Which MSFS version to buy?

Jack Sawyer

24 minutes ago, BradB said:

Not yet but I think by the end of the year there should be a Chase Plane version for MSFS . 

Dang I hope so.

I just installed it and it's intimidating.  And I have no idea how to buy the PMDG or install it.

And when I ran MSFS I got this box, it tells me my Virtual Fly stuff won't work.  

74L6MJD.jpg

14 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Drone camera great for exploring, I use an old wired Xbox 360 controller, currently beta testing a traffic add-on and it's so much easier to get around and check... I also have x52 Pro stick and thrust master airbus Captain edition stick and throttle set, all work flawlessly with MSFS... I actually don't miss chaseplane....

I don't think I'd be comfortable with an extra controller but that's just me, no offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I don't think I'd be comfortable with an extra controller but that's just me, no offense.

No offense taken Jack, MSFS is a bit daunting at first but once you play around with it you'll find you adapt quite easily... there's lots of help and as you know this forum is full of friendly people who'll always offer assistance, sometimes though it can take a while as we're all in different time zones....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, wain71 said:

No offense taken Jack, MSFS is a bit daunting at first but once you play around with it you'll find you adapt quite easily... there's lots of help and as you know this forum is full of friendly people who'll always offer assistance, sometimes though it can take a while as we're all in different time zones....

Much appreciated Wain!  Thanks.

• Like 2

Hello Jack

The PMDG aircraft are not listed in the Marketplace yet, so until they send it across it is still at PMDG.

Your controls will work, it is just that you will have to set them up as we did in FSX and P3D, as it says to Create a custom scheme, there are many more options in MSFS.

You will also need to go to the Marketplace on the Welcome screen, click on World at the top and you will see all the World updates which you will need to install.

At the bottom is Content Manager this will also show any that are not installed, both should be checked after any World updates.

Just take your time mate, and work through it steadily, there is a lot to get your head around, it took me quite a while to get the basics and I am nowhere near proficient yet.

You will get there, slowly but surely, as they say Rome was not built in a day :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Hello Jack

The PMDG aircraft are not listed in the Marketplace yet, so until they send it across it is still at PMDG.

Your controls will work, it is just that you will have to set them up as we did in FSX and P3D, as it says to Create a custom scheme, there are many more options in MSFS.

You will also need to go to the Marketplace on the Welcome screen, click on World at the top and you will see all the World updates which you will need to install.

At the bottom is Content Manager this will also show any that are not installed, both should be checked after any World updates.

Just take your time mate, and work through it steadily, there is a lot to get your head around, it took me quite a while to get the basics and I am nowhere near proficient yet.

You will get there, slowly but surely, as they say Rome was not built in a day :)

Hi Smudger, I got it and installed it but haven't had a chance to load it yet.  I see, Custom, good, thanks.  I plan on spending some quality time this evening with my iPad and type out every single last command like I did in P3D and then associate certain commands with my devices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Um, I don't have a Xbox game controller, I thought I mentioned that above.  I do have a PS5 controller though. :huh:

PS5 should work , but I got my controller on Amazon for like 25 bucks . 

I realise that some time ago - Jack gave us his reasons for not adopting MS 2020 and it's lack of aircraft

that appealed to him

Knowing Jack as we all do - I don't think he will be upset by my analogy of him - with all the foregoing

as the old nursery story of Rip Van Winkle waking up after 2 years  ----  and subsequent discoveries:D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I realise that some time ago - Jack gave us his reasons for not adopting MS 2020 and it's lack of aircraft

that appealed to him

Knowing Jack as we all do - I don't think he will be upset by my analogy of him - with all the foregoing

as the old nursery story of Rip Van Winkle waking up after 2 years  ----  and subsequent discoveries:D

You are correct sir.  Now that I took a quick flight I’m amazed.  What amazes me the most is how busy Orbx has been.  I mean $6K in airports and scenery!  I’m hoping to find the time today to program my controls, learn how to take a screenshot, and buy at least one Orbx airport.

• Upvote 1

Good to see you back and stepping slowly into the new waters Jack. Once you get things settled down with MSFS, you will enjoy flying the PMDG 737 in MSFS. You have already received tons of good info from everyone else, so I will just say take it slow, keep digging into the sim more deep as you get used to it and it will start to make more sense. I will say this about the camera system, since you asked about Chaseplane. As mentioned by someone else, there is no current program like Chaseplane yet. BUT, MSFS DOES have a built in camera system that is MUCH more robust than P3D's is. That said, it is quite different to set it up and get used to how to use it. What makes it MUCH easier to use is an Xbox controller or an Xbox like controller. You can by one of these separate from having an Xbox, and they work flawlessly with PC, since both Windows and XBox are Microsoft. An Xbox style controller, when you plug it in, will be automatically configured in MSFS to use and operate the in sim camera controls for the drone, and external views. The drone view is the most Chaseplane like feature of the MSFS camera system. Without an Xbox style controller setup to control the cameras in MSFS, it can be much more difficult to configure the camera controls for joystick or keyboard control. The Xbox controller is much more intuitive. 

At any rate, have fun and see you in the virtual skies! :)

Landon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Good to see you back and stepping slowly into the new waters Jack. Once you get things settled down with MSFS, you will enjoy flying the PMDG 737 in MSFS. You have already received tons of good info from everyone else, so I will just say take it slow, keep digging into the sim more deep as you get used to it and it will start to make more sense. I will say this about the camera system, since you asked about Chaseplane. As mentioned by someone else, there is no current program like Chaseplane yet. BUT, MSFS DOES have a built in camera system that is MUCH more robust than P3D's is. That said, it is quite different to set it up and get used to how to use it. What makes it MUCH easier to use is an Xbox controller or an Xbox like controller. You can by one of these separate from having an Xbox, and they work flawlessly with PC, since both Windows and XBox are Microsoft. An Xbox style controller, when you plug it in, will be automatically configured in MSFS to use and operate the in sim camera controls for the drone, and external views. The drone view is the most Chaseplane like feature of the MSFS camera system. Without an Xbox style controller setup to control the cameras in MSFS, it can be much more difficult to configure the camera controls for joystick or keyboard control. The Xbox controller is much more intuitive. 

At any rate, have fun and see you in the virtual skies! :)

Landon

Thanks Landon.  I spent several hours today testing and configuring.  In my opinion the default camera system in MSFS far exceeds ChasePlane's.  I used to have an Xbox a long time ago and today I found in my box of electronic junk and actual wired Xbox controller so I'll plug it in when I get a chance.

I think I'm going to buy some Orbx stuff in a little while so I can post screen shots.

Cheers.

J

• Like 3