ENSG, Sogndal Haukasen - A Challenging Destination!

I constructed a 25 minute flight into Sogndal from an airport located to the North West.

The flight traversed fjords & mountains, & I used SoFly UK Light Snow for weather.

Navigating with a GPS & using an AP I thought I would find Sogndal quite easily.

Not so.

I decided to abandon the magenta line about 10 miles out & follow the a fjord coastline in to Sogndal, assuming Sogndal was nestled on the edge of the fjord.

It isn't, in fact its cut onto a plateau about a mile back from the fjord coast line.

So I overshot, turned around & made a rather steep approach & went ice skating on the runway.

I was surprised to find a Caudron waiting for me.

Once again Andreas has come up with a nifty airport in a spectacular setting.

So, If you want a compact airport in stunning scenery, with tricky approaches from both ends, this is it!

TTM (MSFS)

Dropping down into a fjord near Sogndal. I thought the airport was somewhere further along the shore line on the left.

s-1.jpg

Abandoned the shore line & turned back, now setting up a rather steep approach. You can see how ENSG is situated up from & inland of, the fjord. 

s-2.jpg

Not in a good situation - short & off to the side. Slid graciously sideways for awhile.

s-3.jpg

Surprise, a Caudron!

s-4.jpg

Nice to see immediate environs of the Sogndal terminal have under surface heating to clear the snow.:)

s-5.jpg

On 7/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, TigerTigerM said:

Once again Andreas has come up with a nifty airport in a spectacular setting.

So, If you want a compact airport in stunning scenery, with tricky approaches from both ends, this is it!

TTM (MSFS)

Thanks Tiger! You can train your instrumental flight skills with ILS or LOC/DME approaches if conditions are bad for a visual approach. Both localizers are present in the scenery.

Archived