MSFS Update - DX12

renault

To be honest, I was both surprised and disappointed  with DX12 performance with the latest 40th anniversary update.

DX12 performance was best described as "odd"  -  it didn't seem that either my CPU or GPU was overloaded but I was getting fps numbers around 18 -20

I have everything on ultra, 1440p, locked at 30 fps , LOD at 175 .   Putting everything down to low and LOD at 5 and nothing changed which made me rather suspicious.

This was with the Nvidia 522.25 driver.  It was very smooth and didn't act like the fps was so low, but the main thread was running at about 80 

Just plain peculiar ...  DX11 performance was pretty much the same as I had been getting with su10. 

Over the last few days I  have been following a lot of tests in other DX12 games with the latest 522.86 driver.  Release notes and results in various videos elaborated on the improved 

DX12 memory optimization in this driver , although there is nothing in its release notes regarding MS2020.

I upgraded from the 522.25 driver to the latest 522.86 driver and in my cases the results were staggering. Memory utilization is about 500 MB less than in SU10 DX12 and GPU utilization measured with CPU-z is about 10% less  .  This is subjective of course, but it is the smoothest DX12 experience I have had to date

and is much more fluid than in DX11.  I'm not a fps "chaser", for me it is about visual fidelity and fluid behaviour  with no stutters.

So if you are experiencing difficulties with the 522.25 driver in DX12 , I would really recommended this as an alternative.  If you are not, or are happy with DX11 performance, then

the old adage applies.  " Don't mess with success ..... "

I hope this may be of help if you are experiencing difficulties.  But if you aren't and did get this far, thank you for taking the time to read through this note.

Be happy that the girl you went to the dance with is the one who you will see again  and stick with what is working well for you.

Cheers

Pete

I have attached  test screenshots I took at Orbx Mackay and one in the harbour at Skiathos

This is with DX12 and DLSS at Quality settings

1-Flight-Simulator-2022-11-11-14-44-23.j

2-Screenshot-637.jpg

And a few randoms....

3-DX11.jpg

4-Flight-Simulator.jpg

5-Flight-Simulator-2022-11-09-10-36-11.j

• Like 7

I see that you missed the driver 522.47 - and if you had used it -most of what you found would have been there.

I tried to suggest this driver to those who were having problems with crashes - and for myself I also saw a big improvement

in the performance of my RTX 3060 - but still on DX11 - with the DLSS @Quality 

Now that i have seen your suggestions - 522.86 is being installed and I will give DX12 a go for the first time

If anything goes wrong - I will blame you :D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Quality shots Pete, you have to be happy with those.

Don

I am really pleased with how it is turning out.

Cheers Don :)

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I see that you missed the driver 522.47 - and if you had used it -most of what you found would have been there.

I tried to suggest this driver to those who were having problems with crashes - and for myself I also saw a big improvement

in the performance of my RTX 3060 - but still on DX11 - with the DLSS @Quality 

Now that i have seen your suggestions - 522.86 is being installed and I will give DX12 a go for the first time

If anything goes wrong - I will blame you :D

I accept responsibility , but you know your way around these things so have fun :):)

I did see what you wrote earlier  and I was going to give it a go. .

I attended a gaming forum a few weeks ago , and  so I knew that there was an update to the .47 driver coming out shortly. 

Nvidia is  working a lot on improving DX12 performance as it is now becoming quite widely accepted in the gaming community.

So I decided to wait and go with the .86 one.

Cheers John & thanks for commenting.:)

• Thanks 1

renault Says:

Over the last few days I  have been following a lot of tests in other DX12 games with the latest 522.86 driver.  Release notes and results in various videos elaborated on the improved 

DX12 memory optimization in this driver , although there is nothing in its release notes regarding MS2020.

I upgraded from the 522.25 driver to the latest 522.86 driver and in my cases the results were staggering. Memory utilization is about 500 MB less than in SU10 DX12 and GPU utilization measured with CPU-z is about 10% less  .  This is subjective of course, but it is the smoothest DX12 experience I have had to date

and is much more fluid than in DX11.  I'm not a fps "chaser", for me it is about visual fidelity and fluid behaviour  with no stutters.

Hmm, have i missed something here regards new drivers, latest driver, you say 522.86! 

Sorry, but i cannot find any 522.86 driver, but i find one 526.86 driver!!

Are you sure that 522.86 is the one you talking about and not 526.86?

Cheers.

Just my 2 cents to this subject...

As long as DX12 is still in beta I'm not going to use it. 

When introducing DX12 beta months ago, MS/Asobo warned that this might cause odd behavior of the sim depending on the system.

At last ironing out such issues is the purpose of a beta.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bakern said:

Hmm, have i missed something here regards new drivers, latest driver, you say 522.86! 

Sorry, but i cannot find any 522.86 driver, but i find one 526.86 driver!!

Are you sure that 522.86 is the one you talking about and not 526.86?

Cheers.

526.86 - is the correct one - GeForce Game Ready Driver | 526.86 | Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11 | NVIDIA

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wolfko said:

Just my 2 cents to this subject...

As long as DX12 is still in beta I'm not going to use it. 

When introducing DX12 beta months ago, MS/Asobo warned that this might cause odd behavior of the sim depending on the system.

At last ironing out such issues is the purpose of a beta.

Hi Wolfgang

It is good to hear that you have a technology solution that works for you and you can enjoy MS2020.:)

All the best 

Pete

• Like 1

@renault - Hi Pete - to Quote you above :----

""

I hope this may be of help if you are experiencing difficulties.  But if you aren't and did get this far, thank you for taking the time to read through this note.

Be happy that the girl you went to the dance with is the one who you will see again  and stick with what is working well for you."""

on Jan 1 - 1953 - I met this tall good-looking female at the New Years day dance at the local hop - she gave me an apple - and that is 70 years ago

on Jan 1 next - she is still at my side - doesn't give me apples anymore - just the juice - no teeth :D

PS no probs with DX 12 yet - maybe a small drop in FPS but that is not important because like you I am set at 30 FPS most of the time

ie 50% monitor HZ

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Heaton said:

@renault - Hi Pete - to Quote you above :----

""

Be happy that the girl you went to the dance with is the one who you will see again  and stick with what is working well for you."""

on Jan 1 - 1953 - I met this tall good-looking female at the New Years day dance at the local hop - she gave me an apple - and that is 70 years ago

on Jan 1 next - she is still at my side - doesn't give me apples anymore - just the juice - no teeth :D

PS no probs with DX 12 yet - maybe a small drop in FPS but that is not important because like you I am set at 30 FPS most of the time

ie 50% monitor HZ

Hi John

Thank you for sharing this.

It is really a nice feeling to read that "forever" actually does exist in real life after all. :)

I wish you and your beloved lady, many, many more happy times together.

And good to hear that DX12 is working nicely for you as well 

All the best:)

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1