Potassium and the Heart

Last month I had an experience that I want to share with my oldie mates - and something called potassium  

Last month I had my usual Blood tests to check as normal 12 months - and that night at 12 30 we got an urgent phone call

telling me to to the hospital without delay

+

Apparently my potassium had blown out and I was almost at the Heart attack state - I spent the next 4 days in the GC Hospital whilst they 

cleaned up the problems and return me to normal :wacko:

I'd never heard about Potassium in the blood before - and what effect it has on the old ticker

• Like 5

I know exactly what you're talking about John. The chemotherapy that I'm on really messes with my electrolytes and immune system. I have to go into the Cancer Center at least once a week, sometimes twice to have bloodwork done. I take a potassium supplement daily right now, to try and keep everything semi-normal. Unfortunately my cancer (multiple myeloma) is terminal, so I live day by day.

Take care, and hang in there.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank You Roger, it is greatly appreciated and a heartfelt thank you to everyone on this forum.

I used to flight sim a lot, but its pretty hard to have much interest in very many things right now if you know what I mean.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

got to look after ourselves, young and old, John you take it steady sir and follow the docs orders, Kodiak you hang on in there and make the most of what you can....2 years ago (aged 54) I suffered a Cardiac Arrest, lucky for me I was in an Ambulance at the time, cpr, 4 minutes, wasn't working but the defib brought me back, noticed lately my health is going down but here in the UK it's hard to get an appointment still...I only mention this because I am still struggling in my head to come to terms with what happened to me, makes me sound like a right wimp, but you just can't help it......

you know that's the first time I have said (virtually) out loud how I feel and struggle.....apologies for jumping the thread...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was put on a  potassium diet, because I had very high readings for some months

prior to my Kidney and Pancreas transplant. Worst diet ever. They give you an awful 

powder solution to mix with water, it use to make me gag. No more salty foods, etc,etc.

Now back to normal. I hope I never go on that diet again.:(

cheers 

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 2