A blast from the past.....

W2DR

Over the weekend I decided to clean up some of the "junk" on my 47TB of HDD. On one of the drives I ran across my old FSX add-on files. All 927GB of them. As I hadn't used FSX in years I started to delete them. But then I looked again. There was some really good stuff in there. Sort of like old friends. But now it's a whole new ballgame. Or is it? The lightbulb suddenly came on. Why not just reinstall P3Dv3 and use all your favorite FSX stuff there? And that's what I'm doing. I don't know how much of the FSX stuff will run in P3Dv3 but I suspect most will and it's looking good so far. Fingers crossed.

Edited by W2DR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey W2DR, I tried MSFS and felt very confined by the limited selection of aircraft available. So I reinstalled FSX with its limitless range of aircraft. But it was frustrating to have the blink-on scenery tiles and the 32-bit limitations, so I installed P3D4 for the scenery with hopes that I could bring forward favorite planes. To my delight, almost all FSX planes can make the jump. I went to my supplier account purchase libraries and reinstalled many fresh in their P3D4 versions. Others, I just dropped and dragged FSX as-is with no problems. The only ones that didn't jump were those freeware planes that had been ported forward into FSX from FS9 with FS2002 components. But they still worked in FSX, so I just fly them there (C-7 Caribou, for example). With the the full Orbx global and regional scenery packages installed, I'm finding P3D4 really nice to fly. And,as you say, it's sure nice to have access to all your plane friendly favorites.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

When I built my new computer three months ago I saved the SSD with all the FSX "stuff" on it and installed it in the new machine as one of the drives.  I can access all the files but  FSX won't run on the new machine.  I still have the original installation disk and some day I may reinstall FSX,  but for now I am enjoying P3D.

Hello,

for the record only, I have also recently made a clean installation of Windows 10 and of FSX.

Also for the record, I was able to activate it at the Microsoft servers and almost as expected,

I had to make the PartMgr registry fix before Acceleration would activate, but then it did also.

This is at variance with numerous posts in other forums that allege that Microsoft have switched

off the online activation.

It works just as it should.

Here is is in full screen, see if you can identify the airfield. :)

2048 click to enlarge

2021-8-12_8-17-46-557.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I remember now. KLAX is one of those places where the big jets land. I should have known that wasn't KLAX because I didn't see any of them there and there is no smog obscuring the mountains. Silly me.

• Haha 1