YBBN on MSFS still has shocking performance

Takadiurga

As the title reads, YBBN on MSFS still has awfully shocking performance compared to every other third-party addon available for the simulator.

I'm obviously aware that Orbx missed the boat a bit with this one, and built the scenery for another simulator entirely - and that clearly hasn't transitioned well when ported into MSFS. The work was already started, prior to MSFS2020 being released to my knowledge, so abandoning the investment into the "P3D Development Focused First" scenery probably wasn't viable. However, I get barely 20 frames at this airport, whilst obtaining 40+ from similar or even better quality offerings such as FlyTampa's YSSY + Orbx landmarks.

i9-9900K @4.89GHz

RTX 2080
32GB DDR4 RAM

2TB NVMe M.2 SSD

There's been numerous posts about the poor performance at YBBN on this forum, and I'm curious to know when we can expect performance enhancements to be made? For an airport with such low-res textures, and no landside area like handcrafted airports made for MSFS, it really is a massive disappointment that the performance is so lackluster

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have to agree with @Takadiurgathat the performance of YBBN is... not great. My performance numbers are pretty close to what they are getting as well, albeit slightly higher overall (using the High preset, with some tweaks). But the stuttering and hitching is very jarring.

i9-10850K @4.89GHz

RTX 3090
32GB DDR4 RAM

2TB NVMe M.2 SSD

A personal nit pick is the lack of DHL branded building in the cargo area

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just flew a test at YBBN in the Aermacchi MB339 with YBBN and Brisbane City Pack enabled.

Takeoff and flying around YBBN I had no problems with the performance.  No fps counter but it all looked smooth, just some minor stutters during major changes of attitude or direction.

Headed over to the city and performance was still good but as I turned  left and right over and around the city I was getting pauses and stutters.  I then turned off photogrammetry as the Brisbane area is a well known resource hog for PG, and the performance went back to smooth everywhere.

Conclusion.  Photogrammetry is probably the biggest contributor to poor performance in the Brisbane area, without it, on my average spec computer, the scenery presents no problems.

By the ay this is running 4K 3840 x 2160, 95% Render Scaling slider, and most settings High with texture settings at Ultra.

I agree with all of you !

Before Australia Update (WU VII) , i used to have a great performance Including both Orbx YBBN and Landmarks Brisbane  !

After the Update , my Frames dropped from 40-50 down to 18-30 with many stutters !! Not good :unsure: 

Turning Photogrammetry Off (Following John advice ) i got an immediate increase in frames up to 45 ! and No stutters !

I hope Orbx team comes with a solution asap !!

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing about MSFS photogrammetry is that it can be turned off. It looks ugly, takes ages to load and hampers performance much more than the autogen buildings. I was disappointed to see that the Sydney cityscape update was created to work best with the default photogrammetry turned on and there's no option to adapt it to the situation when photogrammetry is turned off, but obviously most people don't seem to mind the awful quality of the PG and those who turn it off are the minority. 

2 hours ago, fabs79 said:

The best thing about MSFS photogrammetry is that it can be turned off. It looks ugly, takes ages to load and hampers performance much more than the autogen buildings. I was disappointed to see that the Sydney cityscape update was created to work best with the default photogrammetry turned on and there's no option to adapt it to the situation when photogrammetry is turned off, but obviously most people don't seem to mind the awful quality of the PG and those who turn it off are the minority. 

I object. For me photogrammetry is one of the best festures of MSFS. Without it MSFS cities and autogen buildings look just like default P3d, FSX or XPlane.

Edited by wolfko

9 hours ago, wolfko said:

I object. For me photogrammetry is one of the best festures of MSFS. Without it MSFS cities and autogen buildings look just like default P3d, FSX or XPlane.

For me Photogrammetry looks like a city has been hit by a nuclear blast. The geometry is distorted, the colors desaturated, trees look like gelatinous blobs or, like the palm trees in Santa Barbara, like lava columns. And check out the bridges in Portland to see what PG just cannot do. And comparing the autogen to the one in P3D or fsx is laughable, those were just square blocks of roughly the size of the real building but nothing more. The AI generated autogen in MSFS has the correct shape, size, roof color, often facade color, height and sometimes even correct roof type (gabled, flat). Only the Orbx true earth regions in P3D had comparable accuracy when it came to autogen, and together with some handmade significant Landmark buildings the MSFS autogen provides a very good impression of a city, but compared to PG with vibrant colors, straight geometry and great performance. Just try flying from somewhere further away into a PG city that you've never been to before so it's not in your cache. On my system the PG slowly loads in higher detailed LODs while I fly over the city, which leads to continuous morphing of the shapes below. Maybe it's better with a faster computer, but even when the city is fully loaded the textures and geometry still hurt my eyes. I was born and raised in Freiburg, so I decided to give the PG a try there and immediately turned it off again even before I took off from EDTF because even from my parking position I could see those horrible surrealistic shapes the sim throws at me. With PG off I can still recognize the suburbs, small lakes and parks, train stations and instantly spot the Freiburg Cathedral as it is a custom model, and I prefer that over PG every day. But I realize that I'm the minority here and that most people are excited to see their own house or local pub even if they look like they've been built by Salvador Dali. The good thing is that Asobo let's you choose what you prefer so everyone can be happy with what best fits their personal taste. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fabs79 said:

But I realize that I'm the minority here and that most people are excited to see their own house or local pub even if they look like they've been built by Salvador Dali.

You are not alone my friend. I feel exactly the way you do regarding PG and autogen in MSFS. All those points you made about PG in MSFS are the same complaints I have had with PG. I can't explain the fascination with seeing your house in the sim. I could care less. I sim so I can see other places in the world. If I want to see me house, I walk out the front door and look at it :) The autogen in MSFS IS exceptionally good, MUCH better then in P3D. I see solid bridges, molten trees, melted buildings and I simply cannot ignore them. And, I DO have a very capable, fast computer, and I still get the nuclear blast look in PG mode. Minority, maybe yes. But for the life of me I cannot understand how so many people are just okay with the PG and can look past all the defects, especially when there is such a capable and great looking autogen mode. But, thankfully, yes, you are correct, we can have it either way we like in MSFS. Thank goodness! :D

Landon

On 5/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, fabs79 said:

The dev tried hard to get both PG on and off to work but PG just won't let that happen, so a decision had to go one way or the other.  PG won, because MSFS has developed places like Canberra where PG is pretty well mandatory.

With PG off, there are many more problems that just the ends of the harbour bridge, many of the roads in the CBD are malformed and look worse than even the melted PG buildings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Dow said:

The dev tried hard to get both PG on and off to work but PG just won't let that happen, so a decision had to go one way or the other.  PG won, because MSFS has developed places like Canberra where PG is pretty well mandatory.

With PG off, there are many more problems that just the ends of the harbour bridge, many of the roads in the CBD are malformed and look worse than even the melted PG buildings.

Thank you for the explanation John. It's sad that those compromises had to be made, for the Sydney Cityscape looked perfect before the Australia world update, so for those that own the Orbx Cityscapes things have actually gotten worse in those areas. But I believe that Frank did his best to adapt the product to the new circumstances.