Another Big Australian Blunder

Most people outside of our country - love to comment on the fact - that we are somewhat Blase about our poisonous snakes - huge spiders

- and a multitude of sharks - and other creatures that like to take bites etc out of us humans.

Sometime in the 20s (?) - some bright spark decided to import in North Queensland - a few creatures called a Cane Toad - into our sugar cane fields

to assist in getting rid of a pest damaging the crops.

Not only do we risk poison from my earlier critters - these ugly toads carry a poison in their sacs - enough to kill a dog - which loves to chase them around

the back yard

This little video demonstrates the stupidity of that decision - to the extent that Queensland is now unindated with the little sod.

The mass that is shown in the video - is just down the road from where I live - and very - very close to our mate - Graeme aka Boetie.

As also can be seen - they can grow to an enormous size - and theoretically - we are not supposed to kill with - say - with 5 iron - but catch

them and place them in one's freezer to give them a "Humane "death so say the Wokers

Needless to say - the cane field pest they were imported to kill - still exist - and the toad just increases exponentially.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/millions-of-cane-toads-take-over-queensland/video/07ece9db6f6782acc795f81152afdec3#video

• Like 4

They're all over my back yard. Unfortunately the dog is very curious, we have to keep an eye on him. They also love hopping into the pool. Constantly scooping them out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Certainly ugly and in plague proportions as they make their way

further south into NSW. It's a losing battle.

cheers

Gumby

You will be safe in Tassie mate - the Bass strait will see to that  -or by the time they get to Victoria - they will have learned to cross water

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

The Japanese have learned how to eat puffer fish which are highly poisonous. Maybe Australians could find a way to make cane toads into a daring delicacy to sell to tourists in expensive restaurants?

Well -that's one way to keep the pesky tourists that invade our facilities here on the Gold Coast - if they could'nt get rid of the poison

Personally though - sod the tourists - I enjoy a feed of frog's legs - and snails - now and again - monsewer Rodger ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

You will be safe in Tassie mate - the Bass strait will see to that  -or by the time they get to Victoria - they will have learned to cross water

My ugly mug will keep them away John. I'll be on the front line

like those characters out of Dads Army.

They won't stand a chance.😲

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 3

Hey John any sign of sunshine up there. Where's the 

hot dry Summer. You need to come down here.

Bloody weather forecasters, what's one to believe.

I hope you and family are as dry as can be.☂️

Take care.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 4:06 AM, Stillwater said:

If there was a need to import deadly animals to Australia...

This article will probably delight you - so be more careful - next time in God's country:D

Displaced crocodiles and snakes on the move in Queensland as heavy rain bolsters animal populations (msn.com)

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1