling it will be a saddening experience.  I fear for my students and their families and hope they are all safe and sound.  Sitting in pitch darkness (except for the laptop and the ipad which is acting as an emotional buffer for my son) not having a clue as to what awaits us in the morning.  Not cool.

Jeansy and Dale, here's hoping you guys are doing ok.  I will try to post pics and throw the snippets of video (audio considering the darkness) up when power is restored.  Better save the battery on the laptop, it could be a while. 

I would say the scale is a bit wrong there in the image below?

http://postimage.org/image/5k6gkm9w/

Aust is about as big as the US and it certainly is not as widespread as that.

Here is a link to show the size of the cyclone.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/satellite/sequadrant.shtml

And here

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

Good news Dale - hope all goes well for the cleanup ..... not so lucky for those a bit south at ground zero.

No news as yet of casualties which is very good news - hope that continues.

Did the beer hold out, or were you able to sober up ???  ;) ;)

Cheers

We sat up last night to follow the storm from the Gold Coast.

In one way it was good to see it go south of Cairns, although unfair on those who live and work in Mission Beach, Tully, Cardwell and Innisfail.  Townsville in the southern sector of the storm copped it quite hard, too.

Dale, you must feel bad about drinking all that beer against your will!  I hope our mate further south can enjoy a beer with you at the Mena - if it is still standing.

You guys just don't get a break, do you.  I haven't lived through a storm like Yasi, but I spent a good amount of time in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  So I can just barely imagine what everyone in Queensland is going through  Good luck to all in Queensland.  I'll be sure to donate some more to the relief fund.  Mike Gutierrez

Great to hear, Dale.

....but don't be thinkin that a disaster let's you off the hook on those beers, mate!

Frank

Mate, I only hit the emergency cyclone stock, didn't need to touch the 'Frank's Visit' stock, so you are lucky!  ;)  I'm just starting the cleanup, still gusting and rain squalls but I have a mountain of branches and leaves to get out of the pool and go next door and extricate my gate from the next door neighbours yard.  Feel sorry for Tully and Cardwell where emergency services have had to cut their way in this morning, apparently 90% of structures destroyed or unroofed, poor buggers.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement over the past 24 hours guys, much appreciated!  ;)

Glad  to read you  got  through  it all  safe  and not to much  damage.  And  you really  feel  for the  people  whos  houses  have been destroyed.  But  as they  keep  saying  you can replace  and  rebuild  all  that.  But  you cant  replace  people.  Cheers  Greg 8)

Archived