turbine or piston? benefits?

so whilst I understand we can't discuss other devs releases, I would like to know what are the benefits or differences between the turbine and the piston versions of a plane? I have watched a few videos of people waffling a lot but learned nothing....I'm looking at getting BS Duke, just wondering is there a reason to get one version over the other, I'm sure this will relate to lots of different GA planes....

• Like 2

In the real world, turbines offer more power, but slower response, and are much much easier to damage if you don't know how to manage power, torque and RPM settings.

In the sim, the modelling rarely makes you suffer when you treat 'em rough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Dow said:

In the real world, turbines offer more power, but slower response, and are much much easier to damage if you don't know how to manage power, torque and RPM settings.

In the sim, the modelling rarely makes you suffer when you treat 'em rough.

ah thanks for that, yeah we don't get the bill in the sim!....

• Like 1

You kind of identified it yourself, piston engines are internal combustion engines (often now called ICE), some of which have turbo charging, ie just a method of increasing power inside the ICE. Turbine engines are essentially jet engines (albeit with a propeller attached in some cases as against a pure jet), ie a turbine not a piston as its basis of operation. Jet engines operate differently from ICE  in terms of controls and offer better power but generally are slower to respond to power changes compared to ICE.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pilot100 said:

You kind of identified it yourself, piston engines are internal combustion engines (often now called ICE), some of which have turbo charging, ie just a method of increasing power inside the ICE. Turbine engines are essentially jet engines (albeit with a propeller attached in some cases as against a pure jet), ie a turbine not a piston as its basis of operation. Jet engines operate differently from ICE  in terms of controls and offer better power but generally are slower to respond to power changes compared to ICE.

The simplist explanation I've ever heard. Makes sense now. Thanks mate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As @pilot100 said, some piston engines are turbo charged, which seems to make things a bit confusing for some simmers, as the default Beechcraft version of the Duke is called Turbine Duke. This is because it boxer engines are turbo charged and not because they were turboprops, which they are not. 

The turboprop version of the Duke is "just" an expansion pack, offered by a 3rd party company as I understand it.

• Like 3

Either/or as long as I can get the dang thing off the ground. 😄

I prefer a light twin like the Piper Seminole or a single like the Piper Arrow or Archer, something along those lines. I like the looks of a low wing as opposed to a high wing they remind me of toy planes I had when I was a kid I guess.

• Like 1

Just to finish the conversation off,  and as Wolfko said above, according to fselite, Blacksquare have released the following :-

" Powerplant options for Duke come in the form of twin, turbocharged Lycoming piston engines, or the twin turbine-powered “Royal Duke” conversion featuring the Pratt & Whitney PT6A." 

So the Trubocharged is a piston engine Lycoming and the PT6A is a well know jet engine that is usually used as a turboprop engine.

Hope that helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1